Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright guys. Quick update on my experience with the D. I've had it 5 days now and have put around 1100 miles on it. The results on the range are..... "Insanely" disappointing. This car just EATS energy. I have no clue what Elon was smoking, but this car is nowhere near 275 miles per charge as originally described, and nowhere near close the 240. if you start with a full charge, you'll be limping into a charging station after 180 miles.

The range in this car is HUGELY affected by speed. Not talking about acceleration. I'm just talking cruising speed.

Here are my stats after 1000 miles on sport mode.

Normal day "around town" driving: 450 wh/mi.
Highway cruise control at 75: 440 wh/mi
highway cruise control at 65: 380 wh/mi
highway cruise at 60: 350 wh/mi
Highway cruise at 50: 340 wh/mi.

I just finished a 750 mile trip and averaged 400 wh/mi. That was a mix of all the highway scenarios above. By the end of the trip I was forced to pick charging stations just 120 miles away because 180 was cutting it way too close.

Oh and that was on sport mode. Add 40 wh/mi for each of those when on insane mode.

Very disappointed. Not even close, Tesla.

other comments: Bluetooth isn't working anymore says it needs service. Brakes started squeaking like an 86 Chevy.

Seriously - not a happy camper right now.

That is disappointing. What's the outside temperature? Heater on? Tire pressures at or above recommended PSI?

As I'm going to be traveling, I'm looking for a volunteer to manage the spreadsheet until Jan 3rd. There isn't much to it these days.. basically re-sort it once or twice a day, and clean up after folks that do unfortunate things. If we're able and willing to help out, please PM me. Include your Google account ID.

Thanks,
Andrew

Edit: also by request, I've added another column so we can track front and rear seats independently.

** EDIT2: OConnorStP has graciously offered to maintain the spreadsheet while I'm gone. Be nice to him! :)

Last edited:
That is disappointing. What's the outside temperature? Heater on? Tire pressures at or above recommended PSI?
image.jpg

45 degrees. Range mode on. Limited heat.

if you drive like a granny on the highways of a 72 degree flat area, ya you can get 240. For the rest of the world, that ain't happening. Expect 180-200 miles on a full charge.

Last edited:
Got the same call a few minutes ago. My Christmas day delivery of two cars is cancelled (after I got the bank draft and activated the insurance). I was assured that we were on track for a Christmas day delivery as late as 2pm today but alas.
We are planning to leave town on the 26th so the delivery is rescheduled for Jan 5th. Bummer.
Meanwhile, my 911 GT3 made it from Winnipeg to Toronto in 2 days. That is a WAY more difficult drive than from Detroit -> Toronto.

Oh well.

Spoke to the Toronto store about my delivery- apparently they have about 70 cars they were expecting over the next few days. Apparently a large chunk of them are in Detroit, and they cannot arrange transportation because of a large incoming storm and apparently no one wants to agree to transport them given the incoming weather. He said they had been expecting to deliver a large number of cars in the next few days, but will *not* be able to deliver most of them in that time period, mine included. He said a few are trickling in, and they are burning up the phone lines to try to get trucks to deliver the rest - but it sounded pretty dismally difficult.

In my case, they can't tell me where my car is, or even if it has left the factory. They are being told in small batches where cars are, but none of the information my delivery centre has includes my car. They were hoping to hear more later. I had a delivery date of the 27th, but that seems very unlikely.

I find it mind boggling that this is how deliveries are handled. It's really frustrating to be the customer in this delivery black hole - if I knew what was going on it would be easier to accept the delays. My car may still even be at the factory at this point - or it may be stuck in Detroit.

Shucks.

Alright guys. Quick update on my experience with the D. I've had it 5 days now and have put around 1100 miles on it. The results on the range are..... "Insanely" disappointing. This car just EATS energy. I have no clue what Elon was smoking, but this car is nowhere near 275 miles per charge as originally described, and nowhere near close the 240. if you start with a full charge, you'll be limping into a charging station after 180 miles.

The range in this car is HUGELY affected by speed. Not talking about acceleration. I'm just talking cruising speed.

