Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record, this is short interest as of 1/26/16 when the share price closed at 193. It must be even higher now.

image.png

Hi there, just wondering where to get the most up-to-date info on short interest and interest rate charged for short borrowing? Unfortunately, the info on Yahoo and other common sites is often outdated by days or even over a week. This has been such a good indicator of price movement that it helps us all to know almost real time.

Hi there, just wondering where to get the most up-to-date info on short interest and interest rate charged for short borrowing? Unfortunately, the info on Yahoo and other common sites is often outdated by days or even over a week. This has been such a good indicator of price movement that it helps us all to know almost real time.
I can give you the latest rates Fidelity is paying me for loaning out my shares: TSLA is still at 3% (it's been somewhere between 2% and 3% since the start of February) while SCTY is now a whopping 24.5%.

So if you own SCTY they pay you 24% to loan them out? Is that paid daily?

Monthly (calculated daily).

That's an insane 'dividend'. Even TSLA at 3%....

No kidding! I took February's interest and bought more SCTY. There are simply no shares left for shorting. Can't imagine it's going to last...but I think (and I certainly hope) that when it ends it will be after a massive short squeeze.

There's more info on what's going on in the Solar City thread.

Sorry for stupid question, but what do you have to do to get paid for loaning shares?
Not a stupid question. Not 100% sure, but I think you need to have shares in a cash (non-margin) account. If you have a margin account, your brokerage can/will loan out your shares without telling you or paying you anything - it's part of the margin agreement. I think.

I'm getting this interest on my TSLA and SCTY in my Fidelity IRA (non-margin) account. I also have TSLA and SCTY in my Ameritrade and Scottrade margin accounts, but don't see any interest. I told my Scottrade guy about Fidelity's loaning program and he acted like he'd never heard of such a thing.

The only brokerages I have heard of that pay interest are Interactive Brokers and Fidelity, with IB offering higher rates.

So I'm not sure if it's having a cash account or having a Fidelity or IB account or some combination. But it's good free money if you can get it...