Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is yours a P85D? If you go to the order page now and create an order for a P85D it will tell you Late March. Anything else is Late April. Note that I'm located in California -- other locations may show something different, especially overseas.

I'm pretty sure the P85D, with it's higher profit margin, gets you delivery priority. Certainly they're going to push as many of them into this quarter as they can. I'll go so far as to guess that if you order a P85D in mid-March taking delivery at the factory, they'll probably get it to you by the end of the quarter.
Yes, it's a DUAL MTR :smile:
Gr8pursuit is saying mid Feb! Mine is still showing March and was ordered 3 weeks earlier. BTW we are both in So. Cal
I don't think a factory schedules production based on profit margin, that would be a logistical nightmare for purchasing and scheduling constantly bumping lower optioned/ dollar cars for higher.
Not really a big deal I still have to install the wall charger in my garage and build a carport at my warehouse. It just seems rare to see 4 weeks from order to delivery, right?

Yes, it's a DUAL MTR :smile:
Gr8pursuit is saying mid Feb! Mine is still showing March and was ordered 3 weeks earlier. BTW we are both in So. Cal
I don't think a factory schedules production based on profit margin, that would be a logistical nightmare for purchasing and scheduling constantly bumping lower optioned/ dollar cars for higher.
Not really a big deal I still have to install the wall charger in my garage and build a carport at my warehouse. It just seems rare to see 4 weeks from order to delivery, right?
Mine has been finished production for over a month and I still haven't received it. I ordered the day after the announcement! I will take delivery of a 2014 VIN one full month into 2015.

Thank you. At this point I just want my car. It's a lease and I only intend to keep it 3 years so the 2014 VIN doesn't matter to me.

I guess it's easy to say now that you should have re-ordered but it is a hard decision to make, especially if you didn't really care about the 2015 VINs - about the only thing that I was guaranteed when I re-ordered. In my case Tesla couldn't tell me anything about where my car was, when it would be done or when it might be delivered. I wasn't sure what type of "off-line" work had been done and I was guaranteed NOT to get heated steering. In your case this has been trickling on slowly with a delay here, a delay there and I would have bet good money that you would have it long before mine. I think had you re-ordered it would have happened in January meaning you had to wait until February or later. Anyway look forward to meeting up and comparing our cars some day soon!

Last edited:
Mine has been finished production for over a month and I still haven't received it. I ordered the day after the announcement! I will take delivery of a 2014 VIN one full month into 2015.

You sir have a ton of patience. Things have fallen behind on the 85Ds so I've been asking for updates from my DS, but I can't fathom being 2 months behind, 1 of which was after the car was built.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they probably leave some gaps in their production schedule for the higher margin orders and for problems. If those slots don't get filled in they just move lower optioned cars up. My August S85 order was supposed to be done in Late October and it got moved up to Late September.

I think they probably leave some gaps in their production schedule for the higher margin orders and for problems. If those slots don't get filled in they just move lower optioned cars up. My August S85 order was supposed to be done in Late October and it got moved up to Late September.
This doesn't make sense to me as my car was chalk-full of margin. I could only theorize it had something to do with supply-chain issues and some selections I had made as my combo was somewhat rare. So perhaps there was limited supply of (say) matte obeche dash kits so they put my car on hold for a week - then when those parts came in they ran out of something else so that put my car back again. It was in Production nearly a month and has been out of production another month.

My patience comes from pretending I don't know how long the "normal" cycle of new Tesla orders is and just telling myself that it must take 3.5 months to get an amazing car custom built to my specifications.

There has been some mentioning with regards to a "European Black Hole" and I'm wondering if I'm stuck in it. My car has been in production since 1/9/15 and "My Tesla" still shows this status. What is the current situation for other European orders? I know some of you has gotten confirmation that your car is in transport. But are there others with the same issue as I?

There has been some mentioning with regards to a "European Black Hole" and I'm wondering if I'm stuck in it. My car has been in production since 1/9/15 and "My Tesla" still shows this status. What is the current situation for other European orders? I know some of you has gotten confirmation that your car is in transport. But are there others with the same issue as I?

When looking at the P85D tracking sheet, no car that went into production on or after January 15 has left production yet. I have asked for more info on my car's current status. Maybe there is a JIT-delivery problem with an AWD specific part.

Did you get bumped up to late February (according to the spreadsheet).
My VIN is about 300 over yours, wonder how I could be getting it sooner and it looks like we both are taking delivery in So. Cal.

I notice that you're new around here so I just wanted to clarify that production does not happen in VIN serial order. The serials get assigned in order but after that it's very common to have higher serials produced before lower ones.

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't make sense to me as my car was chalk-full of margin. I could only theorize it had something to do with supply-chain issues and some selections I had made as my combo was somewhat rare. So perhaps there was limited supply of (say) matte obeche dash kits so they put my car on hold for a week - then when those parts came in they ran out of something else so that put my car back again. It was in Production nearly a month and has been out of production another month.

Well I think December and your car was pretty much a whole different scenario. I think they pretty much put a large amount of priority of P85Ds in December. Of course they ran into problems and despite their intentions of getting those cars delivered in December, not everything went the way it should have. Your car is a particularly bad outlier. I have no idea what happened, but I think we can all agree that they didn't intend to take a month in production and a month shipping it to you.

VIN P66323 entered production December 27th. Still in production more than four weeks later. Asked Tesla for an update and a reason for the delay a week ago but no reply as of now.

- - - Updated - - -

VIN P66323 entered production December 27th. Still in production more than four weeks later. Asked Tesla for an update and a reason for the delay a week ago but no reply as of now.

Correction: My car just went from "in production" to "in transit". Hurray!