Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traded Model 3 for new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I inquired and received a text from Tesla stating "To answer your question...You can subscribe to FSD for $200/month and Enhanced AP for $100/month. Your present FSD is nom-transferrable and is considered a part of your current vehicle."

I will confirm the above when I pick up the car Saturday, as I am interested in the enhanced AP.

I inquired and received a text from Tesla stating "To answer your question...You can subscribe to FSD for $200/month and Enhanced AP for $100/month. Your present FSD is nom-transferrable and is considered a part of your current vehicle."

I will confirm the above when I pick up the car Saturday, as I am interested in the enhanced AP.
That's new!

ETA: I'm not seeing it in subscriptions ...

EAP vs FSD, who has rhe feature matrix?
FWCZwqHXgAAU8To.png

Reactions: kpanda17
Other than unavoidable disability type issues, M3 being too low to get in and out of means you need to take better care of your health. If you can't get in and out of a normal car without so much trouble that you consider buying a higher vehicle, then you have lost the basic human capability of movement that everyone should strive to maintain. I see this tendency in many aspects of peoples lives. Overweight and out of shape....just take medicine to help keep you alive rather than take care of yourself. Voluntary disability to due overeating and lack of movement is an out of control epidemic in our country. Move more. Eat less. Live longer. You will be able to get in and out of any car very easily.

low vehicle, model 3? I find it quiet high and comfortable. Though I did come from a Cayman GTS.
We have a very obese, out of shape, unhealthy population in the United States. Difficulty getting in and out of normal cars is a big concern for such people. I agree with you though....address the problem rather than accommodate it.

Other than unavoidable disability type issues, M3 being too low to get in and out of means you need to take better care of your health. If you can't get in and out of a normal car without so much trouble that you consider buying a higher vehicle, then you have lost the basic human capability of movement that everyone should strive to maintain. I see this tendency in many aspects of peoples lives. Overweight and out of shape....just take medicine to help keep you alive rather than take care of yourself. Voluntary disability to due overeating and lack of movement is an out of control epidemic in our country. Move more. Eat less. Live longer. You will be able to get in and out of any car very easily.

I AM overweight, and can get in and out of my TM3. I picked up the TMY because I commute with my 21 month old and get him in and out of the car with a rear facing car seat. It is WAY easier with a TMY, the TM3 has a very little area between the seat and the roof's door opening. My wife now drives the TM3 (she's 5'3").

I see more comments (with I agree with) saying it is easier to get into/out of a TMY vs a TM3, not that they are saying they couldn't.

The biggest issue I have with cars, is being 6'2" with longer legs than the average person my height, is my entire body is behind the B pillar in normal seating position. The Easy Entry option is the first car I've had that actually makes it easier to get out, because I have it move my body even with the B pillar so I'm not actually climbing forward to get out.

Having to climb forward isn't the best experience for exiting a vehicle, regardless of one's bodytype.

Reactions: EARL99208
The inane lecture from you is so refreshing. Must be insufferable to be around you.

The inane lecture from you is so refreshing. Must be insufferable to be around you.
Right? Even most healthy people just don’t move as easily as when they were younger. I by far prefer sedans and lower cars in general, but I still have to admit most SUVs are easier to get in and out of, as well as being easier to load and unload cargo. If I was someone who cared more about those things than a car being nicer to drive, I’d probably own a Y.

And judging by your username, you would have a better reason than most to complain about obesity.

I have a 2022 M3LR and wife has a 2021 Model YLR and I've been struggling of late over whether or not to trade or sell my Model 3 and get a new MY. Problem is I really enjoy how the M3 drives and handles and I don't enjoy entry/exit from a low vehicle despite using not so easy entry/exit feature. OTOH, the MY has a much easier entry/exit, but doesn't drive/handle as nimbly. Have even thought about switching vehicles with the wife which she is fine with, but I really do enjoy the agility of the M3. According to Tesla the trade in value for the M3 would be about mid-30's range. Decisions....decisions!

Rick
I wonder if the better handling of the 3 is more due to the feeling of sitting almost on the floor, compared to the higher up seating of the Y.
Just sitting higher up will give more of a tilting feeling, plus a less instant directional change. Does the Y actually handle worse...or just feel not as direct?

