Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trading in your ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I traded our 2015 Volvo XC60 and got 35K. That happened to be above what I thought I would get on trade and Carmax offered 32K. We did not hesitate to take it. Were waiting on delivery until June of our 85D. When we were talking to the DS at the Rockville MD location, he asked if we had anything else to trade. He had just done a boat and nothing was out of the question. My plan was to sell my Ducati Diavel to help with the down payment, so we put that in the mix.... The high offer was for $6500. I didn't bother with that, as new ones go for >15K and I can take it to a local dealer and get close to 9K. It's hit or miss on what your trading based on desirabilty(?) of the trade....

My wife and I traded our 2015 Volvo XC60 and got 35K. That happened to be above what I thought I would get on trade and Carmax offered 32K. We did not hesitate to take it. Were waiting on delivery until June of our 85D. When we were talking to the DS at the Rockville MD location, he asked if we had anything else to trade. He had just done a boat and nothing was out of the question. My plan was to sell my Ducati Diavel to help with the down payment, so we put that in the mix.... The high offer was for $6500. I didn't bother with that, as new ones go for >15K and I can take it to a local dealer and get close to 9K. It's hit or miss on what your trading based on desirabilty(?) of the trade....

Thanks Scott. Anything you would advise I should do to get the best possible value for my trade in?
Does it matter if I get it detailed etc. before the appraiser shows up?
Or do they do it mostly online (my kbb good trade in is 15.5k)

The initial estimate of value was given based on 3 pics from my phone. When they did the in person inspection a week later, they didn't change the amount. As much as what to do, based on my experience, is be lucky enough to have a vehicle desirable for trade. I did wash the car, and try to clean up the body a bit, and vacuum it. My original guess was kbb based. It was low, but I still think I was lucky to get what I did.

Ug. Got the quote and it's about $3k lower than "fair" condition trade-in from KBB.com. Gonna take it to the Toyota dealer to see what they can do for me.

Final outcome: 2012 Prius with leather seats and solar sunroof, 195XX miles, city car (with parking scars on both bumper covers, including perforation on rear bumper cover). Tesla third-party offer: $12k. Toyota dealer: $14,500. KBB (good condition): $15-16k. Dealer offer very fair considering the parking scars, etc. Tesla third-party offer weak. I don't really blame Tesla, but their offer seemed a bit insulting...

Sorry, my mistake. It was True Worth Auto. They are similar to Carmax, just a bit smaller organization. They are a used car dealer with a slight difference. After selling them the car for $16050, they will inspect, detail and sell it. After they sell they will split the profit with me less a $900 marketing expense and $300 detailing fee. You can check them out at truworthauto.com.

We have a similar smaller dealership of "quality used cars" here in my area called "Carsense". They gave a much higher quote to me a couple years ago than Carmax. Of course, Carmax is a public company and profit is important.

Thanks. Looks like in MD and VA, you don't get the (new-old) sales tax benefit. You have to pay sales tax on the entire price of new.
It's looking like I'll have to deal with the hassle of private sale. :-/

Did something change? I got the (new-old) sales tax benefit when I traded in an E320 for an Audi A5 Cab for the Mrs. a couple of years ago. Deal was done in Rockville MD.

For what it is worth.....I sold my car via beepi.com. I do not work for them, or affiliated with them in any way.
Tesla offered me 25k. CarMax offered my 25k (thought CarMax would be higher). Beepi offered me 27k.
Real easy to work with. They offer a little bit OVER Edmunds "good condition."

Mike

I completely lucked out selling my ICE (2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid). I posted pictures, description, asking price on Facebook and within a week I sold it to a friend of mine that I went to high school with (many moons ago). I already had the title in hand and I searched the internet to find a generic "Bill of Sale" for a FSBO car transaction and that was about all I needed. He dropped the plates off once he had gone to the DMV to get his temp tags and apply for his permanent tags. Since I had over 6 months left on the plate registration, I was able to get back the money I paid for the extra year of registration, as well. Take the path of least resistance (and investment) first, you never know what will happen. My plan was to give it a few weeks on FB and then move on to Craigslist, but didn't need to. I ended up getting what I wanted for it (I advertised $500 more than I anticipated getting for it).

Okay sold my ICE, 3 days to go before I pick my Model S. :)

Here were my ICE selling experiences (not disclosing actual prices, lets say final sale price was 100) -

My car was in "good" condition, KBB values were 108 to 97.
Carmax offered - 90
Autonation offerred - 87
Tesla offerred - 80
Someone else offered 73

I also put my car on craigslist, ebay, and cars.com. Got zero bites on ebay and cars.com.
Got some interests on craigslist - most of the were really lowball.

