Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got out of the black hole and took delivery yesterday. It wasn't a great time to do it: it was dark, rainy, and the place where they keep the "new car deliveries" is also not very well lit.
I only drove it for 20 min, enough to reach the detailer to get it OptiCoat'ed.

My detailer found a small chip on the rear right wheel on the hub side. It looks like QC caught it at Tesla since its marked green already.
View attachment 66381

I'm surprised they let it pass, but anyway: what's the best way to get it fixed? I emailed delivery@ this morning but haven't heard back.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

I had a chip on the front bumper, in the corner. I asked for a bottle of touchup paint to give to my detailer. I figured it wasn't worth the time or effort to replace, plus I won't have to worry about getting my "first" paint chip. ;)

But agree that this shouldn't have been missed. Car was otherwise perfect though.

IMG_3111.JPG

It's impossible to read too much into this data point: at 29º F., driving 75, mph I'd be surprised if my S85 on 19" Goodyears did better than about 350 Wh/mi overall. Throw in 21" winter tires and a fudge factor for hills and wind, and 400 Wh/mi doesn't seem outrageously high.

Give us more data, folks! Please?

I agree too with those conditions and that speed I would have been at 400 with 19" wheels too. Higher speeds in the cold really hit the range. Cold air is much more dense than warm air. More molecules to push out of the way. That's one of the reasons ICE get poor economy in the winter when comparing it to summer.

Yeah, (I know it's tough...probably even tougher with a P85D :wink:), but remember Tesla's range numbers are not factored at 75mph...that excessive speed hammers the Wh/mi figure...

It's not a good idea to read too much into this data point: at 29º F., driving 75, mph I'd be surprised if my S85 on 19" Goodyears did better than about 350 Wh/mi overall. Throw in 21" winter tires and a fudge factor for hills and wind, and 400 Wh/mi doesn't seem outrageous.

Give us more data, folks! Please?

I had a chip on the front bumper, in the corner. I asked for a bottle of touchup paint to give to my detailer. I figured it wasn't worth the time or effort to replace, plus I won't have to worry about getting my "first" paint chip. ;)

But agree that this shouldn't have been missed. Car was otherwise perfect though.

I hope your car really is perfect. I mean that!

But playing devil's advocate, I think in all fairness you'd probably agree that you'd have to edit your statement above to read:

"Car APPEARED otherwise COSMETICALLY perfect though."

My point is if these two things that we can see got by, what else may have? Hopefully nothing, or certainly nothing really important. But isn't that what's in the back of many of our minds when we worry about taking delivery in December of a new model that Tesla was hurrying to make year-end numbers on?

Production Complete
Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery.

Interesting ... perhaps they were waiting for yours to finish before shipping mine so they could go together (Tesla HQ told me that mine was scheduled to go on a truck today).

Have you actually gotten any estimated delivery dates or your paperwork yet? I've been having a problem getting anything from the DS.

- - - Updated - - -

I've got to admit, this concerns me.

Tesla identified a problem, but let the car out the door anyway. Would they have done that if it wasn't December, and they didn't need to get a lot of cars delivered? What other problems might they be marking in green, but allowing to be delivered? What problems might they not be catching at all?

Is this just a "one-off" kind of thing, and am I doing a good "Chicken Little" impression? Or might we have just seen the tip of the iceberg?

The green marking is on the hub, the chip is on the wheel -- could just be coincidence, and it was not actually noticed by QC. Still troubling either way.

I hope your car really is perfect. I mean that!

But playing devil's advocate, I think in all fairness you'd probably agree that you'd have to edit your statement above to read:

"Car APPEARED otherwise COSMETICALLY perfect though."

My point is if these two things that we can see got by, what else may have? Hopefully nothing, or certainly nothing really important. But isn't that what's in the back of many of our minds when we worry about taking delivery in December of a new model that Tesla was hurrying to make year-end numbers on?

My previous 2013 P85 required a new powertrain plus a half dozen visits for other minor fit and finish issues. But QC should be better now.

View attachment 66382

Personally, I wouldn't have accepted anything less than Tesla having that part repainted.

It's a brand new $100K car -- and that is a big chip. Chips are not inevitable either -- I have none on my 2008 Porsche, with no sort of clear bra either.

I'm probably hyper-sensitive to potential problems because although I hear what everyone has said about Tesla being excellent about correcting early build problems, I am in the middle of no where, and any problem that needs correcting will involve the ranger service and a fair bit of hassle. That's what I'm nervous about, so when I see the two examples of little, minor things that got by quality control, it worries me.

Finally heard from my DS today. Car has been in production since 12/5 and is "at the very end of production". She scheduled me for pickup on 12/24, though it is still tentative. She said probably won't have next gen seats. I asked her what the car was stuck on, and she mentioned probably the seats. When I asked her why it is stuck if they aren't giving me Next Gen seats, she said maybe there is an outside chance of getting the car with the seats. - Whatever

I'm not really sure what role the DS plays. I've learned way more from this thread and the website than I have from the DS. If it is a service role, it doesn't seem empowered or effective. If it is a transactional role, I have yet to give her paperwork - everything has been online. If it is just to be the person to answer the phone, it's about as effective as Comcast's call center - without the voice prompts.

Oh wow - now I've contributed to the Tesla griping on this forum too! How did that happen?!? - still looking forward to the car ;-)

Personally, I wouldn't have accepted anything less than Tesla having that part repainted.

It's a brand new $100K car -- and that is a big chip. Chips are not inevitable either -- I have none on my 2008 Porsche, with no sort of clear bra either.

I considered that option, but consulted with my detailer who said it would be an easy fix. I think if the car hadn't been so delayed, I might have chosen to wait for a fix, but life has to go on!

So I got the standard call that I am not getting next gen seats at this time, which I expected. However, the seats that are being shipped are an "updated version of the original" with "bigger head rests for whiplash protection."
Just like most on this forum, I can keep theses "updated originals" and the $3,500 or wait to take the next gen seats in Jan/Feb.

Not being a Tesla owner (this week anyway), I really don't know the difference. I am checking out these new base model seats on Saturday but will have no experience with the next gen seats to compare against.

So what is everyone here doing? Are the next gen seats really worth the $3500?

So I got the standard call that I am not getting next gen seats at this time, which I expected. However, the seats that are being shipped are an "updated version of the original" with "bigger head rests for whiplash protection."
Just like most on this forum, I can keep theses "updated originals" and the $3,500 or wait to take the next gen seats in Jan/Feb.

Not being a Tesla owner (this week anyway), I really don't know the difference. I am checking out these new base model seats on Saturday but will have no experience with the next gen seats to compare against.

So what is everyone here doing? Are the next gen seats really worth the $3500?

Definitely get the NextGen seats! Its one of the few items that distinguishes the P85D from all other Model S.

I'll post the steering wheel pic and interior pic later. Any other questions just let me know.

Can you select all of your cold weather options and then see which ones remain on when you get out of the car and come back in?

With my current cold weather package, the heat stays on for the front seats, but not for the rear. I'd like to know if the heat stays on for the steering wheel.

Most manufacturers have a timer on the wheel to turn off automatically after about 5 minutes or after it reaches a certain temperature.

Finally got out of the black hole and took delivery yesterday. It wasn't a great time to do it: it was dark, rainy, and the place where they keep the "new car deliveries" is also not very well lit.

My detailer found a small chip on the rear right wheel on the hub side. It looks like QC caught it at Tesla since its marked green already.

I'm surprised they let it pass, but anyway: what's the best way to get it fixed? I emailed delivery@ this morning but haven't heard back.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the hub and it's just the chip on the wheel, I'd just ask your local Service Center to swap out the wheel. 10 minute job. They could do it while you wait or even possibly come to your house and swap it in your driveway.

Agreed on the concern that there could be other QC issues buried deeper that were let by, but at least they seem to be well marked! ;-)

View attachment 66381

Suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Greg

Contact your service center. I'm sure they will swap it out for you. It's obvious it was delivered that way.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the hub and it's just the chip on the wheel, I'd just ask your local Service Center to swap out the wheel. 10 minute job. They could do it while you wait or even possibly come to your house and swap it in your driveway.

Agreed on the concern that there could be other QC issues buried deeper that were let by, but at least they seem to be well marked! ;-)

This is my top concern with the blackhole cars.