Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I decided to take the car. I had planned to wait and reorder but the Tesla post addressing the range changed my mind.

JB sold more than a few 2014 cars with his blog post (mine included) ... now I hope he delivers on the s/w as well as he communicates !

Congratulations. I too was happy to see it all brought into the light of day and to get the car.

So what about the S85D mileage thoughts or predictions? It was supposed to be better than the non D.
i bet it too will be worse than Tesla claims despite smaller motors.

if that's the case, the resale values of the original S85's and P85's (especially) will start to look real good when directly comparing their range.

Yup, all Next Gen. I was surprised, but I guess a few are coming through with Next Gen front and rear now. I'll be at the Service Center getting a Center Console installed pretty soon, though.

Nice,

My 67544 is Next Gen in Front but New Nappa in back.

Looking forward to service fixing a couple of issues (wind noise from small front glass panel), and I feel like the vibration (Lane Departure warning) vibrates the whole car.

Well, I decided to take the car. I had planned to wait and reorder but the Tesla post addressing the range changed my mind. My DS was amazing, as I called him at 8PM on the 30th and he made all the paperwork for BOTH cars happen the next day! No NexGen seats but I got an extra scarf, so each of my dogs could have one. Here's what I've noticed compared to my 85:

1. The red calipers and spoiler really set off the car nicely.
2. The wider rears project a very muscular stance when viewed from the back.
3. Any extra noise from the front motor is minimal, and with the radio on at normal volume not noticeable.
4. The smaller frunk is no big deal. The Tesla luggage I had there will go in my wife's car.
5. Single latch frunk closing with hands set properly isn't noticably different.
6. The AC works better! This was a surprise because my S was only 3 months old. Even without tinting (to be installed tomorrow) the system blew colder and cooled more efficiently. Important here in Miami!
7. The steering in sport mode is not as stiff as the sport setting in the 85S. It's still responsive and tight, just a little less so.
8. In my 100 miles of driving so far, mostly all expressway at 70-75 (it is Miami) I'm averaging 380 Wh; it was around 325 in the 85S.
9. The car is WAY quicker than the 85S. I haven't tried "insane mode" yet, but I was frankly surprised at the difference. Even driving at 75 you can sense the power reserve just lurking there. The slightest increase on the pedal and the car leaps to it.

Bottom line: if that range blog had been out 2 weeks ago a lot of consternation could have been avoided. Am I happy I traded in a 3 month old amazing car? Absolutely, and now have an even more amazing one!

All the the best to you all. Those already driving theirs know what I mean, those of you waiting are in for a treat!

How does the quietness seem compared to your old/previous S85? My P85D is so much quieter than my July 2013 P85. Not even close.

There still is a lot of December promised cars on the spreadsheet that don't have confirmed deliveries with date. I've seen only a few instances of customers (Canada and Chicago) where customers are saying the car was possibly delayed. Excluding cases where customers are taking delivery directly to their home, are there other customers that are confirming that the December delivery was missed completely at a service center?

Posted "D" experience here. Couple more photos below. Super lucky to get the Grey Next gen seats in the front.

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0042.JPG

There still is a lot of December promised cars on the spreadsheet that don't have confirmed deliveries with date. I've seen only a few instances of customers (Canada and Chicago) where customers are saying the car was possibly delayed. Excluding cases where customers are taking delivery directly to their home, are there other customers that are confirming that the December delivery was missed completely at a service center?
Yes there are a whole bunch of us still waiting here in Toronto. Many are stuck in Chicago. I think ours were some of the first ones made thus first in the hole and last out.

Yep. My car finished production almost two weeks ago but has not made it to the Toronto service centre for delivery yet. No firm ETA - it's just sitting at the border as it has for days, awaiting transport. It could move today, or next week. No one knows.

The buying experience has been poor for me, and a couple folks interested in ordering a Tesla who were following my purchase have written off buying one for now, saying Tesla doesn't have their confidence for such a large purchase.

"I keep expecting to see that Tesla in your driveway! Didn't you order that in October?"

"Yes"

"I thought it was coming before Christmas?"

"Me too"

"What's the hold up?"

"I don't know. I heard rumours about seat issues, about QC issues, but I haven't heard anything official. My delivery date just keeps getting pushed back."

"Wow. That sucks. Hope it comes soon! Hmmmm?"

I have this conversation every couple days. LOL

Last edited:
I picked up my car on 12/31 from Fremont. Some of you may remember that I went back and forth on whether to order a diff color than my P85+. That one was blue, and I changed my P85D order from red to pearl white back to blue after much deliberation. When I got to delivery, I started to have concerns that maybe I should have indeed stuck with a new color to make the car 'feel more new'. I love the blue/tan and think it's a classic but I do stare and red and white Tesla's on the road. Just wasn't sure whether I would be happy with them long term, so here I am with my second blue Tesla :)

Ok so, the important stuff. Here's how I feel compared to my P85+.

- efficiency is significantly lower. Has been discussed ad nauseum. Can't wait for new sw.

- overall fit and finish much improved. The car just feels better put together. Don't detect and rattles or squeaks at all.

- tan next gen front seats...wow...amazing comfort, fit, and look. So so happy with them.

- suspension seems stiffer than my p85+ but more composed. Just a tad more refined feeling over uneven pavement.