I wonder if the better handling of the 3 is more due to the feeling of sitting almost on the floor, compared to the higher up seating of the Y.
Just sitting higher up will give more of a tilting feeling, plus a less instant directional change. Does the Y actually handle worse...or just feel not as direct?

Its hundreds of lbs lighter with a lower center of gravity so pretty sure it just plain handles better than the Model Y.

I have both. The 3 for sure handles better than the Y. The Y is the sportiest handling SUV I've ever driven.

Reactions: EARL99208
don't enjoy entry/exit from a low vehicle
I'm wondering why Tesla didn't implement the feature of "entry/exit mode":
  • lock and move the steering wheel to the highest point;
  • lift the driver's seat to the highest point.
Of course, entry/exit positions also should be customizable as a driving one. Hope they implement this.
I felt something like that after I made the factory reset and started setting it "from scratch" and somehow my M3 moved the steering wheel to the initial point (highest) when I switched to "parked". But it was twice and I lost it.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why Tesla didn't implement the feature of "entry/exit mode":
  • lock and move the steering wheel to the highest point;
  • lift the driver's seat to the highest point.
Of course, entry/exit positions also should be customizable as a driving one. Hope they implement this.
I felt something like that after I made the factory reset and started setting it "from scratch" and somehow my M3 moved the steering wheel to the initial point (highest) when I switched to "parked". But it was twice and I lost it.
You could accomplish that with the easy entry feature

I’m sorry for your loss
^^^^^^
This!

I'd never give up my 3 for a Y. I had a Y and never missed it the day I sold it.

After too many years motorcycle racing, my body has seen better days. I'll still take the 3 over the Y. Definitely harder for me to get into but worth the effort. Even with a young child. They were in a backward-facing car seat in the Y that we moved to the 3. Still worth bending over a bit more to do it. Now they've grown and love being able to easily see out of the 3.

Also having the 3 helps stave off any mid-life crisis for me. Not going to lie but the Plaid helps there too. I'd honestly take my old Acura RDX for handling dynamics over my Y. I think car and driver got it right when they called it clumsy for driving dynamics.

I have both. My wife drives the recently acquired Y, and she loves it. For myself, it's nice to have the change every so often, and we will be using the Y for trips, etc. My friend bought 2 3s because he loves their handling dynamics, and doesn't want to give that up when he and his wife switch. Different strokes and all that. But I love having the choice, especially for when I need to make a Home Depot run or something.

I have both. My wife drives the recently acquired Y, and she loves it. For myself, it's nice to have the change every so often, and we will be using the Y for trips, etc. My friend bought 2 3s because he loves their handling dynamics, and doesn't want to give that up when he and his wife switch. Different strokes and all that. But I love having the choice, especially for when I need to make a Home Depot run or something.

I love having both... and the 3 can't do this, at least legally...

I love having both... and the 3 can't do this, at least legally...
In the US "legally" anyway. In other countries Tesla supports towing. It was their way to force people into the Y in the US. My 3 tows as well as my Y ever did. I also learned that towing with an EV only really makes sense if very short runs for the most part.

While I did make a trip of about 500 towing, I realized I wasn't that much of glutton for punishment to do it often. The range anxiety was real. For longer trips I just used my diesel truck where what I was towing had a very minimal impact on range. So if I was just taking the boat or jetskis to the water 10-15 miles away, it wasn't a major issue and it worked well for that.

In the US "legally" anyway. In other countries Tesla supports towing. It was their way to force people into the Y in the US. My 3 tows as well as my Y ever did. I also learned that towing with an EV only really makes sense if very short runs for the most part.

While I did make a trip of about 500 towing, I realized I wasn't that much of glutton for punishment to do it often. The range anxiety was real. For longer trips I just used my diesel truck where what I was towing had a very minimal impact on range. So if I was just taking the boat or jetskis to the water 10-15 miles away, it wasn't a major issue and it worked well for that.

IMHO it wasn't Tesla that did the towing limitations (they may have made the choice of if they wanted to get the certification or not). Most cars have very limited tow capabilities (if at all) here in the US, while they actually have towing capabilities or much higher in other countries. My e46 didn't have any towing capabilities in the US, but in Europe it did.

We are much stricter here with our towing.