Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2016-07-11 at 4.06.06 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Yonki
Fidelity has been prompt in getting my SCTY shares lent out. Even the odd lots.

Did you just purchase the shares? They wait for the shares to settle -- 3 days -- before lending them out.
Yep. They don't lend shares until they're settled (to avoid problems with settlement failure, which could actually be a serious problem when you have this level of shorting -- I looked it up and there were settlement failures in February in either TSLA or SCTY, I forget which). At Schwab, if you bought on Wednesday, the shares settle 3 business days later on Monday, and Schwab will let you lend them out Tuesday morning.

Found it. It was March and it was SCTY.

OTC Markets | Official site of the OTCQX, OTCQB and OTC Pink Marketplaces featuring Free Stock & Bond Quotes, Trade Prices, Chart, Financials and Company News & Information for Investors, Companies and Traders - OTCMarkets.com

If you look back at March 2, you'll find SCTY on the "Reg SHO Threshold Flag" list. That means there were delivery failures equal to more than 1/2 of 1% of outstanding shares (~491,000 shares) for five consecutive days. It didn't come off the list until Mar 22.

Or, for a quicker link:
SCTY SolarCity Corp: Short Sale Data, Days to Cover for SolarCity Corp - OTCMarkets.com

So there is a serious risk of counterparty default in buying SCTY shares, and possibly in recalling them from lending. Worth knowing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SBenson
The owner of the shares doesn't have to lend them out. In the example above, C might not have a margin account, or might write a covered call against them, or might just not want to lend them out. Most institutions, and Elon and other insiders, won't lend their shares. You're right that in theory it could be infinite, but in practice a short squeeze is inevitable as soon as someone big notices and buys everything in sight. This is essentially what happened with Porsche/VW way back when.

This thought just came to my mind, and I found your post. Sorry if this was already answered, but how certain are you that Elon won't lend his shares?

I ask, because I know that large institutional holders like Fidelity DO lend their shares. And Elon lending his shares (2% fee from 20 million shares) would be a SIGNIFICANT monthly income! I had always been under the impression that Elon had sunk every last penny into his 3 ventures, and without an annual salary (he donates them), nor selling any of his shares, how does he pay for living expenses? As well as service his personal goldman sachs loan for the 2013 stock repurchase?

Is there any reporting requirements for lending shares out to short?

I don't remember whether Tesla still has any financing contracts with lock-up provisions -- they used to have some with Toyota or Chrysler IIRC which said that Elon was *required* to keep control some percentage of the company, which would have prohibited him from lending out those shares. I think they don't have those any more?

I don't remember whether Tesla still has any financing contracts with lock-up provisions -- they used to have some with Toyota or Chrysler IIRC which said that Elon was *required* to keep control some percentage of the company, which would have prohibited him from lending out those shares. I think they don't have those any more?

That would be a good reason, but wouldn't the ability to recall his lent shares give him effective control anyway? Assuming that's a grey-area that he wouldn't want to skirt, and if the percentage control requirement is below his existing ownership stake, couldn't he still lend out ~1 million shares earning him ~$4 million per year (2% of $200 million)?

I had always been under the impression that Elon had sunk every last penny into his 3 ventures, and without an annual salary (he donates them), nor selling any of his shares, how does he pay for living expenses? As well as service his personal goldman sachs loan for the 2013 stock repurchase?
He donates his Tesla salary, but I expect he is paid handsomely by SpaceX. As a private company, they are not required to publish compensation.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
More small bumpage at Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 10.0%
Short TSLA: 21.5%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 46.0%
Short SCTY: 82.0%, 0 shares available to short

Small bumps to short TSLA and SCTY at Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 9.75%
Short TSLA: 19.75%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 45.0%
Short SCTY: 75.0%, 0 shares available to short

Does anyone have a theory as to why the financial press has not picked up on the high interest rate story? The astronomical interest rates (especially Solar City) certainly seem newsworthy, especially these days when zero interest rates (or negative interest rates) are the baseline.

Reactions: tander and dha
EinSV, good point, guess they haven't read this thread yet?

Also is it fair to assume that an uber like service, an intent and basic plan to build many factories, or a China partnership deal would be enough to warrant analyst upgrades? It seems like any one of those would be enough to trigger enough upgrades/stock positivity to make short interest fall off a cliff, especially if they give a lot of info with the battery factory party.