TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Traction in turns

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by telsa_baddz, Dec 31, 2012.

1. telsa_baddz

telsa_baddz Member

Does the Model S loose traction due to lack of limited-slip in a high speed turn under moderate throttle?

Can you do a power slide or standing 180 on a model S?

2. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Turn off the TC and I think you can.

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

The hard part is turning off the TC. Literally need to pull a fuse.

With TC I'm perfectly happy to floor it into a corner and get only a little oversteer. It slick conditions can get some wobble but the TC corrects pretty quickly in my experience.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I thought ABS was what required the fuse pull. The 17" TC off setting doesn't turn off TC for you?

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Err, if there is a setting then I guess it works.

Still on really old firmware and I don't even look for TC off settings anyhow.

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#6 Lloyd, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    I can turn of traction control, but i would like to be able to turn off 'Stability Control' as well. Agressive driving does not like it on!!

edit..........................

Its a heavy car and I can see where it would carry farther than most are used to, but we should still have the ability to drive without it.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

That's one of the biggest complaints I had this week - we had our first good snow and I rather like to slide sideways onto my driveway from my road. I have all this HP and torque, but the smarty-pants car won't let me play! I can turn off traction control to give the car some spin in the wheels, but stability control won't let me slide sideways too easily.

8. Zextraterrestrial

They should have a special menu for that! I wanted to play on the snow sometime.

9. Brian H

Brian H Banned

I wonder what if any insurance implications there are for all this switching off and fuse-pulling.

10. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Agreed -- shield this menu with a big fat disclaimer that requires a "click-through" so that, if you destroy your car, it's on you. But it is your car, and it's reasonable that you should be allowed to play with it (without endangering the lives of others).

11. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Many cars have an extended sequence of button presses to disable DSC - holding down the traction control button for 10 seconds, for example. Maybe we just haven't discovered it on the Model S yet. I would expect it to have been documented in the owners manual, but it's a pretty short document that is no doubt short on some details.

12. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There is a button to turn off traction control on the Model S.

13. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

And does holding it down for 10 seconds also turn off Stability Control (DSC)? That's the question at hand.