Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No NextGen seats front or rear.

Regen is a little stronger at speeds below 45 mph. Above 60 mph, regen absolutely pegged the display to beyond 60 kW. Attack is softened; not sure if that is in addition to the regen attack softening that came with 6.0.

I noticed some interesting regen behavior earlier today on a downhill stretch. It was just enough for maybe 10kW regen while maintaining cruise. I saw it pop up to 0 then 10 then 0 then 10 again a few times with no changes in terrain... didnt think much of it until now.

Thanks for maintaining the spreadsheet it has been very very useful. Would you guys be ok adding a column to track the "free" yacht floor, I.e, for those that didn't order it but received it?

As I'm going to be traveling, I'm looking for a volunteer to manage the spreadsheet until Jan 3rd. There isn't much to it these days.. basically re-sort it once or twice a day, and clean up after folks that do unfortunate things. If we're able and willing to help out, please PM me. Include your Google account ID.

Thanks,
Andrew

Edit: also by request, I've added another column so we can track front and rear seats independently.

** EDIT2: OConnorStP has graciously offered to maintain the spreadsheet while I'm gone. Be nice to him! :)

image.jpg

"trade off is worth it".

I'd appreciate it if this guy would keep his opinion out of my personal $139,000 purchase.

My red P85D with tan old seats will be delivered 12/26 at 4:00pm. It was built in 3 days, finished 12/20. My DS said he would call when on truck but surprised me today that it was here in Van Nuys. Since they are off (well deserved time off) the next 2 days I have to wait till Friday but that is better than the 12/29 originally given.

Who was the OP with the failure?

I'm the op with the failed P85D. We had it flatbedded to Burlingame yesterday morning where they've been working on it since. I'm headed out of town for the next 8 days so I won't be able to drive the vehicle until 12/31 but I'll report back as I hear updates on the vehicle.

My technician notified me today that Tesla Motors doesn't have any update on the vehicle quite yet because it raised every red flag up and down Tesla. Lots of people from many teams are investigating the vehicle to figure out what happened and then ensure it doesn't happen to other customers by fixing the production process. I'd imagine that if they discover something that could affect other P85Ds, Tesla will proactively notify their customers.

Having a car brand's halo car fail so quickly could make for scary press, but I want to stand behind Tesla here. This is a very early model car, and many of us are going to have some issues for the next few month. Any time a new feature is introduced, it's going to be buggy for a bit, and that's just the nature of purchasing a new model Tesla. My 2013 P85 had a number of issues which Tesla promptly and courteously resolved every time. After a few iterations, the car was unlike any other product offering and continued to bring a smile to my face every time I drove it.

Since yesterday, I've been driving a BMW loaner car and I already miss the P85D. I've driven excellent BMWs, Audis, Lexuses, and Mercedes for the last 15 years, but the Model S P85D is the first time that a vehicle actually has "everything" from safety to performance and everything in between. The high speed performance handling issues of the P85 are finally gone while providing a big upgrade in almost every other area from interior polish to the paint job.

The P85D is such a magnificent car. Don't let my story scare you from buying one and enjoying it.

"trade off is worth it".

I'd appreciate it if this guy would keep his opinion out of my personal $139,000 purchase.

It should come as no surprise that early buyers of the P85D are Beta testers, for better or worse :frown:

However, I think this highlights yet another communications problem for Tesla Motors. Customers were told at the "D" event in October that Model S with Dual Motor would be more efficient than the RWD Model S. They did not qualify this expectation with "after software update". The fact that customers were not told about this at delivery has lead to a lot of needless confusion and dismay.

I have written this before, but I think it needs re-emphasis: Tesla is no longer in the league of a startup company pushing products out of a garage. Customers have certain expectations from a mass manufacturer of high-quality products, and one of those expectations is clear & accurate information on the product they are buying. Basically, the company cannot play fast and loose with specifications like range, because buyers are going to be mad if the product doesn't live up to what's advertised. Tesla needs to get control of this now, because if this keeps happening when the company is shipping 100s of thousands of cars/year, it's going to be a massive headache and PR nightmare.

Really! At the event it was said that the dual motor was more efficient. Now we find that once you bring the second motor to full idle that's when it creates the additional efficiency. I guess just the added weight improves the efficiency. I never would have guessed that. How awesome.

It's normal in high tech devices to have unused components Idle, and only activate when necessary. Your CPU in your computer likely has 2 or 4 cores, each of which can run at full speed, or a fraction of full speed. During your normal web browsing, likely it has everything except for one core idled, and that one core is running at 1/4 speed. As long as it spins up to full power when the demand arises (hard acceleration), there is no reason to complain.

