Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh:

Amazon.com, Inc. (AMZN), Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) And Netflix, Inc. (NFLX): Arbiter Partners Bets Against These Stocks - Insider Monkey

According to their last 13 F filing summarized on this web site, it looks like this guy's fund has (or recently had) over $143million in TSLA puts, over 12% of his fund portfolio. Also major short of AMZN and NFLX. That seems insane to me, unless we get total market implosion. These are not social media duds.

Shame I can't buy puts in Arbiter Partners.

Short interest is up >750,000 shares as of end of trading on 10/12/15 (settlement 10/15/15) when the share price was $215.58, right around where we are now.

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 1.06.52 PM.png

One of my favorite threads in this forum.

Only 1 reporting period with a higher total short interest in shares. The economic value short may be lower though than other reporting periods, but a high share count short sounds interesting to me.

Short interest is up to over 27M as of 11/10/15 when the closing price was $216.50. This is the highest it's been since 3/11/14 (closed at $234.31).

Mind boggling to me. Almost 2 years going up and down to the 200 range, with lots of great Tesla growth as a company during that time. With a record, game changing 2016 on the horizon, you have to be trading on anger/emotion at this point to short TSLA now. But if the shorts all want to get slaughtered, I'm more than happy to take their money.

For anyone interested, very vocal TSLA short on SA, Paulo Santos, covered his TSLA short.

PS published an article, explaining his thesis for covering his short position. PS seems afraid of the squeeze as well.

nice! Yeah, I'd be terrified of the looming Q4 results if I was short. Wouldn't surprise me to see more covering before year end.

I hope Elon sticks it to them with a surprise earnings pre-announcement in early Jan. That would really be special.

"A win should feel like a win"...

Sort of too good to be true. Setting up a January 2014 moment.

Just requires Tesla to actually pull out a Positive cash flow and we will have an explosion on our hands. Assuming everything goes remotely as planned we will have:

Record Q4 deliveries / continued high number for Q1, Model X reviews all over the place, Model 3 reveal, Gigafactory grand opening, and most importantly of all positive cash flows.

We might see some good movements out of all of the above, but I think getting a shocker of a movement (like doubling share price in 1 month's movement) would require the cash flow to actually be there.

When can we expect the next update ? Jan 15 ?
I am very curious how many are still short at this relatively low SP..
Well if the number of shares available to short at Interactive Brokers can help indicate things and the increasing fee rate I would expect the new report to be flat to slightly up. But that isn't an overly reliable indicator. Still, it doesn't look like anyone is covering.

Thinking about this it occurred to me that perhaps a lot of the people shorting Tesla is not particularly negative toward tesla but rather want to short it because it's a highflying, highly valued, high beta tech stock and if we go into a recession these are the stocks that are likely to drop the most in value. So if you are shorting the market and want to leverage yourself you could just short Tesla.

Thinking about this it occurred to me that perhaps a lot of the people shorting Tesla is not particularly negative toward tesla but rather want to short it because it's a highflying, highly valued, high beta tech stock and if we go into a recession these are the stocks that are likely to drop the most in value. So if you are shorting the market and want to leverage yourself you could just short Tesla.

Yes, I agree. Reading from some shorts on SA that seems indeed to be the case.

However, that high reward comes with very high risk on a share with such a high percentage of the available shares being short.
Elon will hold forever, and I doubt FMR will sell their 13M shares = 10+% of all shares any time soon. I recall seeing some estimates on how few shares there are not held by big long term comitted parties. Would scare me.. And shorting Elon to short the market.. Hmmm.

You are probably right, but I am not so sure TSLA is the best high-beta stock to short the market.