Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trade In Value from Tesla? WTF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I guess Tesla isn't in the game to take trade-ins? Submitted a request to trade in my 2015 Audi S4 (29k miles and well optioned, no accidents, issues etc) on a Model Y performance and was offered $14k?????? Based on my research, was expecting closer to 2x that amount. Just to be sure, also checked on Carvana and their 'price in 2 minutes algorithm' offered me $27k. What am I missing here? (No loan on the vehicle--free/clear title)

Reactions: westernvine
Tesla is not really in the used car business like Caravan or other market makers.

In the used car business you need to shop around to get the best offer for your car. That is rarely going to be from Tesla or even Legacy Dealerships.

While it is usually more convenient to simply trade in your old ICE for a new Tesla, that rarely gives you your best return.

So I guess Tesla isn't in the game to take trade-ins? Submitted a request to trade in my 2015 Audi S4 (29k miles and well optioned, no accidents, issues etc) on a Model Y performance and was offered $14k?????? Based on my research, was expecting closer to 2x that amount. Just to be sure, also checked on Carvana and their 'price in 2 minutes algorithm' offered me $27k. What am I missing here? (No loan on the vehicle--free/clear title)

It looks like they do not want to take a trade unless they can steal it. I took your information and plugged it into KBB and got a trade value around$25,000.
I recently bought a model Y and the trade in offer from Tesla was terrible. I contacted my Porsche dealer and they were no better offering me to buy it for $16,000. I sold the car privately for $25,000.00 dealers are in the market to sell new cars and take tradeins at wholesale prices. They frequently make more money selling the trade than they do on the new vehicle.

Tesla isn’t a used car dealer.

If you think that’s bad you should see what they think their own vehicles are worth.

It looks like they do not want to take a trade unless they can steal it. I took your information and plugged it into KBB and got a trade value around$25,000.
I recently bought a model Y and the trade in offer from Tesla was terrible. I contacted my Porsche dealer and they were no better offering me to buy it for $16,000. I sold the car privately for $25,000.00 dealers are in the market to sell new cars and take tradeins at wholesale prices. They frequently make more money selling the trade than they do on the new vehicle.
I guess I am an anomaly. Their offer for me was a couple thousand higher than KBB, Edmunds, and CarMax. Was a newer 2018 VW Atlas with reasonable to lower miles, 45k, still under warranty. Very pleased with the whole process. All done from my phone, put in info, send a couple pictures. They just wanted the keys when I dropped off and picked up. So simple. Best car buying experience I’ve ever had hands-down.

No, Tesla doesn't want your trade-in. They take trade-ins as a convenience if you really want it. Occasionally they offer more on trade-ins as a stealth way to provide purchase discounts that they don't provide any other way.

If you want a reasonable price for your vehicle, you have to sell it yourself.

Reactions: mark95476
I had two people from Tesla suggest I sell my car to Carvana, that I’d probably get more. Of course I checked a few places like Carvana, CarMax, Vroom and Tesla. Tesla’s trade-in offer came in only slightly lower than the best offer, but after I uploaded the photos of the car to Tesla and they reviewed it they came back with an offer a few hundred dollars more then their original offer and it was higher than any other place. So I ended up trading in to Tesla.

I don't even have the choice to use Tesla for a trade in. They don't take trade ins in my state... At least we don't have vehicle sales taxes either, so I don't have to worry about the "tax savings" from a trade in like I did when I lived in Miami. I also don't have carvana, carmax, or any other bulk vehicle buyer...

It's unfortunate that Tesla isn't more "on market" when it comes to trade values not only for the convenience some customers like but because most states have a sales tax advantage when trading with selling dealer/retailer e.g., a $25k trade in a 7% sales tax state could result in $1,750 in tax savings.

Perhaps Tesla should partner up with one of the national used car groups (e.g., CarMax, Carvana, etc.) at least on non-Tesla vehicles so that customers can get a fairer value for trades and still potentially be able to take advantage of the sales tax savings. I wonder how much Tesla currently makes selling used cars at auction? Maybe it's a good business for them and they don't want to lose those profits right now.

Reactions: OUengineer
Tesla came in $1K under CarMax and then matched it for me and I saved taxes going with Tesla. I trued selling private at $1000 over what I would get with tax savings from Tesla and no luck. So I went with Tesla. You can’t go by KBB.

My trade to Tesla was a positive experience. Their offer was $500 higher than KBB.

When going through my paper work at delivery I saw papers showing that they had my car sold to a nearby car lot that actively buys cars in my area. My assumption was that Tesla had the trade amount and details all negotiated before they gave me a trade in offer.

Trading in to Tesla worked out well for me. YMMV

Corky

Tesla is not in the used car business, I went with Vroom they offered me $2,500 more than Tesla. Also by the time i got the car, the price from Tesla kept dropping. I would look at other option if you can to sell it yourself.

As with many issues discussed in the TMC forum, regional differences can have a major impact. Trade-in values are market driven.

My trade? 2018 Prius 4 Touring. The Toyota dealer I bought it from, used, gave me the highest amount compared to Tesla, Carmax, Carvana.

Reactions: mswlogo
For what it’s worth
I traded in with Tesla they gave me $1,600.00 more than Carvana. The process went very smoothly

Appreciate all the input here. I am in Kansas, so there is significant value from the tax savings (nearly 10% rate here in Johnson County) on a trade. Bummer they aren’t really even in the ballpark which makes my purchase more difficult and costly. Still cross shopping against another Audi. My idea to see if Tesla made me an offer I felt was good enough to skip a return visit to the Audi dealer looks to have failed. Again, appreciate the comments here.