Strong sympathies here. I wrote about this a bit here: First SF-Tahoe trip in P85D - Page 7

My prediction based on what others were seeing is that the effective range on a full charge with at D would be around 185 miles. I haven't driven my car enough yet to see where this will land for my driving. However, if my prediction holds, this is roughly 15% less than what I would get on my old (non-P, 19") Model S. Forget EPA calculations and rated miles, we're talking real world mileage. More than anything, my gripe is that the car was marketed to be more efficient - and this is in part why I bought it.

other comments: Bluetooth isn't working anymore says it needs service. Brakes started squeaking like an 86 Chevy.

The range is certainly disappointing - I hope it turns out that something is just 'wrong' with your car to justify this amount of power draw. (Bad Software? Bad Alignment?)

As far as Brakes squeaking -- that sometimes happens on high performance brakes. I have at times experienced it in Porsche and BMW. Generally, it is caused by frequent light-medium braking rather than infrequent harder stops leading to brake material being deposited on the rotors, or the pads just becoming glazed. Some hard braking with ample times to allow the brakes to cool in-between braking generally fixes t

Exactly. Here is a nice graph that allows you to change weight and aerodynamics. http://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html It's for bikes but the same applies for vehicles. You can double the weight and it still has minimal effect compared to aerodynamics.

This obviously makes sense at highway speeds from a physics standpoint, but doesn't explain the currently dismal battery life of the Ds, given the similar aerodynamics compared with previous 85s.

So could there be a problem with the electronic management of how the two motors behave at cruising speeds? Maybe they are currently just utterly inefficient and this could be fixed with a software upgrade?

I just finished a 750 mile trip and averaged 400 wh/mi. That was a mix of all the highway scenarios above. By the end of the trip I was forced to pick charging stations just 120 miles away because 180 was cutting it way too close.
This is disappointing - you should probably check with Tesla. wk057 reported today on his road trip and got 346 Wh/mile over 208 miles at highway speeds, including going at 79 mph on a long stretch. See the thread here

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Rice390

So I guess my P85D will be for short distance grins, and my wife's new P85 will be the longer trip workhorse!

Last edited:
P85D Disappointing Mileage Concerns

I just called my DS, Nick George. He has done an amazing job keeping me informed and I am scheduled to pick up my fully loaded P85D this Saturday. After seeing the disappointing results posted by Rice390 I called him to see Tesla's position on this issue before completing my 140,000 purchase on Saturday. Basically, its about 70% the range promised that I relied on when making my commitment to the car.

Nick, stated that there had been numerous owners and staff discussion about the issue. He stated that it may be that people are driving it hard since its new and seeing the affects of that. I shared that is appeared to be a going concern from multiple owners that have tested the mileage without aggressive driving.

Nick stated that Tesla will most likely be making an official statement if in fact it does seem to be a concern. I shared that it appeared to be a snowball about to go out of control and needs to be addressed immediately. I ma hoping for some kind of response and direction prior to Saturday.

Mike

I just called my DS, Nick George. He has done an amazing job keeping me informed and I am scheduled to pick up my fully loaded P85D this Saturday. After seeing the disappointing results posted by Rice390 I called him to see Tesla's position on this issue before completing my 140,000 purchase on Saturday. Basically, its about 70% the range promised that I relied on when making my commitment to the car.

Nick, stated that there had been numerous owners and staff discussion about the issue. He stated that it may be that people are driving it hard since its new and seeing the affects of that. I shared that is appeared to be a going concern from multiple owners that have tested the mileage without aggressive driving.

Nick stated that Tesla will most likely be making an official statement if in fact it does seem to be a concern. I shared that it appeared to be a snowball about to go out of control and needs to be addressed immediately. I ma hoping for some kind of response and direction prior to Saturday.

Mike

Something just doesn't seem right. The rear motor is the same as the P85. If the front motor is completely disabled, the range should be similar to the P85 (except for the added weight). Hopefully it's just software that can be improved.

Does anybody know about how much the front motor weights?

Edit: I used evtripplanner.com from Seattle to New York. With a model s 85kwh (single motor), it's 335wh/mi assuming a payload of 0lbs, with 500lbs (front motor) it goes up, all the way to 336wh/mi, so not much. No idea why the decrease in range. If somebody knows the actual weight of the front motor I will rerun it.

Last edited: