Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking short interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be longish. I'm starting to come around to the idea that share recalls will (and probably have been) impact stock price. You might remember I previously expressed skepticism based on my experience in dealing with institutional investors - (a) they are very active in voting even routine matters at annual meetings, (b) a squeeze does not appear every year from highly shorted stocks as institutions recall shares to vote them, (c) therefore, this phenomenon must not be very pronounced. I couldn't identify the missing piece.

I think I found it, and its intuitively obvious - the level of interest in the thing being voted on really does matter. I found a scholarly article to back me up: http://www2.lebow.drexel.edu/PDF/Do...rgess_Proxy_Voting_and_Securities_Lending.pdf

The study found that the supply of lendable shares really does restrict prior to the annual meeting record date, and the effect is pronounced when there's a contentious matter put to a vote. Institutions really do care about their duty to vote, but follow the money - it's incredibly expensive for them to recall lent shares as it's an almost riskless cash cow, especially for a name like TSLA. So it better be worth it. A multibillion dollar merger with a growth stock in a young industry is certainly "worth it."

Tesla also has another factor working against institutions' desire to recall shares for routine annual matters - Elon's shares. His voting power probably discourages voting generally as it's damn near impossible to vote down things management wants, no matter what you do. All you need is Elon + a couple institutions to get anything done. Obviously, this is not the case here, since Elon won't be voting.

Moving on to timing. The record date for the vote is the key, and there appears to be leeway in setting it for maximum impact (or not). For anyone who doesn't know, only people that hold the stock on the record date can vote. The record date is announced along with the voting date, usually in a press release after the merger agreement has been signed (this is what's being negotiated currently, along with conducting diligence).

The key here is timing for the PR. I took a random sampling of recent merger vote PRs and results were mixed - (1) some announced a prior record date (e.g., PR was Feb 1, announced a Jan 15 record date for a Feb 15 vote) and (2) others announced a future record date (e.g., PR was Feb 1, announcing Feb 15 record date and a Feb 25 voting date). There appears to be leeway here.

Choice (1) seems like it wouldn't cause a squeeze - it's too late to recall by then because the record date has passed by the time you know what it is. The fear of (1), however, should cause some institutions to recall shares early. This appears to be happening already.

Choice (2) seems like it could cause a squeeze, assuming the institutions didn't already recall in an orderly fashion in anticipation of a possible (1). At a minimum, I'd think a future record date would cause savvy retail investors to recall shares quickly and possibly induce buying pressure as longs buy in to ensure they have a vote. Both drive up stock price. Thus, I expect Tesla to announce a future record date. This could cause an immediate SP spike or otherwise send it north leading up to the record date.

Thanks for doing this research for us. If it indeed has an effect, we should see significant move up of stock price untill the record date.

It also means that those large institutional investors start lending again to short sellers, albeit orderly, right after record date. This should cause equal downward move of stock price.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
It is my understanding that Elon would have conferred with these institutional investors regarding the merger prior to heading down this path, is that correct? To what extent can he legally gauge individual investor's approval prior to announcing?

If a certain percentage of institutional investors have already full bought into the merger plan, then how can these SCTY shorts possibly have a way out? Their only angle I see is that 2Q earnings are so bad that institutional investors bail, the merger falls through and SCTY implodes. Wouldn't Elon already have assurances that this will not happen?

Thanks for doing this research for us. If it indeed has an effect, we should see significant move up of stock price untill the record date.

It also means that those large institutional investors start lending again to short sellers, albeit orderly, right after record date. This should cause equal downward move of stock price.

I don't think there is even a chance for equal downward move, for the following two reasons:
  1. The squeeze will wipe out financially short sellers which will be forced to buy stock at a price that is much higher than the price at the time they borrowed it
  2. SP post squeeze will be much higher, and, therefore, a mount of money (or margin) per share required to open short position will be much higher
So the combination of shrunk pool of money available for shorting and increased cost per share to open new short position will result in lower short interest.

It is my understanding that Elon would have conferred with these institutional investors regarding the merger prior to heading down this path, is that correct? To what extent can he legally gauge individual investor's approval prior to announcing?

In his morning conference call, Musk stated that Tesla didn't confer with any investors because of the atypical sequencing of this deal. I'm on a cell phone so can't quote chapter and verse.

I don't think there is even a chance for equal downward move, for the following two reasons:
  1. The squeeze will wipe out financially short sellers which will be forced to buy stock at a price that is much higher than the price at the time they borrowed it
  2. SP post squeeze will be much higher, and, therefore, a mount of money (or margin) per share required to open short position will be much higher
So the combination of shrunk pool of money available for shorting and increased cost per share to open new short position will result in lower short interest.
What percentage do you think could a squeeze push the current SP higher?

What percentage do you think could a squeeze push the current SP higher?

Well, my guess is as good as anybody's, so please do not trade on it, but I feel that we will go north of $400, with subsequent roll-back to the mid $300 within the next 6 month or so.

Just to make it clear, I do not believe that the coming run-up going to be purely for "technical" reasons as believed by some.

According to some reports from the German suppliers for the GF one line there is already running with several more coming up shortly. The latest production goal is for 2400 cars per week, wich on 48-week basis equates to an annual rate of about 115K cars. At an average of 85kWh per car this corresponds to about 10GWh worth of battery cells, that are currently coming from the Panasonic plants in Japan.

The production at the GF first phase (about 14% of the floor space) coming up this year, but M3 production is not scheduled to start until late next year. Since original capacity of cell production at the GF (35GWh) is now tripled, the first 14% of the floor space would yield about 15GWh of annual production (3 x 35 x .14). Even if within first year of cell production GF will produce one third of the 15GWh, the yield will be about 5GWh. The question that is not answered yet is where all these cells, produced before M3 producton is scheduled to start will go to? The most logical answer is that these cells will be used for TE products. This is currently completely ignored by everybody due to lack of any clarity from Tesla, but I think it will change as they provide more details on their plans. So in the near future we will likely have more details on this potential of $2.35B of revenue at the gross margins that dwarfs the auto business ones, all to be realized before M3 even starts production.

Last edited:
Just wanted to note that at 400 $ / Share and ca. 185 Mio shares (after solar city) and if we include convertible bonds and options outstanding, Tesla would be second largest car maker by market cap, ahead of VW,GM,Honda,Ford etc, only second to Toyota.
One can dream

Just wanted to note that at 400 $ / Share and ca. 185 Mio shares (after solar city) and if we include convertible bonds and options outstanding, Tesla would be second largest car maker by market cap, ahead of VW,GM,Honda,Ford etc, only second to Toyota.
One can dream

It will not, as in the scenario I've outlined, automotive business (TA) will account for only about half of the market cap, with Tesla Energy (TE) being responsible for the other half. No dreaming is required. :)

Your response is very indicative of the current paradigm - Tesla is synonymous with TA, with TE not existent. This paradigm is justified, as I mentioned, because Tesla does not currently have clarity on the TE, but it will have to provide this clarity to account for the imminent production at the GF.

We need to adjust our view - Tesla is not TA alone anymore. It is TA + TE.

Small bumps to short TSLA and SCTY at Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 9.75%
Short TSLA: 19.75%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 45.0%
Short SCTY: 75.0%, 0 shares available to short

SCTY increasing (but nowhere near 200+%) at Fidelity:
Lend TSLA: 9.75%
Short TSLA: 18%, 0 shares available to short

Lend SCTY: 45.0%
Short SCTY: 73.5%, 0 shares available to short

Fidelity has been prompt in getting my SCTY shares lent out. Even the odd lots.

Did you just purchase the shares? They wait for the shares to settle -- 3 days -- before lending them out.

Short interest through the roof, TSLA/SCTY share prices both seem to have a very solid floor, TSLA Gigafactory/"Master Plan" news just around the corner.....

I guess buying SCTY LEAPS for leverage was a poor way to go, but at least we're setting up for something wonderful and I still have all my SCTY(TSLA) shares.

If masterplan 2 is about SolarCity integration, I expect SCTY board approval around the same time. Because public announcement of such masterplan would be essentially to get shareholder/public buy-in. So it wont make sense to do it while the deal is still in a limbo on SCTY board side.

Short recalls should accelerate. More pain for shorts on the way (higher stock prices, even higher rates).

• Informative
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt