Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing shady about it. If my car completes production on December 31 with a 2014 VIN, I take delivery on January 2, and offer it the next day, do I have a year old car or a 2 day old car? Any legitimate buyer would understand the difference, and the fact that Tesla doesn't have a model year makes the in service date all the more important.

You'll likely have the paperwork to show when you took delivery, but I do think it would be shady to list it as a 2015 Model S.

I do agree that it may be all moot, because I've seen several Model S's listed without years. When a potential buyer inquires, you could just state the delivery date. Or you could just state the delivery date within the body of the listing.

Plus, outside of age, years dont really have the same meaning. With a 2014 ICE you typically can see which options and standard features are available. With Tesla they add features when they feel like it (autopilot, heated steering wheel, etc.)

You'll likely have the paperwork to show when you took delivery, but I do think it would be shady to list it as a 2015 Model S.

I do agree that it may be all moot, because I've seen several Model S's listed without years. When a potential buyer inquires, you could just state the delivery date. Or you could just state the delivery date within the body of the listing.

Plus, outside of age, years dont really have the same meaning. With a 2014 ICE you typically can see which options and standard features are available. With Tesla they add features when they feel like it (autopilot, heated steering wheel, etc.)

With that I agree wholeheartedly. Now if I could only get delivery! FYI the D is cancelled- too much stuff iffy. I'll reorder when things settle down. The wife's P85 is becoming Hawking-like with Heisenberg uncertainty thrown in!

Stuck in production now for 15 days. Delivery on Sunday the 28th is a pipe dream but no communication from DS or anybody else.

We heard from our DS in Vancouver last night that Tesla is having difficulty lining up "logistics" to transport cars from Fremont to their delivery point. I do not know how general that problem is, but I suspect that there are going to be a bunch of delayed deliveries.

The area I was instructed to use would be the farthest apart on those green areas.

But did you see that elsewhere in this thread other P85D owners had been shown to place their hands in the red area? And one person even asked specifically about how that was in conflict with what was in the manual, and was told that the manual instructions were for the two-latch frunk, and not for the one-latch frunk. So basically we really have no idea at this point who is being given correct information. The only thing we can count on is that some of us will probably wind up with creases in our frunk hoods.

Nothing shady about it. If my car completes production on December 31 with a 2014 VIN, I take delivery on January 2, and offer it the next day, do I have a year old car or a 2 day old car? Any legitimate buyer would understand the difference, and the fact that Tesla doesn't have a model year makes the in service date all the more important.

As far as insurance and used car financing goes, you will have a 2014. It's completely VIN-based.

I say this as the owner of a car manufactured 1/31/12 and delivered Feb 13.

With all the changes this car sees, a timeline by car number against physical changes would be much more useful than by year. End of September 2014 the cars saw a huge upgrade that can't be "seen" by production year but can be seen by number.

We heard from our DS in Vancouver last night that Tesla is having difficulty lining up "logistics" to transport cars from Fremont to their delivery point. I do not know how general that problem is, but I suspect that there are going to be a bunch of delayed deliveries.

Can you imagine the Gantt chart, with all those dependencies? Mind boggling. They must have a number of tasks that are assumed/modeled rather than actual. Even if they were all tied back, the smallest pebble sends projections off track.

Its really amazing how tight most of their predictions are.I'm trying to order a Smart ED and can't get any clarity around options or price, much less dating.

Last edited:
I was told today our car "might" make it here (Rockville, MD) on 12/31 (instead of our delivery date of 12/29). We tracked it today and it was almost to Nebraska. I'm pretty sure it won't arrive in 2014.

On a side note, the Rockville Service Center won't even install my Michelin snow tires because they aren't offered by Tesla. I'm disappointed that Walmart can install tires and Tesla won't. Does anybody know of a good tire place to take a Tesla to near Bethesda, MD?

I was told today our car "might" make it here (Rockville, MD) on 12/31 (instead of our delivery date of 12/29). We tracked it today and it was almost to Nebraska. I'm pretty sure it won't arrive in 2014.

On a side note, the Rockville Service Center won't even install my Michelin snow tires because they aren't offered by Tesla. I'm disappointed that Walmart can install tires and Tesla won't. Does anybody know of a good tire place to take a Tesla to near Bethesda, MD?

Preilly44: Went through this convo not to long ago with the service centre. There is apparently a waiver which you can sign and then the centre can change whichever tires you've got. I'd suggest you contact HQ.

Well, spur of the moment, so, no camera setups yet but my fiance and I set off on a quick drive and back in both the P85 and P85D.

Didn't do everything exactly like I was planning for my video trip, but, same route, no climate control, no craziness, both no pre-warm or anything (it is 62F out today) and both unplugged from 90% SoC when we left. Went on the highway with traffic, in total about 25 miles round trip. P85D followed the P85 the whole way. Slightly wet conditions.

P85 arrived back having used 367 Wh/mi. P85D arrived back having used 455 Wh/mi. That's pretty close to my original 25% more figure, however I will do the even more controlled test when it is nicer, the GoPros.

Well, spur of the moment, so, no camera setups yet but my fiance and I set off on a quick drive and back in both the P85 and P85D.

Didn't do everything exactly like I was planning for my video trip, but, same route, no climate control, no craziness, both no pre-warm or anything (it is 62F out today) and both unplugged from 90% SoC when we left. Went on the highway with traffic, in total about 25 miles round trip. P85D followed the P85 the whole way. Slightly wet conditions.

P85 arrived back having used 367 Wh/mi. P85D arrived back having used 455 Wh/mi. That's pretty close to my original 25% more figure, however I will do the even more controlled test when it is nicer, the GoPros.

wk057, I've got a thread going with jerome right now. With your permission, can I just copy and paste your description above to give him one data point to illustrate what I'm talking about? If you don't feel comfortable, then no worries.

wk057, I've got a thread going with jerome right now. With your permission, can I just copy and paste your description above to give him one data point to illustrate what I'm talking about? If you don't feel comfortable, then no worries.

That's fine. I didn't nail down every variable like I had wanted to for this test, though, so, I wouldn't call it conclusive just yet.

That's fine. I didn't nail down every variable like I had wanted to for this test, though, so, I wouldn't call it conclusive just yet.

It may not be conclusive enough to show the exact, precise magnitude of the problem, but it should be conclusive enough to indicate to Jerome, along with the other anecdotal data being presented, that there is, in fact, a problem. I mean a P85 and a P85D driving the same route under the same conditions at the same time and coming back with radically different power consumption is saying something. I expect Jerome will be interested. And concerned.

Which wheels and tires on each car? Was the P85 a +?

I plan on doing a more controlled test on a dry day after both cars have sat overnight... possibly tomorrow.

• Set both cars to 90% SoC the night before.
  • In the morning, bump both to 95%. Should warm up the batteries a bit.
  • Warm both car's cabins with the app to 72F.
  • Check cold tire pressures, make sure +/- 1 PSI of door plate for each car
  • Setup GoPros to record video of the dash showing the Trip/Since Last Charge numbers, speed, power, as well as the efficiency graphs.
  • When leaving, turn off climate control.
  • Turn on range mode.
  • Allow P85 to lead which should give the P85D a minor drafting handicap. Not going to be tailgating, but, following closely enough so as not to let us get separated.
  • Drive to the interstate, requires one interchange before getting to a 65 MPH zone.
  • Reset Trip B in sync (as closely as possible)
  • Head east on the interstate for ~15 miles with cruise control at 65 MPH.
  • Bump speed to 70 MPH, Reset Trip B, continue for 15 miles
  • (Think there is a construction zone in this area, get through that...)
  • Bump speed to 75 MPH, Reset Trip B, continue for 15 miles
  • Exit the interstate, proceed to destination. (Using opportunity to pick up a friend out that way)
  • Return to interstate heating west, set cruise to 75 MPH, reset trip B, continue for 15 miles
  • Get through construction zone...
  • Drop speed to 70 MPH, Reset Trip B, continue for 15 miles
  • Drop speed to 65 MPH, Reset Trip B, continue until exiting the interstate
  • Return home, declare a victor

- - - Updated - - -

Which wheels and tires on each car? Was the P85 a +?

A P85 with 21's"... it's the one we got wrapped yellow. Not sure the tires. Guess I can check that.

@wk057, I shared your experience with Jerome. He's offered to look at your logs. See his response below. It's encouraging.

-----------------

We will be happy to review the logs of this particular customer, if they are interested.

I have been driving P85D with 21” and autopilot for a long time and I am getting much better energy consumption than the figure you quote below. Even in the current California weather (near freezing when I come to work or go back home)

Ah. Difficulties to Vancouver... Plausible

In general, tesla Fremont has had many weeks to make sure they have sufficient trucks and trains (logistics) to handle the Ds that were delayed leaving factory. I'd be very surprised if this affects many cities in US and certainly shouldn't be a transportation issue with regular non-d model S