Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded Model 3 for new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe due to longer and faster towing trips in the usa?
Usa trailer
1689777903261.png

Europe trailer
1689778029052.png

Usa likes them big

Reactions: fholbert
Maybe due to longer and faster towing trips in the usa?
Usa trailer

Europe trailer

Usa likes them big

I think it is because of speed, how quickly a vehicle towing can get up to speed, and how safely a vehicle can reduces speed while towing.

The actual size/weight of US trailers/campers shouldn't affect the rating. You would just be limited in what you can tow. So, if the TM3 was rated at 3k lbs, you would only be able to legally tow 3k lbs (assuming you do not exceed the other weight limits). There may be less options of trailers you can buy here, but the rating would still remain the same.

I do think that Europe is a little too loose with their tow ratings. There are vehicles that do not have the motor to get up to appropriate speeds (think highway merging), nor the wheelbase and weight to properly stop during an emergency.

I am adding trailer brakes to my trailer, just for the purposes of panic stopping.

I do think that Europe is a little too loose with their tow ratings. There are vehicles that do not have the motor to get up to appropriate speeds (think highway merging), nor the wheelbase and weight to properly stop during an emergency.
There are several limitation:
1. The weight of the trailer. If it is more than 750kg (1650lb) you have to have BE driver's license (or CE, for trucks and big VANs)
2. The towing weight of the vehicle should not be exceeded
3. Speed limit for towing - 80 km/h (50 mph)

There are several limitation:
1. The weight of the trailer. If it is more than 750kg (1650lb) you have to have BE driver's license (or CE, for trucks and big VANs)
2. The towing weight of the vehicle should not be exceeded
3. Speed limit for towing - 80 km/h (50 mph)

I am speaking specifically about number 2 on your list... In the US many vehicles including the TM3 do NOT have a legal tow rating, while in Europe they do. I think a lot of Europe is a little loose on this rating...

Which relating it back to this topic, here in the US, a move from TM3 to a TMY includes the legal ability to actually tow...

Reactions: melvladimir
Other than unavoidable disability type issues, M3 being too low to get in and out of means you need to take better care of your health. If you can't get in and out of a normal car without so much trouble that you consider buying a higher vehicle, then you have lost the basic human capability of movement that everyone should strive to maintain. I see this tendency in many aspects of peoples lives. Overweight and out of shape....just take medicine to help keep you alive rather than take care of yourself. Voluntary disability to due overeating and lack of movement is an out of control epidemic in our country. Move more. Eat less. Live longer. You will be able to get in and out of any car very easily.
I'm 5'9" 155# and at 62, have zero issues in/out of my M3. That said, your "PSA" post was cold, unwarranted and doesn't belong in this thread. Did it make you feel better?

Reactions: melvladimir