Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade-in hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am scheduled for delivery on 9/26, already got VIN, but I still didn't get the trade-in offer. I entered the details and uploaded the photos of my 2016 Chevrolet Volt on 9/7 and never heard back from the trade-in department.
I would prefer to have the trade-in handled by Tesla for two reasons:
  1. In Massachusetts the sales tax is calculated after the trade-in credit, so trading in directly with Tesla should save me about $1000.
  2. The convenience of bringing by old car and picking up the new one at the same place.
I was able to get an instant offer from KBB in 10 minutes, how come that Tesla can't provide an offer within 12 days?

I'm scheduled for 9/22. I just decided to trade-in my vehicle rather than sell it myself and provided a CarMax quote for Tesla to match (they gave me a trade-in estimate before I placed my order and it was less than CarMax with over 1000 more miles.)

In limbo... but its only been 24 hours. My advisor is Out of Office today and toll-free number was useless.

I was in a similar position (submitted trade-in over a week ago but still "pending" online) with delivery set for 9/27. I then decided to call my local delivery center to verify I was set for delivery, which I was, but he also was able to tell me the value of my trade-in! Apparently it was just sitting there as "pending" because they wanted to see a copy of my title, but nobody ever told me that. So I emailed a copy of the title to the delivery center rep and I now see the value in my online account.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I was in a similar position (submitted trade-in over a week ago but still "pending" online) with delivery set for 9/27. I then decided to call my local delivery center to verify I was set for delivery, which I was, but he also was able to tell me the value of my trade-in! Apparently it was just sitting there as "pending" because they wanted to see a copy of my title, but nobody ever told me that. So I emailed a copy of the title to the delivery center rep and I now see the value in my online account.

I tried to call my delivery center in Deedham, MA, but they don't answer the phone and their voice mailbox is full. I did upload my title, so that's not the issue in my case.

Eh, good luck. I was told by my delivery guy the trade in people were backed up, so just go get a CarMax and they’ll honor it.

Two identical CarMax valuations of 14k later, I got 2 Tesla offers of 8k and no good explanation after a series of calls and emails.

Ended up selling direct to CarMax.

I just decided to trade-in my vehicle rather than sell it myself and provided a CarMax quote for Tesla to match (they gave me a trade-in estimate before I placed my order and it was less than CarMax with over 1000 more miles.)
My CarMax matched trade-in just posted to the account after about 26 hours. Yesterday they texted me to go online and post pictures of my vehicle and answer some questions (I sent the CarMax offer and a copy of my Title to my IDA by email). Today they texted me to go online and accept the offer (which matched CarMax.) Now waiting for all my numbers to get updated (including a revised 3rd party Financing amount) and get a new MVPA (I previously signed one without any trade-in.). Since my IDA is out of office today, the trade-ins are clearly handled by a separate group. Not sure if anyone will update my MVPA today or if that has to wait for IDA to return.

BTW.... I am noticing that if you think your website should have changed, you might want to sign-out and sign back in. I am seeing the page look totally different in a few cases only after I signed out.

• Informative
Reactions: willa1975
I'm approaching 9 days since originally submitting all my trade-in information.

After 5 days I reached out to Owner Advisor at the delivery center who told me they needed a cleaner copy of my title (IL is paper title state, so only option was faxed copy). I got cleaner copy, sent it over, and then was told that the the lien holder (bank) needed to sign/release the title.

I explained, a couple times, that they aren't going to release the title without the balance being paid in full, which I cannot do until I received the appraised trade-in funds, which I always thought occurred on the day of delivery. I explained that I could provide the payoff balance and per diem (daily interest) through my delivery date.

I didn't hear back for more than 24 hours so I reached out to Tesla phone support and was then connected with an Inside Advisor I didn't know I had. They told me how I assumed things worked was correct - show up for delivery and arrange payoff of existing loan and depending on whether the trade-in rate amount is higher or lower than loan balance, I pay the difference. I sent the Inside Advisor a copy of the trade-in title so now I am once again waiting...

It varies. CarMax offered me below poor condition value on my good condition Chevy Volt in Kansas City. I gave them the middle finger and sold it private party for thousands more.

Tesla has never had a particularly good trade in service. They have no interest in reselling gasoline vehicles.

Weird when I did trade in I had to take pics of car and the title.

I am scheduled for delivery on 9/26, already got VIN, but I still didn't get the trade-in offer. I entered the details and uploaded the photos of my 2016 Chevrolet Volt on 9/7 and never heard back from the trade-in department.
  1. In Massachusetts the sales tax is calculated after the trade-in credit, so trading in directly with Tesla should save me about $1000.
  2. The convenience of bringing by old car and picking up the new one at the same place.
I was able to get an instant offer from KBB in 10 minutes, how come that Tesla can't provide an offer within 12 days?

I got my trade-in offer today, it was marginally higher than KBB's but because it reduces the sales tax it was effectively about $1000 higher, so I accepted.

After 20+ days my delivery guy recommend getting a Carmax offer as Tesla bids Lexus low so I did $9,500. Thinking that was low i waited another week and Tesla asked for 5 more pictures a VIN picture and a picture of the title. They got back to me within 24 hours with a price of $9,500. Total wait was around a month.

They're so friggon busy I'd blow off the trade in. Carmax is a couple miles down the road. I sold my Model S to Carmax then took a Lyft to Tesla, picked up my Model 3 and minutes later on on my back to the Cape...easy peasy. Btw Carmax came in at about 12k over Tesla offer so more than makes up for any tax benefit.

Carmax is a couple miles down the road. I sold my Model S to Carmax then took a Lyft to Tesla, picked up my Model 3 and minutes later on on my back to the Cape...easy peasy.
Terrible advice if you're in a state where the trade-in reduces the sales tax. I sent Tesla my CarMax quote and they matched it and posted to my account in about 24 hours (I didn't even ask them to evaluate a trade in offer of their own.)