Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a surprise call from my DS today saying that my cars have arrived. I had resigned to the fact that I will get them on Jan 5th since I am leaving on vacation Sunday morning. Delivery is set for tomorrow at 1pm (hopefully). I will get a few hours with the cars before I leave them for a week while on vacation. The saga finally ends on a happy note although no heated steering wheel and no next gen seats.

IMG_4138.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4140.JPG
IMG_4139.JPG

I took delivery today in Las Vegas today! I put 3 timid miles on it driving to get it wrapped immediately.

The new turn signal stalks felt strange, they are slightly smaller in addition to being moved. The brakes felt touchy, my P85+ has a very small bit of travel before they engage, these bite immediately. I can't wait to put some real miles on it.

Congratulations! How long before you get the car back from the installer?

I took delivery today at about 6PM.

Car had a couple of minor finish issues, one was handled on the spot (a minor scratch in the clearcoat, which they buffed out), and some stains on the alcantara dash (new dash trim ordered). I received the Tan "Performance" nappa seats with the alcantara inserts, was told the Next Gen seats are on order, but no ETA "Hopefully by end of Q1".

Overall though, it is a beautiful car.

Car was delivered with "Insane" mode selected and charge to 95%.

I averaged 450WH/Mi on my way home, driving like I would normally drive my Porsche (I normally averaged 14MPG or so driving the same route). Somewhat disappointed with the range implications, but for the time being, the road trips that I do are littered with superchargers every 70 miles or so, so it's mostly an inconvenience as long as it's fixed "soon".

Did not do a 0-60 run, but perhaps a 10-40 on an onramp (very high traffic in Miami due to the snowbirds). Very impressive. Certainly much quicker than my 911. On the highway, 60-80mph acceleration seemed quick but not quite as quick as the 911. That's not to say it's bad, but on the highway it's still more in the league of a high end sports car -- but not quite a supercar.

Handling seems very good, on par with Panamera. Suspension is definitely stiffer than the P85+ I test drove, imperfections in the road are much more obvious now. I don't see this as a bad thing, but some people might.

Stereo seems better than the P85+ I test drove which also had the upgraded sound system. It's still not terribly loud even at 11, but the one I test drove had clipping at 11, but this one does not. My sound source is lossless flac, and I am used to audiophile grade sound systems. I would say ultimately the sound system is better than my 911 - so I am happy.

Indicated rated range at 90% charge is 216 miles, which suggests a max range of 240 when fully charged. I will probably do a road trip this weekend, and will report on what I actually experience on the highway.

The lane assist warning was very noticable, it felt just like running over rumble strips.

The speed limit reading worked pretty good, except it got confused by a school speed limit sign (which is only applicable during bus loading/unloading hours) and indicated a speed limit of 15 when the actual limit was 35.

I was told to expect an update for Adaptive Cruise Control in January.

Car also came with 2.0.76, and is not prompting me for an update -- is there any way I can force this?

EDIT: The Frunk .... I was expecting it to be similar to my 911 -- Not even close. Closing the frunk on the P85D is HARD. I had to basically do a pushup on the hood, and I could feel the hood flexing under me. It was very nerve-wracking to close. Should I ask the SC to adjust this?

Car also came with 2.0.76, and is not prompting me for an update -- is there any way I can force this?

Congrats on the delivery, and great writeup!

Make sure you've joined the car to WiFi. Tesla says they prioritize updates to cars on WiFi. We've never really seen evidence of that being true, but I doesn't hurt to try.

Car had a couple of minor finish issues, one was handled on the spot (a minor scratch in the clearcoat, which they buffed out), and some stains on the alcantara dash (new dash trim ordered). I received the Tan "Performance" nappa seats with the alcantara inserts, was told the Next Gen seats are on order, but no ETA "Hopefully by end of Q1".

I averaged 450WH/Mi on my way home, driving like I would normally drive my Porsche (I normally averaged 14MPG or so driving the same route). Somewhat disappointed with the range implications, but for the time being, the road trips that I do are littered with superchargers every 70 miles or so, so it's mostly an inconvenience as long as it's fixed "soon".

Did not do a 0-60 run, but perhaps a 10-40 on an onramp (very high traffic in Miami due to the snowbirds). Very impressive. Certainly much quicker than my 911. On the highway, 60-80mph acceleration seemed quick but not quite as quick as the 911. That's not to say it's bad, but on the highway it's still more in the league of a high end sports car -- but not quite a supercar.

Handling seems very good, on par with Panamera. Suspension is definitely stiffer than the P85+ I test drove, imperfections in the road are much more obvious now. I don't see this as a bad thing, but some people might.

Stereo seems better than the P85+ I test drove which also had the upgraded sound system. It's still not terribly loud even at 11, but the one I test drove had clipping at 11, but this one does not. My sound source is lossless flac, and I am used to audiophile grade sound systems. I would say ultimately the sound system is better than my 911 - so I am happy.

Indicated rated range at 90% charge is 216 miles, which suggests a max range of 240 when fully charged. I will probably do a road trip this weekend, and will report on what I actually experience on the highway.

The lane assist warning was very noticable, it felt just like running over rumble strips.

The speed limit reading worked pretty good, except it got confused by a school speed limit sign (which is only applicable during bus loading/unloading hours) and indicated a speed limit of 15 when the actual limit was 35.

EDIT: The Frunk .... I was expecting it to be similar to my 911 -- Not even close. Closing the frunk on the P85D is HARD. I had to basically do a pushup on the hood, and I could feel the hood flexing under me. It was very nerve-wracking to close. Should I ask the SC to adjust this?

Tan next generation seats end of Q1? Ugh.

I noticed the sound from the radio was a bit better in the P85D vs my P85, and I attribute this to the slightly more road-noise dampened cabin.

As for the update, no known way to force it, although I was told service techs can push updates... have not tried this.

For the frunk, it definitely takes more force than the P85 frunk. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It seems like it closes more firmly, but it is also harder to push down. I think if you push it down in the proper places (two hands on each side of the T) it should be fine, though. GUess it can't hurt to have service check it out when you get your new dash top.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you've joined the car to WiFi. Tesla says they prioritize updates to cars on WiFi. We've never really seen evidence of that being true, but I doesn't hurt to try.

I received the 2.0.81 update overnight with terrible 3G service (1 bar).

Congrats!

I think your indicated range will rise slightly after the software updates. Mine was delivered today with 2.0.81; Max Range Charge is 249 Rated Miles. I think others have reported as high as 252.

Mike

Got a surprise call from my DS today saying that my cars have arrived. I had resigned to the fact that I will get them on Jan 5th since I am leaving on vacation Sunday morning. Delivery is set for tomorrow at 1pm (hopefully). I will get a few hours with the cars before I leave them for a week while on vacation. The saga finally ends on a happy note although no heated steering wheel and no next gen seats.

Congratulations! There is a light at the end of the black hole.

Took delivery of 66720 today in Seattle - saw at least 8 P85Ds in the showroom and the people there said 20 deliveries scheduled for tomorrow. Confirmed autopilot update expected in "next couple weeks" but no confirmation if range update would be paired or coming seperately. All black interiors I saw had next gen in front, standard in back. Grey (which I got) and tan have no next gens until next year.

Nothing material to add in terms of impressions but man that launch... Amazing that there is zero tire slip despite slightly wet roads. Had my passengers (two grown men brothers) giggling.

Another one of the original Black Hole cars has emerged. I took delivery of 64272 today in Houston, TX. The drive back to New Orleans was not as pleasant as I had hoped due to the greatly reduced battery range compared to the P85+ I drove over there. I had to drive like my grandma on the leg from Lake Charles to home - full range charge in Lake Charles netted me 249 Rated Miles and I arrived home with 13 miles remaining on a 195 mile trip. I drove 60 MPH most of the way (at least 3/4 of the way) in flat South Louisiana in 62 degree weather. If I had driven the P85+ like that I would have *gained* miles on the trip (i.e., used less rated miles than actual miles).

The first thing I noticed is Tesla has done a good job improving fit, finish and overall "tightness" from VIN 13226 to VIN 64272. The car is solid and feels like it is carved out of a solid piece of aluminum. I have the standard Nappa Seats in both front and rear (Tesla owes me Next Generation Seats). Seeing as to how I had to baby it to get it home I will test acceleration and performance this weekend.

Here she is at the Lake Charles refueling station:

View attachment 67125
View attachment 67126
Congrats to you and the other black holers that have finally received cars.

Last edited: