Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine sent me this. It was taken somewhere in Alabama. Two 18 wheelers packed with Teslas.

10806204_10202608051597407_1065259620355622371_n.jpg

I took delivery today. Sadly, no pictures worth sharing just yet, as the car is now in the hands of my detailer getting cleaned up and film installed before I leave for my trip. First impression matches others here:

1/ Much more refined than my P85+. You can tell the car has gone through many refinements over the past 20 months.
2/ Acceleration - it's FAST, but as the driver it didn't scare me, which may actually be a problem. You can hit triple digits (theoretically, of course) very quickly, and the ride is so quiet and smooth you won't realize it. I mostly drove in sport mode, with one launch in insane mode.
3/ On the highway I averaged 335 wH/mile on a 5-mile run at 60-70mph.
4/ The higher resolution display on the instrument cluster is much easier on the eyes.
5/ Noise - I do not think it's any noisier than my P85+. You hear the normal whine on acceleration, but while cruising it seemed fine.
6/ Stereo - yeah, it's still not great. I'll probably do the Reus system again (although they need to figure out how to mount the center tweeter as the mirror area has changed.)

I'll be sure to share pictures and more thoughts/data from my road trip over the next two weeks.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the car was delivered with 28 miles on the odo, and almost a full charge showing 238 rated miles (the techs doing the inspection went for a quick spin.) Version 6.0 (2.0.72) of the software, and an update is already pending.

Andrew

Congrats!! Enjoy it and drive safe.

I just stopped by the Dania Beach location. They are literally swimming in P85D's. The guys there said that they are expecting 30-45 cars a day, every day this week. Today alone had 3 trailers fully unloaded.
I feel bad for the guys responsible for prepping the cars for delivery.

Not really sure why, but it also looked like they have a mountain of brand new 21" rims sitting in storage.

They tracked my car while I was there, and it's currently near New Orleans. I suppose depending on how fast the truck is moving and if the driver is moving during the day or night, it's possible that the car gets to the SC as soon as tomorrow morning, or as late as Wednesday evening.

OK, so, I did the return trip. Same conditions. Wind was pretty much nil. Hit some rain on the last 3rd of the leg but it didn't seem to affect power usage.

464 Wh/mi over 36.4 miles. Temp was 44F. Usage in neutral was nearly nothing according to the power usage bar.

Round trip was 76.6 miles, 36.7 kWh, 479 Wh/mi. Left with 188 rated miles. Arrived back with 70. So, 118 rated miles for 76 miles.

Since I left Devon, 150.7 miles. 66.4 kWh, 441 Wh/mi.

Now, I've made this same trip in my P85 dozens of times. Even when I was flying (90+... shhh) I barely was over 400Wh/mi.

As you can see from my graph, the road is mostly flat. I had the cruise control set the entire time at 78 MPH until I hit the off ramp. The little dip and spike near the beginning was an EzPass Express toll I slowed down to 60 for, then resumed cruise.

Suffice it to say I am so far disappointed with this purported improved AWD efficiency.

-wk
20141222_203228.jpg

Edit: For comparison, this trip at 78 MPH (my preferred cruising speed on this road) was generally in the 340's Wh/mi avg in my P85 in similar conditions.

Edit 2: Whole trip was done in "Sport" mode with "Range" mode on.

Last edited:
I just stopped by the Dania Beach location. They are literally swimming in P85D's. The guys there said that they are expecting 30-45 cars a day, every day this week. Today alone had 3 trailers fully unloaded.
I feel bad for the guys responsible for prepping the cars for delivery.

Not really sure why, but it also looked like they have a mountain of brand new 21" rims sitting in storage.

They tracked my car while I was there, and it's currently near New Orleans. I suppose depending on how fast the truck is moving and if the driver is moving during the day or night, it's possible that the car gets to the SC as soon as tomorrow morning, or as late as Wednesday evening.

Good news, I think. I have 2 on the way. I was there Saturday and there was only 1, next to the delivery desk.

So do you think there should be an econo mode? Maybe shut down rear motor, just drive front, esp on highway? Or some other algorithm that will ease the power.
Is there a way to ask TM for such a thing? Maybe a software update in the future? If they had enough people asking for this? Maybe Econo Sport Insane?

OK, so, I did the return trip. Same conditions. Wind was pretty much nil. Hit some rain on the last 3rd of the leg but it didn't seem to affect power usage.

464 Wh/mi over 36.4 miles. Temp was 44F. Usage in neutral was nearly nothing according to the power usage bar.

Round trip was 76.6 miles, 36.7 kWh, 479 Wh/mi. Left with 188 rated miles. Arrived back with 70. So, 118 rated miles for 76 miles.

Now, I've made this same trip in my P85 dozens of times. Even when I was flying (90+... shhh) I barely was over 400Wh/mi.

As you can see from my graph, the road is mostly flat. I had the cruise control set the entire time at 78 MPH until I hit the off ramp. The little dip and spike near the beginning was an EzPass Express toll I slowed down to 60 for, then resumed cruise.

Suffice it to say I am so far disappointed with this purported improved AWD efficiency.

