Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded in C7 Z06 for M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two weeks ago I decided to trade in my 2017 7-speed Corvette Z06 for a 2019 Model 3 Performance with AP and FSD. I absolutely love this car! It is so much faster from a stop then the Chevy ever was. This car hooks under any condition and just goes without any drama. The fact that It could be incredibly fun or extremely relaxing is a huge plus.

Although I'm relatively young at 29, this is my 15th vehicle. Some of those cars include a Mustang 5.0, Camaro Z28 with 500hp, CL63, Audi A4, and a Mitsubishi evo. This is my favorite by far! When I get into one of my trucks at work I keep telling myself that eventually Tesla will come out with a pickup.

This forum has been fantastic and I have been lurking for the last 6 months or so. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.... After noticing a small air leak I went to my tire guy and he showed me that I have a slight bend in one of my rims. I don't even remember hitting a pothole. Normally I would just replace the one but after seeing how many people are having issues I think it would be smarter to upgrade and forget. I would like to stick with the 20" size as the tires are brand new and I like the look. I wouldn't mind going to a wider rear tire as it looks fantastic. Strong and lightweight are two things that are important.

Thanks in advanced for any help!
m3p.jpg

Man that service center parking lot looks like my service center.

I actually bent two of my wheels this past weekend on I-65. I'm taking them to a wheel repair place to see if they can be straightened out. It's about two minutes from the Indy service center.

Man that service center parking lot looks like my service center.

I actually bent two of my wheels this past weekend on I-65. I'm taking them to a wheel repair place to see if they can be straightened out. It's about two minutes from the Indy service center.

You got the location correct! I actually live in the Chicago area. They sent my car to the wrong location, and I thought a 3 hour road trip would be more fun than waiting an unknown amount of time for them to redirect it.

Hey @Ericmp1989 welcome to the party! And nice car history! I come from two straight blue WRXs with the gold wheels you would expect... ;-)

To answer your question about wheels, I recommend hanging out here: Model 3: Interior & Exterior
Some vendors hang out there, so you will see some of them show their wares. Vorsteiner and Signature are two on there that have forged wheels (you mentioned strength and lightness). Plenty more, like Unplugged Performance with a unique BBS wheel, and Tsportline with a Tesla oriented product line.

One good thread about wheels is this one: Aftermarket Wheels on Model 3
That is my post from reading the previous 10 pages, if it saves you some time...

One key to the Performance Model with Performance Upgrade (folks call that the P3D+ or some variation of that) is the odd wheel hub that requires custom or machined wheels. The vendors around here are all well aware of that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Two weeks ago I decided to trade in my 2017 7-speed Corvette Z06 for a 2019 Model 3 Performance with AP and FSD. I absolutely love this car! It is so much faster from a stop then the Chevy ever was. This car hooks under any condition and just goes without any drama. The fact that It could be incredibly fun or extremely relaxing is a huge plus.

Although I'm relatively young at 29, this is my 15th vehicle. Some of those cars include a Mustang 5.0, Camaro Z28 with 500hp, CL63, Audi A4, and a Mitsubishi evo. This is my favorite by far! When I get into one of my trucks at work I keep telling myself that eventually Tesla will come out with a pickup.

This forum has been fantastic and I have been lurking for the last 6 months or so. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.... After noticing a small air leak I went to my tire guy and he showed me that I have a slight bend in one of my rims. I don't even remember hitting a pothole. Normally I would just replace the one but after seeing how many people are having issues I think it would be smarter to upgrade and forget. I would like to stick with the 20" size as the tires are brand new and I like the look. I wouldn't mind going to a wider rear tire as it looks fantastic. Strong and lightweight are two things that are important.

Thanks in advanced for any help!View attachment 392712

How do you compare the 2 ? Obviously M3p has less issues since no oil etc but what about Handling and Ride ?

I came from a C6 Z here. I'd love to see car's real world 0-60 times, instead of magazine/record times. I'd guess mine averaged in the 5's. My Tesla is drastically faster for me than my Corvette, at least until the Corvette hooks (~40-60 mph). I don't care one bit about 60-120 speed, when I'm running an errand.

Reactions: JeffK
I too have had many awesome cars/motorcycles and am blown away by my P3. The Tesla has just ruined every other car for me, everything else seems lame. This happened so quick, very strange to not really get charged over the hot car passing by.
I am not really a car guy anymore. Boy am I glad I decided on the performance model, that would have been a nagging regret.

Former C6 owner here as well. I still love how the C6 looks, sounds (longtube headers), and performs, I hated selling it, but I just didn't need it anymore. My P3D does just about everything my Corvette did and much more. With a growing family the 2 seat fun car just wasn't getting used at all.

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
Wider tires may be helpful on a RWD 3, but with Dual Motors you probably want to go with square.

Loved the way that Randy would be so casual driving the 3 on the track, while running commentary on what he was planning to do to overtake others on the track, critique the brakes, tires and battery state of charge. All the while eating up the track with little drama or tire squeal.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson

Thanks in advanced for any help!View attachment 392712

I can say with certainty that the 20 inch rims are not compatible with Illinois roads in the spring. I bought a full set of winter tires for mine, and drove the car with them from the time I picked it up in December. Realistically, there is little you can do about potholes, and they've been repairing them quickly in my area, but I've now bent three of my four 20" rims. The first two were bent when I lightly hit a pothole filled with water (invisible) and the rear rim developed a slow leak. I had a local shop straighten the rims and they did a fantastic job. The bend was on the inside edge, and I was warned that the heat from repair may discolor the rim, but in this case It can only be seen when the rim is removed from the car, if at all.

But then...

I was on I-55 just south of Joliet and hit the largest pothole I've ever experienced. It was so deep the wheel jerked and I ended up partially in the next lane over (luckily there were no cars to my side at that moment). I immediately flipped over to the TPMS monitoring tab and saw the front right losing air quickly, so I pulled over. Side note: Tesla roadside assistance is FANTASTIC!

The sidewall was punctured. Ugh. I don't blame Tesla or the roads - sometimes it is just bad luck. That said, I ended up buying a set of tsportline 18" rims with the high efficiency tires that come on the aero rims. I'm VERY happy with the purchase, because I do a lot of road trips, and this gives me peace of mind that I have a slightly more resilient setup when I may be in a hard to reach area (think I-70 in Utah), but also the range increase over the 20" and sticky (but great) Pilot Sport 4Ss is noticeable.

I can't say what will work best for you, but swapping in a second set of rims is relatively easy with minimal tooling, and the 20"s will remain my fun wheel/tire combo.

IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg

Almost ALL bends are repairable. Should not be a problem in Chicago for sure. Cracks "can" be welded but are not truly a permanent repair, especially if you can find a wheel priced to your liking.

As for the Corvette thing, it seems like Tesla has a bunch of former Corvette owners and Corvette Club Members.

Jason in AZ is on his second performance Tesla, and now drives a P90D, I believe.

Brad, a retired Arizona DPS Motor Officer Instructor, whom I met recently, has a Model 3 Long Range and when he told me how much faster his Model 3 was than his ZR1, I thought he was kidding. Nope. I always wanted a ZR1, and then this company started making k!ckass 'lectric cars.

As with Tesla Secret Master Plan, Shhh, don't tell anyone!

I had a C6 followed by a C7, and had every intention of getting a C8 when the time came. A newborn changed that plan, and I traded for a Model S instead. Certainly it’s fast and is by far the most I’ve loved a vehicle, but in some ways it’s apples to oranges. As far as issues go it doesn’t matter. I did oil changes on my Vettes and that about it. They were perfect, aside from being a little cramped at times. The Model S and Corvette are fairly similar 0-60 in my opinion, but above 60 the Corvette is ridiculously fast. The Model S is a smooth classy ride, but I’ll always have a place in my heart for a Corvette. I’m thinking of getting a C4 just the screw around with. Did I mention I love my Tesla

I ended up buying a set of tsportline 18" rims with the high efficiency tires that come on the aero rims.

18" All seasons on the Model 3 Performance? That is a Performance, right? Those tires would work best if you're doing mostly city driving and/or inclined to keep it in Chill mode regularly.

The stock 18 tire versus the 20 have a different speed rating and that's not just applicable for speed, but also increased stress on the tires. That makes a difference.