Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's official, my never delivered #66697 is now canceled due to a failed paint issue. After coming back from the paint shop, my pearl white P85D bumper and tailgate are still mismatched. They gave me the option of swapping to a new build or waiting another week for a second painting.

The good news is I get to keep the new P85 loaner until the next car is finished in February. Back to square one!

It's official, my never delivered #66697 is now canceled due to a failed paint issue. After coming back from the paint shop, my pearl white P85D bumper and tailgate are still mismatched. They gave me the option of swapping to a new build or waiting another week for a second painting.

The good news is I get to keep the new P85 loaner until the next car is finished in February. Back to square one!
Hmmmm... very interesting. Hope I don't end up in the same boat as you. My car has been "Production Complete" for 13 days and has not been delivered to the SC. Hopefully they bump you up on the queue so you don't wait till March.

Got mine last night guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 657
I can't believe how quiet this thread is now. I guess there are only a handful of us getting P85Ds in the upcoming months as the S85Ds ar ramping up now. Not much to report anyway though I have been told that my car should start building soon and will be delivered around the 27th to the 29th of January. I thiink he said end of line January 21 but although my understanding of EOL is that this is when build starts, my DS seemed to be talking about build completion so I'm really not sure what to expect. I'm supposed to be traveling overseas at the beginning of February so I'd like to pin it down further; however, I've learned from my previous experience that even production complete isn't something that can be planned on.
What does your dashboard say? You and I are pretty close together and my dashboard just dropped back to "Late February" earlier in the week.

Looks like another quarter-end rush for P85D deliveries

When I asked and was told my P85D for late December was built with the old seats, I told them that for $130k I wanted a car built correctly as ordered the first time and wanted to cancel and re-enter my order. They were not happy but very politely did what I asked. At the time the estimated delivery time for a new P85D order for US delivery was late February, which slipped to March by the time the new order was entered and confirmed. Just recently it has slipped to late March. FWIW, here is my thinking and reaction to this,

Regarding the seats, Tesla has a strong financial incentive to correctly fill ALL new P85D orders with the next-gen seats before replacing ANY incorrect seats in cars in customer hands. The reason is that re-working a product is in general much more expensive than manufacturing it right the first time. When there is a shortage of next-gen seats, allocating a next-gen seat to replace a seat in the field at the expense of using it in the manufacturing line means creating yet another car where the seats eventually need to be replaced, with the accompanying costs. So with this in mind, I think the push to late March means one of two things: either 1) the production of next-gen seats needed for manufacturing is projected to continue to lag demand, or 2) Tesla really wants to do right by earlier P85D customers and replace their seats with next-gen models as soon as possible, which means that to avoid manufacturing more new cars with the wrong seats they need to push out the manufacturing of new P85D orders until enough next-gen seats are available. Because another imperative for Tesla is making their quarterly targets, my hope is that they will not push out my new car, built with the right seats, any further than late March which is their quarter end.

So with this hope in mind, I am not planning to complain to Tesla about the slippage in my order, at least if things remain as they are. My one disappointment is that my order is going to end up being manufactured and delivered as part of a quarter-end rush, where the manufacturing process is probably a little stressed, something I was hoping to avoid.

Looks like another quarter-end rush for P85D deliveries

When I asked and was told my P85D for late December was built with the old seats, I told them that for $130k I wanted a car built correctly as ordered the first time and wanted to cancel and re-enter my order. They were not happy but very politely did what I asked. At the time the estimated delivery time for a new P85D order for US delivery was late February, which slipped to March by the time the new order was entered and confirmed. Just recently it has slipped to late March. FWIW, here is my thinking and reaction to this,

Regarding the seats, Tesla has a strong financial incentive to correctly fill ALL new P85D orders with the next-gen seats before replacing ANY incorrect seats in cars in customer hands. The reason is that re-working a product is in general much more expensive than manufacturing it right the first time. When there is a shortage of next-gen seats, allocating a next-gen seat to replace a seat in the field at the expense of using it in the manufacturing line means creating yet another car where the seats eventually need to be replaced, with the accompanying costs. So with this in mind, I think the push to late March means one of two things: either 1) the production of next-gen seats needed for manufacturing is projected to continue to lag demand, or 2) Tesla really wants to do right by earlier P85D customers and replace their seats with next-gen models as soon as possible, which means that to avoid manufacturing more new cars with the wrong seats they need to push out the manufacturing of new P85D orders until enough next-gen seats are available. Because another imperative for Tesla is making their quarterly targets, my hope is that they will not push out my new car, built with the right seats, any further than late March which is their quarter end.

So with this hope in mind, I am not planning to complain to Tesla about the slippage in my order, at least if things remain as they are. My one disappointment is that my order is going to end up being manufactured and delivered as part of a quarter-end rush, where the manufacturing process is probably a little stressed, something I was hoping to avoid.

Interesting. I'm quietly hopeful that I will have the next gen seats when my re-order finally arrives but they can't tell me one way or the other any more than they can tell me about the heated steering wheel. I did my re-order on December 16th. At the time they were able to tell me I wasn't getting next gen seats or heated steering but they still could not tell me where my car was, what had happened to it, or when I would get it. Due to this sub-optimum situation and the fact that they had taken my trade in on November 19th and my full payment on November 29th, they submitted a "case" which seems to have resulted in my Late January target for delivery. I wonder if I hadn't re-ordered if they would have eventually cancelled it or when I would have eventually got it. @Island, at least they seem to know what is going on with your car. Also here in Calgary there are no Tesla loaners! I'm currently driving a ford fusion which while a perfectly respectable car, is definitely a poor substitute for my P85D that will have been fully paid for, for 2 months by the time I get the car. Oops I'm starting to rant again.