- handling, wow. The car in AWD form feels so much more balanced than my P85+. So neutral and turn-in is awesome. Feels like a step-change from the previous car. It's hard to believe this car is 5k pounds. Doesn't feel like it.

- Steering, def lighter at low speeds but great feel and a more natural 'heft' to it at higher speeds. Really pleasantly surprised.

- noise, I must say i absolutely love the noise that the dual motor makes. It's only a tad noiser in the front but overall feels way more substantial than the previous ballon noise. Pleasantly surprise here as well.

- road noise, definitely less 'boom', which feels like a huge improvement.

- wow the black alcantara headliner with dash and tan interior and gloss wood is just gorgeous. Has so much character and depth in terms of colors, texture etc. really like it.

- acceleration. I did one true launch and honestly can't remember it :) it is so violent and unexpected and you feel like your insides are coming out. Will have to try it a few more times. At highway speeds, I was VERY happy to see that it feels way faster than my p85+. I wasn't expecting that.

Overall, the delivery experience left much to be desired. They looked like they were delivering a 100 cars that day. Most cars were dirty, mine and others had some fine scratches in the clear coat (to which tesla put a 'due bill' polish and detail on my agreement and others) and everything just felt rushed. They are clearly not scaling delivery and sales operations as well as they should. Philosophically, I shouldn't have to point out clear coat scratches that need to be buffed on a 130K purchase. Same issue with my p85+ pick up last yr.

Some pics below.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219199.935318.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219219.459449.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219180.106233.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420219180.106233.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 734
I picked up my car on 12/31 from Fremont. Some of you may remember that I went back and forth on whether to order a diff color than my P85+. That one was blue, and I changed my P85D order from red to pearl white back to blue after much deliberation. When I got to delivery, I started to have concerns that maybe I should have indeed stuck with a new color to make the car 'feel more new'. I love the blue/tan and think it's a classic but I do stare and red and white Tesla's on the road. Just wasn't sure whether I would be happy with them long term, so here I am with my second blue Tesla :)

- efficiency is significantly lower. Has been discussed ad nauseum. Can't wait for new sw.

- overall fit and finish much improved. The car just feels better put together. Don't detect and rattles or squeaks at all.

- tan next gen front seats...wow...amazing comfort, fit, and look. So so happy with them.

- suspension seems stiffer than my p85+ but more composed. Just a tad more refined feeling over uneven pavement.

- handling, wow. The car in AWD form feels so much more balanced than my P85+. So neutral and turn-in is awesome. Feels like a step-change from the previous car. It's hard to believe this car is 5k pounds. Doesn't feel like it.

- Steering, def lighter at low speeds but great feel and a more natural 'heft' to it at higher speeds. Really pleasantly surprised.

- noise, I must say i absolutely love the noise that the dual motor makes. It's only a tad noiser in the front but overall feels way more substantial than the previous ballon noise. Pleasantly surprise here as well.

- wow the black alcantara headliner with dash and tan interior and gloss wood is just gorgeous. Has so much character and depth in terms of colors, texture etc. really like it.

- acceleration. I did one true launch and honestly can't remember it :) it is so violent and unexpected and you feel like your insides are coming out. Will have to try it a few more times. At highway speeds, I was VERY happy to see that it feels way faster than my p85+. I wasn't expecting that.

Overall, the delivery experience left much to be desired. They looked like they were delivering a 100 cars that day. Most cars were dirty, mine and others had some fine scratches in the clear coat (to which tesla put a 'due bill' polish and detail on my agreement and others) and everything just felt rushed. They are clearly not scaling delivery and sales operations as well as they should. Philosophically, I shouldn't have to point out clear coat scratches that need to be buffed on a 130K purchase. Same issue with my p85+ pick up last yr.

Some pics below. View attachment 67822View attachment 67823

Congrats! Looks sharp. When you get a chance, I'm sure people would love to see that interior.

As for swirls on delivery - nearly every car I've ever taken delivery from Tesla to BMW to Audi has had some paint issue that needed correction. The guys who wash and prep the cars for delivery just don't have the attention to detail that I do. Only a professional detailer will do. Hopefully once the rush is past you'll get a higher standard of quality with your due bill.

Plus, could be worse. At least your due bill isn't for seats. ;-)

Congrats! Looks sharp. When you get a chance, I'm sure people would love to see that interior.

As for swirls on delivery - nearly every car I've ever taken delivery from Tesla to BMW to Audi has had some paint issue that needed correction. The guys who wash and prep the cars for delivery just don't have the attention to detail that I do. Only a professional detailer will do. Hopefully once the rush is past you'll get a higher standard of quality with your due bill.

Plus, could be worse. At least your due bill isn't for seats. ;-)

Agree re detail quality. I plan to get opti.coat done anyway so all good. Re due bill, believe me I do have them on there as my car was only delivered with the front next gens :)

And yes interior pics soon.

These are the most important reasons for me to upgrade to the P85D. Glad to hear you confirming them in your production D. Can't wait for my February delivery, hopefully with next gen seats front and back and a heated steering wheel!

Some pics below.

Congrats!! Would you mind to post some interior pics? I have ordered a P85D for my wife with the same interior config (tan, black headliner, glossy obeche) but with pearl white outside ...