The S85D likely will have improved efficiency over S85 due to the smaller motors front and rear, but the P85D will likely be approximately the same as P85+ when the update is available since it still has the same P85+ motor in the rear.

- - - Updated - - -

It should come as no surprise that early buyers of the P85D are Beta testers, for better or worse :frown:

However, I think this highlights yet another communications problem for Tesla Motors. Customers were told at the "D" event in October that Model S with Dual Motor would be more efficient than the RWD Model S. They did not qualify this expectation with "after software update". The fact that customers were not told about this at delivery has lead to a lot of needless confusion and dismay.

I have written this before, but I think it needs re-emphasis: Tesla is no longer in the league of a startup company pushing products out of a garage. Customers have certain expectations from a mass manufacturer of high-quality products, and one of those expectations is clear & accurate information on the product they are buying. Basically, the company cannot play fast and loose with specifications like range, because buyers are going to be mad if the product doesn't live up to what's advertised. Tesla needs to get control of this now, because if this keeps happening when the company is shipping 100s of thousands of cars/year, it's going to be a massive headache and PR nightmare.

A bit of a crosspost:

As long as the software is out soon it shouldn't really matter.

Tesla thinks of itself more as a Technology company than a Car company. It's completely normal for tech companies to ship out products with known buggy software when they plan to push out an update very shortly after release ... This allows product to hit the street fast, and developers a little bit of extra time to get things right. This happens with Apple iPhones, too.

Truth is, if this is the biggest problem, having reduced range for a couple of weeks is not the end of the world -- as long as Tesla pushes the update quickly.

I agree however that Tesla's communication is terrible, and a big part of why people are so upset. If I was told at delivery "Just a heads up, we are pushing out an update in the next 2 weeks which will make some major improvements to efficiency, but in the meantime, please expect that range will be reduced" I would be fine. On the other hand, receiving no warning, and then seeing 400WH/Mi is very concerning and makes you think you have a defective product.

Fortunately, I haven't received my car yet, and I know what to expect when I get it in a few days -- but the whole situation could have been avoided -- just like the heated steering wheel. -- just like the 'black hole' seats delay -- just like the cars that got old seats instead of new without notice, etc etc... Communication!

@ anxman

Thanks for the uodate on what is happening with your P85D's front motor fix, so that this does not get lost in this thread, can you post the update under a new thread in "Model S: Driving Dynamics" or something like this? I know that there are literally 100's of other soon to be P85D owners that will want to keep updated on this.

It's not like this is a company press release or official blog post... this is the guy's Twitter account, a medium which is all about expressing one's person opinion.

This is a CEO of a publicly traded company. He doesn't have the luxury of having a personal Social media account that isn't tied directly to his company, the shareholders, or his customers.

We don't need opinions from tesla employees. We need FACTS.

All this talk about idling motors and software upgrades. Great. Bring it on. In the meantime how about they "idle" my 130k back into my bank account until I get the car I paid for.

This is a CEO of a publicly traded company. He doesn't have the luxury of having a personal Social media account that isn't tied directly to his company, the shareholders, or his customers.

We don't need opinions from tesla employees. We need FACTS.

All this talk about idling motors and software upgrades. Great. Bring it on. In the meantime how about they "idle" my 130k back into my bank account until I get the car I paid for.

Executive Summary
Your comments and attitude are very negative. If you are simply unhappy with Tesla return the car, get your $ and (queue mcLarry) shut the h&*% up.

Thesis
There is something bigger going on here. We often marvel at how Tesla is disrupting an age old industry. We marvel how a company that made nothing only a few years back is now in the same sentence as Benz, Audi or Lamborghini. But there is another side to this disruption. Namely Tesla is also disrupting the consumer experience. For weeks now the P85D delivery threads (and all the moaning and bit*&ng going on) are testament to this disruption and all the discomfort it brings with it. We are now recipient of the same force we marveled at and we don't like it.

Where does this disruption come from? In short, it's Elon applying Agile to hardware. I would probably say he's the first person in the world to do so on a grand scheme. The car is evolution on wheels. Constantly changing. Release with limited/buggy features only later to be patched. Iterate. Iterate again. Consumers of tangible products are very unfamiliar with this experience. We want specs, water fall execution, deep QA. I.e. what Benz or Audi do.

No doubt this can be done better. The new marcomm guy at Tesla has clearly got his work cut out. One might say he's failing badly as we speak. Nevertheless, I think everyone that is going to buy a Tesla needs to understand what they are signing up for. Tesla/Elon probably doesn't want to be a Benz. Much like Oracle doesn't want to make products the way IBM wrote mainframe code. Be it Gen 3, 5, or 10.

Summary
It's us who have to adapt. So please check the attitude at the door, come with an open mind and be prepared to go on a ride - literally and figuratively.