Picked mine up from Highland Park in a snow storm; 4" of snow. Luckily they had the winter tires on and the summers in the back. I'm getting the xpel full body wrap and opticoat put on today. SO I'll be without her for a few days. Heated steering wheel and next gen back seats.
IMG_10631.jpg

IMG_10691.jpg

IMG_10701.jpg

That's not a bad theory. But let me present an alternative theory.

85D orders have been slipping more and more. Many people originally had February dates, then went to Late February, then March and some are even now at Late March. My date slipped on Wednesday night so I called my DS and was told there were issues sourcing parts causing a lot of dates to move around. We've seen an 85D with a production VIN (the one going to the Detroit auto show), so it seems likely they are able to start making 85Ds. If the problem was seats then there would be no reason to push by 85D orders because they can't have the new seats. But what we're seeing is 85D and P85D orders being pushed back. So what component do 85D and P85D vehicles share that is different from RWD vehicles?

I can think of two. The charge port door and the new smaller motors (only used in the front on the P85D and in front and back on the 85D). No idea where the charge port door is made but it's a good bet that it's assembled from components made somewhere else. We know Tesla assembles the motors themselves in Fremont but we don't know for sure where the components are made, however we have seen some articles suggesting a company in Taiwan is involved. So either way we know there are components that have to come from somewhere.

We know there are ongoing problems with ports in California are slowing freight. If some parts they need for these unique components are delayed from getting to the factory it may be impacting their ability to build the cars when they intended. That might still be impacting the seats, but it may not be the only parts being impacted.

Picked mine up from Highland Park in a snow storm; 4" of snow. Luckily they had the winter tires on and the summers in the back.

Congratulations, and nice choice on the color! :)

Quick question, for anyone...

Everyone refers to the "summer tires", but none of us with 19 inch wheels are getting true summer tires, right? We're getting all season tires. If we bought the winter wheel package they are delivering the Pirelli Sottozeros on the car, and what many of us are referring to as the "summer tires" are the stock Michelin Primacy MXV4 all season tires, right? (Because that's what I received.)

So what component do 85D and P85D vehicles share that is different from RWD vehicles? I can think of two. The charge port door and the new smaller motors (only used in the front on the P85D and in front and back on the 85D).

A reasonable theory. Comment from @jpet also shows we lack too much information to solve the mystery. It does look like Tesla will have another busy quarter-end.

Interesting. I'm quietly hopeful that I will have the next gen seats when my re-order finally arrives but they can't tell me one way or the other any more than they can tell me about the heated steering wheel. I did my re-order on December 16th. At the time they were able to tell me I wasn't getting next gen seats or heated steering but they still could not tell me where my car was, what had happened to it, or when I would get it. Due to this sub-optimum situation and the fact that they had taken my trade in on November 19th and my full payment on November 29th, they submitted a "case" which seems to have resulted in my Late January target for delivery. I wonder if I hadn't re-ordered if they would have eventually cancelled it or when I would have eventually got it. @Island, at least they seem to know what is going on with your car. Also here in Calgary there are no Tesla loaners! I'm currently driving a ford fusion which while a perfectly respectable car, is definitely a poor substitute for my P85D that will have been fully paid for, for 2 months by the time I get the car. Oops I'm starting to rant again.

Wow. You are a patient man gpetti. Fully paying $140-150K and not even having anything to show for it for 2+ months (not even bank interest returns) is sort of insane IMO for a car purchase experience. But I guess that's what the insane setting is for on the P85D :) I think you should get customer of the year award for not ranting more.

A reasonable theory. Comment from @jpet also shows we lack too much information to solve the mystery. It does look like Tesla will have another busy quarter-end.

Just got word that my P85D is scheduled to go end-of-line on January 19.
It also seems that the Recaro seat issues are under control, no mention of next gen seats missing in European builds for the moment being. Hope this does not change...

Something I have not seen mentioned here is the reason why the European production of the P85Ds started with our Norwegian friends.

Here are a couple of snippets from a Wikipedia post that will make it very clear :wink::

"The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars."
"
Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes."
"
These incentives are in effect until 2018 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved. As of September 2014, and at the rate of growth reached during 2014, the target of 50,000 EV registered could be met by early 2015."

Something I have not seen mentioned here is the reason why the European production of the P85Ds started with our Norwegian friends.

Here are a couple of snippets from a Wikipedia post that will make it very clear :wink::

"The Parliament of Norway set the goal to reach 50,000 zero emission vehicles by 2018. Among the existing incentives, all-electric cars are exempt in Norway from all non-recurring vehicle fees, including purchase taxes, which are extremely high for ordinary cars, and 25% VAT on purchase, together making electric car purchase price competitive with conventional cars."
"
Electric vehicles are also exempt from the annual road tax, all public parking fees, and toll payments, as well as being able to use bus lanes."
"
These incentives are in effect until 2018 or until the 50,000 EV target is achieved. As of September 2014, and at the rate of growth reached during 2014, the target of 50,000 EV registered could be met by early 2015."

This includes used car imports as well, I believe. If someone brought in a used car through Tesla (maybe even a USA-based trade-in?) to Norway, wouldn't that count against the 50,000? The idea is to get 50K on the road.

jpet, that Wikipedia snippet is correct. Although it's not certain when, or even if, the tax break and other benefits will be withdrawn. All that's said is these benefits are guaranteed to at least 2018 or 50k cars, whatever comes first. And right now it seems we will hit the magic number of 50k vehicles early this summer.

ICE vehicles in Norway are ludicrously expensive though. For the money I'm spending on the P85D I could've bought a new BMW 520 or a couple of years old Audi A7. Yeah, tough choice.