Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With risk of sounding like a broken record since I am quoting myself again and again I have just realised that the ship Autoracer obviously goes on a route from Bremerhaven->Oslo->Drammen->Kristiansand->Bremerhaven. So it now makes perfect sense that I saw Oslo as the destination earlier this week.

The ship is now heading back to Bremerhaven after having stopped at both Drammen and Kristiansand since the last update. ETA for arrival in Bremerhaven is more or less identical to the ETA for Taragos arrival in the same port so timing is perfect:)

Tarago is now getting really close to Bremerhaven as well so all seems to be on schedule for those that are lucky enough to have their cars on that ship. I really hope my car is indeed on it now:) otherwise I am setting myself up for a huge disappointment;)
Exciting! Did the bird whistle anything about the next shipping from the US to Europe?
I´m starting to fear mine is not on the ship as I have not yet received the final bill with the delivery date in MyTesla.

Exciting! Did the bird whistle anything about the next shipping from the US to Europe?
I´m starting to fear mine is not on the ship as I have not yet received the final bill with the delivery date in MyTesla.
No more bird singing I'm afraid, and I'm not expecting anymore either to be honest. I am just crossing my fingers that my car is actually on this boat and getting closer and closer.

I am close to going crazy waiting here. Insurance is taken care of, electrician has been ordered to beef up the cables going to the garages and now I am left here with refresh refresh refresh;)

One thing I'm aware of is that the car arrived in Vancouver with less Kms than would normally be the case. I was wondering if after I complained about the new production delay, maybe they shipped the car without finishing all of the QA - delegating it to the SC. If that was the case - they really should have told me and I don't think driving around a track in california is the same as driving around Vancouver. Although there is a plate on the car, it was not legally registered either - not really sure if it was insured as my insurance kicked in last week. Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the score is.

You are being much, MUCH more understanding than I would be, given the circumstances.

Even under the situation you just described I would be irate. Aside from the issues you raise (insurance, liability, quality of the testing), the testing is to be done before you accept delivery, so that if there is a problem it is Tesla's problem, and not your problem. What if the testing had turned up a real problem? You are being way too nice here!

Don't get me wrong--I really love Tesla! I think if you read all of my almost 800 posts here you'd see that. I am sometimes critical of some aspects of things that I think they could do better, but by and large I think they are doing a great job. And in general I am willing to go with the flow, forgive the small mistakes, etc. But unless there is an unbelievably good explanation here that none of us are thinking of, this does not seem like a small mistake. This seems, on the face of it, admittedly without complete information, like the kind of mistake that should have very serious ramifications for the person or persons responsible.

You are being much, MUCH more understanding than I would be, given the circumstances.

Even under the situation you just described I would be irate. Aside from the issues you raise (insurance, liability, quality of the testing), the testing is to be done before you accept delivery, so that if there is a problem it is Tesla's problem, and not your problem. What if the testing had turned up a real problem? You are being way too nice here!

Don't get me wrong--I really love Tesla! I think if you read all of my almost 800 posts here you'd see that. I am sometimes critical of some aspects of things that I think they could do better, but by and large I think they are doing a great job. And in general I am willing to go with the flow, forgive the small mistakes, etc. But unless there is an unbelievably good explanation here that none of us are thinking of, this does not seem like a small mistake. This seems, on the face of it, admittedly without complete information, like the kind of mistake that should have very serious ramifications for the person or persons responsible.
Andy, I can always count on you to remind me when I'm not being irate enough! I prefer that approach to some users who advocate the "stop whining you're lucky to have a Tesla" school of thought :) I appreciate your support through this rollercoaster process. Got my eye on the prize now, I'm headed back to Calgary today, the wrap is already well underway and soon she will be mine. Can't wait for my first insane launch.

So here is the response:

"Yes we can explain!

Your Model S had not gone through the PDI which can put on up to 2 km’s and has to be accelerated at least a couple of times in testing. Once it went to detail he found a couple of clear coat scratches that he could not get out and had to go to the body shop as we do not have the tools here for that. Because of the logistics nightmare we were in our Valet had to drive your Model S to the certified body shop which is about 7 kms both ways to expedite not missing your delivery. This accounts for the 16 kms. The higher energy usage could be a cold battery on start up or a heavy footed valet which I will definitely talk to him about. Let me know if you require any other clarifications.
"

This is not as bad as the explanations I had imagined but raises a few questions of its own. I'm assuming that the PDI is normally done at the SC and I assumed would be done before I took delivery. Basically I had no idea any of this was going on and I'm not sure how I feel about the body shop either. It does explain some of the 10 day delay in Vancouver which I assumed was due to transportation logistics. This accounts for all but 4 of the Kms but I'm not going to ask for any further explanation. I suspect the numbers were tallied up to add to 16 by mistake as the before Kms were 16 and the after was 36. I.e the number 7Kms was probably used to make the math work, based on the wrong result.
Anyway my wrap place will make sure all is well now and I'm done burning time hassling delivery people, hopefully for a few years.

On a final note, they definitely need to improve the Calgary (and Western Canada) delivery process. One good reason for a Calgary service center and presumably they need to staff up and move to a better SC.

Wow, @gpetti, at least that's the first "straight-up" response I've heard from this delivery centre. They must keep the vehicle insured/registered under their name even though you took "delivery". I'll bet they put a dealer plate on for the joyride - errr valet - to the body shop. Either that or they went clubbin' in Vancouver with your car! (Sorry, don't need to mess with your head any more).

As for my delivery km... would you believe I was so excited I forgot to check? :redface:

Wow, @gpetti, at least that's the first "straight-up" response I've heard from this delivery centre. They must keep the vehicle insured/registered under their name even though you took "delivery". I'll bet they put a dealer plate on for the joyride - errr valet - to the body shop. Either that or they went clubbin' in Vancouver with your car! (Sorry, don't need to mess with your head any more).

As for my delivery km... would you believe I was so excited I forgot to check? :redface:
Oh yes, I forgot to say. I did ask about the plates. They have some plates that they put on the car. I'm still not sure how that works for insurance, particularly as I was the legal owner but I guess all's well that ends well.

Oh yes, I forgot to say. I did ask about the plates. They have some plates that they put on the car. I'm still not sure how that works for insurance, particularly as I was the legal owner but I guess all's well that ends well.

I'm pretty sure in the US, at least, you would have been held responsible had their been an accident. You were the owner of the vehicle. The fact that someone else put plates on it and was driving it means nothing, unless you had reported it stolen at the time.

One can hope Tesla would have stepped to the plate and done the right thing, but I expect it would have been quite a mess.

I can't imagine that the Tesla corporate attorneys sanction putting Tesla plates with Tesla insurance on an owner's car when there isn't actually any insurance on the car. I could be wrong on any or all of this, but it all just seems really off to me.

Leaving aside, for the moment, all the discussion about the legality and the insurance issues, I'm also upset that they would make the decision to drive your car anywhere (instead of putting it on a trailer) without your permission. You were a phone call away.

I just talked to my DS about this time line... I'll admit it, envy drove me, as mine is "P85D ordered 1/7; confirmed 1/8; VIN assigned 1/22; status entered production queue, Late March delivery when confirmed, now just March delivery"
So I ordered and confirmed 10 and 12 days before you, respectively, got the VIN the same day, and would love to have my car in ten days...
My DS says
What I find interesting is the part about the date being manually entered by the DS (or DES? whatever). That might explain the fluctuation some people seem to have experienced in the past...

Jesse is such a good guy.

Sorry for the dup post...I got confused when the Leafs actually scored a goal...:redface:

- - - Updated - - -

If the valet had an accident with your vehicle, their insurance would respond as your vehicle was being driven "as a necessary part of the repair process".

Think of this scenario which happens every day in the real world...you take your vehicle to your mechanic to have your brakes looked at...you get told that the pads must be replaced...the mechanic does his work, then someone at the shop must test drive the vehicle to ensure the fitness of the work...if an accident occurs during the test drive (and it does happen), the mechanic's Garage Auto policy covers both the liability for third party property damage or bodily injury, and, if the mechanic purchased it, damage coverage for your car.

I am glad the DS is speaking to the valet though...the valet needs to show more respect for customer's vehicles.

@gpetti, it's a gorgeous!!! day today - hopefully your out with your new ride already? Good luck keeping it clean with all the snow melt out there. My wife said too bad you got the white car (so much dirt it looked white/grey!
I didn't get back to Calgary (was in the UK) until after 5 and in any case my car is safely in the wrap shop right now - I can see from my Tesla app that the frunk is open so hopefully they've done most of the front by now. I suspect it won't be done before Wednesday or maybe Thursday. They will let me visit in the meantime. Welcome to the world of obsessive washing and cleaning. I've never washed a car so much as when I had my first P85.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure in the US, at least, you would have been held responsible had their been an accident. You were the owner of the vehicle. The fact that someone else put plates on it and was driving it means nothing, unless you had reported it stolen at the time.

One can hope Tesla would have stepped to the plate and done the right thing, but I expect it would have been quite a mess.

I can't imagine that the Tesla corporate attorneys sanction putting Tesla plates with Tesla insurance on an owner's car when there isn't actually any insurance on the car. I could be wrong on any or all of this, but it all just seems really off to me.

Leaving aside, for the moment, all the discussion about the legality and the insurance issues, I'm also upset that they would make the decision to drive your car anywhere (instead of putting it on a trailer) without your permission. You were a phone call away.
I'm undecided now about how much feedback to provide and to what level of seniority in the company. I would have loved to follow up with a positive message after my various negative escalations but this last incident has not left me feeling very positive. I'm guessing that they were hoping that the clear coat issue was resolved I would never have to know and that if they asked me I might freak out and reorder or something- not sure they want any more of my cast offs floating around their sales pool. :) not justifying it, just trying to understand why they would do this. When I was there I wasn't able to drive it because it wasn't insured/registered. I guess if they hadn't completed the PDI they probably didn't want me driving it. It seems like my pressure to keep dates has resulted in some short cuts that haven't been communicated to me. Anyway the only further action I may take is to provide feedback on the limitations of the Vancouver SC. Not so much about the people who are working hard within a flawed framework, more about the facilities or lack thereof. If Tesla growth in these parts continues this situation can only get worse and I can guarantee that there will be buyers who will be less understanding than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the dup post...I got confused when the Leafs actually scored a goal...:redface:

- - - Updated - - -

If the valet had an accident with your vehicle, their insurance would respond as your vehicle was being driven "as a necessary part of the repair process".

Think of this scenario which happens every day in the real world...you take your vehicle to your mechanic to have your brakes looked at...you get told that the pads must be replaced...the mechanic does his work, then someone at the shop must test drive the vehicle to ensure the fitness of the work...if an accident occurs during the test drive (and it does happen), the mechanic's Garage Auto policy covers both the liability for third party property damage or bodily injury, and, if the mechanic purchased it, damage coverage for your car.

I am glad the DS is speaking to the valet though...the valet needs to show more respect for customer's vehicles.
Thanks for the clarifications. I guess it annoys me that some valet got to to try launch mode on my car before I did!

Last edited:
Yahoooo!!! Just got word that my "end of the line" is scheduled for Feb 15th. That means I should be going into production in a day or two and hopefully get delivery a few days after the 15th since I'm in Calif.

End of line doesn't mean what you think it means. It means you've reached the end of the queue waiting to begin production. The end of line date isn't even a specific date, it's the week that you'll begin production. So it could be the end of the week.

One thing I notice is that you're giving a Sunday for your end of line date and every end of line date I've ever gotten out of Tesla has been a Monday. So if they told you thought your car would end production and you are calling it an end of line date then your schedule may still be accurate. However, as I understand it the factory doesn't run on Sunday.

So the whole thing looks off to me. Sorry to be a downer.

Yahoooo!!! Just got word that my "end of the line" is scheduled for Feb 15th. That means I should be going into production in a day or two and hopefully get delivery a few days after the 15th, since I'm in Calif. Wow that's less than 1 month since I placed my order.
That would kind of surprise me given my and others schedules. FWIW I'm:

P85D/Red/Black NG/Black Head/Obeche Matte/Air/Tech/SubZ/Audio/Dual Ordered: 12/12 Confirmed 12/23; VIN: 12/30 (70xxx)