Lets just say 9/10 interests in craigslist were a hassle and a huge time waste. But I finally sold my car to a buyer off of craigslist for 100.
So, the buyer got a good deal. I got a good deal. Everyone wins.

I can't rate Tesla's trade-in experience with good marks though.
- The inspection was in person, took an hour or so, the guy kept the car running all the time, burnt maybe $10 worth of gas. Okay lets say he was thorough and professional.
- They took 2 days to get back to me, after poking them numerous times - whereas everyone else had an offer on the spot.
- When they did get back, the offer was extremely lowball IMO, and it almost felt like they didn't want to be bothered by the trade-in.
- The offer was one sheet of paper, which was half filled, and half wrong. I did tell them that the details as noted on the offer were completely wrong, but didn't seem to get a reaction to that. Anyway, by then I had such better offers that I didn't have the energy to follow up with Tesla.

Anyway, whatever. Things worked out in the long run. Even after paying the full tax hit, I'm still going ot be far ahead.
Plus someone got my very well maintained car out of this at a decent price. Everyone wins.

I was going to trade in my 2009 MB E350, but in the end it added more hassle. KBB says it is 17.5k trade-in and 19.5k private sale. They said 13.5 and I got them up to 14.5, but that was dependent on the appraisal and I owe 13k. The car was hit twice so that lowered the value, even though the damaged parts were completely replaced (no bondo)

Anyway, the real reason I backed out was that it was going to delay my paperwork. The appraiser came out and it looked like I would get the car in a week, but financing through Tesla's third party companies they needed more time to get the paperwork. Risking getting less than I owe on the car and delaying my delivery I decided to keep the car and sell it myself. Even if they had done it in time and gave me an appraisal of 14.5k, that number can go down when you drop it off from what I've heard so I might have to write them a check to cover the difference or if it was too low for me I'd have to hassle with getting two cars back home.

I'll provide more specifics on my experience when it's over - my buying is in process - but I will say that at least in Toronto (Lawrence) there is wiggle room for Tesla to get their dealers to pay a little bit more if needed. It was explained to me that sometimes the dealers get really good deals (ie someone willing to just dump their car to get into their Tesla), and times when they have to pony up a bit more. I imagine there's a volume commitment in there somewhere.

My advice would be to always make Tesla go back to their dealer network to get you a bit more. In my case it's netting me about $5K more ($35 vs 40K) to make the deal happen. It wouldn't hurt to ask!

CJ

I traded a 2013 Prius v. I planned to either go for a place like Carmax or do a private sale, on the assumption that trading in would not be a good deal. I had Tesla give me an offer anyway almost as an afterthought, and they ended up giving me the best offer by far. Tesla offered $20,000 while Carmax and the Toyota dealer both offered me around $17,000. I got the car new for a bit over $25,000 all included so I didn't think I'd be able to do better than Tesla's offer even in a private sale. On the other hand, a friend who got a Tesla right around the same time got a really low offer from Tesla for his potential trade in. In short, circumstances vary a lot but it's definitely worth getting an offer.

My advice would be to always make Tesla go back to their dealer network to get you a bit more. In my case it's netting me about $5K more ($35 vs 40K) to make the deal happen. It wouldn't hurt to ask!

I tried :).

They did an inspection, and I didn't hear back until the end of the day.
I emailed the DS, asking for a price, saying "Hey I need to know so I can make a decision" .. I had other offers expiring shortly.
DS replied saying "waiting for buyer to get back".
2 days later, back and forth, no offer (and I have your typical acura mid luxury car, not something freakishly odd).
I tell them - dude I need an offer by EOD.
Friday afternoon, I get a lousy offer.
I replied saying, wow this is lousy, but thanks-ish .. and that I have better offers, but please hold on to this, and I'll confirm by Monday (bird in hand vs. in bush).
Over the weekend, I was able to sell my car, sunday evening I informed Tesla DS that I won't be needing their offer.

I guess I could have waited till Monday? But given how lousy their offer was to begin with, I didn't think it made sense to wait any longer.

Anyway, TL;DR;

Craigslist is a hassle worth putting up if you earn less than 500K/year, and your car is worth 10K or more.
(hassle hours divided by hourly rate, rough calculation).