-wk

Edit: For comparison, this trip at 78 MPH (my preferred cruising speed on this road) was generally in the 340's Wh/mi avg in my P85 in similar conditions.

You have a right to be disappointed. Unless there is a large discontinuity in the consumption graph vs. speed, it is hard to see how the P85D you have now could possibly do better at 65mph than your old P85+, which I believe is what Tesla has claimed. 44° F. is not typically cold enough to really skew the consumption numbers, in my experience.

-wk

woa. Have you checked your tire pressures?

What tires/wheels do you have on the P85D, and what did you have on your P85? I didn't get to test efficiency that much today before I turned the car over to the detailer, but I had a 5-mile stretch that had a ~340 wH/mile average.

Looks like I had 245/45R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4's on the P85.

The P85D has 245/35ZR21's on the back and 265/35ZR21's on the front, Michelin Pilot Sport Radial X.

However I've also done this in my fiance's P85 that has 21's with only 5-10% worse energy usage than my P85 on average.

- - - Updated - - -

You have a right to be disappointed. Unless there is a large discontinuity in the consumption graph vs. speed, it is hard to see how the P85D you have now could possibly do better at 65mph than your old P85+, which I believe is what Tesla has claimed. 44° F. is not typically cold enough to really skew the consumption numbers, in my experience.

woa. Have you checked your tire pressures?

I did check them after I got home from the service center and they were +/- 2 psi of the door plate... I'm going to check them again though with a different gauge. (Edit: after they've had an hour or so of rest)

Also I agree, 44F is not a temp that would affect range much at all. Generally need to be in the mid 30s or lower to make a huge impact like that.

I've driven my P85 for 22k miles. At trade it's life average was 320 Wh/mi.

- - - Updated - - -

What will absolutely suck if highway efficiency maintains this level of crappy will be needing to use the Woodbridge, VA supercharger tomorrow when I make my trip back down to NC... being near that mall 2 days before Christmas is not going to be fun. On my way north another S driver in Glen Allen who was heading south stopped there and warned me to avoid it "at all cost," and I believe him because I've been there on a moderately busy day before... it's bound to be exponentially worse tomorrow.

Looks like I had 245/45R19 Michelin Primacy MXM4's on the P85.

The P85D has 245/35ZR21's on the back and 265/35ZR21's on the front, Michelin Pilot Sport Radial X.

However I've also done this in my fiance's P85 that has 21's with only 5-10% worse energy usage than my P85 on average.

- - - Updated - - -

I did check them after I got home from the service center and they were +/- 2 psi of the door plate... I'm going to check them again though with a different gauge. (Edit: after they've had an hour or so of rest)

Also I agree, 44F is not a temp that would affect range much at all. Generally need to be in the mid 30s or lower to make a huge impact like that.

I've driven my P85 for 22k miles. At trade it's life average was 320 Wh/mi.

- - - Updated - - -

What will absolutely suck if highway efficiency maintains this level of crappy will be needing to use the Woodbridge, VA supercharger tomorrow when I make my trip back down to NC... being near that mall 2 days before Christmas is not going to be fun. On my way north another S driver in Glen Allen who was heading south stopped there and warned me to avoid it "at all cost," and I believe him because I've been there on a moderately busy day before... it's bound to be exponentially worse tomorrow.

I would highly recommend you send an email to ownership or Jerome. I plan to do that, just referencing that owners are confused that real world range isn't matching up to marketed range. We deserve some concrete answers from Tesla on this issue.

wk057: A liitle off the useage/rated mile track: Was devon hopping when you got there for delivery? Still just the two Ds? Since you owned a model S before was your delivery time shorter? All just curiosity issues....nothing major. Mine made a Sunday truck out of Fremont. Delivery should be 'on time'.

Hi anxman, I am sorry to hear about the problems so early in your ownership. I hope the quality control people at Tesla take note of this and rectify this. Having owned German cars all along I am apprehensive about picking up my P85D the coming week, and your experience is worrisome. Hope the issues are solved and you get to enjoy the car

I would highly recommend you send an email to ownership or Jerome. I plan to do that, just referencing that owners are confused that real world range isn't matching up to marketed range. We deserve some concrete answers from Tesla on this issue.

Checked tire pressures. Lowest was 40 psi cold (down to 38F now) and highest was 43. Put them all at 43 but it didnt take much. Door says 42.

I will do my trip tomorrow and see how it goes and have more data before I start getting too irritated.

wk057: A liitle off the useage/rated mile track: Was devon hopping when you got there for delivery? Still just the two Ds? Since you owned a model S before was your delivery time shorter? All just curiosity issues....nothing major. Mine made a Sunday truck out of Fremont. Delivery should be 'on time'.

I wasnt their first D delivery. They had at least 6 more on the lot ready to go too. Since I was a previous owner, I didn't bother with a walkthrough. Already knew everything, even taught the one DS a few tricks. Delivery took a little while due to some issue with getting the car "activated" after I submitted my payment. All in all I was there about 90 minutes, which included a trade in inspection. And I didn't tell you this, but I heard your delivery may be early. ;)