Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Traffic aware cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 3 for two weeks now. While driving in fairly heavy traffic the car briefly changed (in all cases lowered) the cruise speed then changed back to set cruise speed. By change I mean the value inside the blue cruise circle as well as the car's speed. It was abrupt and I'm sure startled drivers behind me . Has anyone else experienced this or have an explanation?

This will also happen as you enter different speed zones. I drive some 2 lane roads that for most part are 60mph but go through a small town where speeds decrease fairly quickly down to 30mph. If you have TACC set say 65 or 70 and reach the 50, 40, 30 mph zones TACC will normally slow to those speeds and if in AP it will only allow +5 above the posted speed limits.

If you have your regen set to standard then you will get an aggressive breaking as the car slows itself. Set you regen to low setting and it will slow in a more normal rate and not freak you, your passangers or the driver behind you as much.

I've had my 3 for two weeks now. While driving in fairly heavy traffic the car briefly changed (in all cases lowered) the cruise speed then changed back to set cruise speed. By change I mean the value inside the blue cruise circle as well as the car's speed. It was abrupt and I'm sure startled drivers behind me . Has anyone else experienced this or have an explanation?
When AP engaged with the double-tap on the stalk, right? The reason has to do with the speed limit data, AP believed that the speed limit in that section of the road was lower so set it lower because lane holding has a hard ceiling of +5mph over the speed limit. It shouldn't do this if it is only TACC is engaged.

Same exact thing for me...two week owner- just experienced this same thing with TACC. Not using auto steer at that point.
Huh, either new behavior or there's some settings that control this. Although admittedly I don't use TACC-only very often, I've never seen this and I'm usually using TACC-only purposefully where AP will drop the set speed.

I will see TACC slow down for things it thinks are an issue, concrete barriers, vehicles quickly approaching/crossinng from the side your line of travel, etc. However it doesn't also check the set point (the number inside the blue circle).

I've had the car since August and tried TACC today for the 1st time, and I love it, even in the city. It does everything, well almost everything, for you. Now, I need to learn how to use it.;) I haven't decided whether to use the Absolute or Relative modes. Questions: 1) Which do the more experienced TACC drives prefer? 2) What car lengths do you prefer 3) What Relative-Offset and/or Absolute-Limit do you prefer?

I've had the car since August and tried TACC today for the 1st time, and I love it, even in the city. It does everything, well almost everything, for you. Now, I need to learn how to use it.;) I haven't decided whether to use the Absolute or Relative modes. Questions: 1) Which do the more experienced TACC drives prefer? 2) What car lengths do you prefer 3) What Relative-Offset and/or Absolute-Limit do you prefer?

Set the offset to -20 and TACC will engage at whatever speed you're going when you turn it on- which seems to make the most sense to how it ought to engage.

No offset and if you turn it on when going 30 in a 35, but the car thinks it's a 55, you'll be going 20 over before you can do much about it.

Car lengths I've not found a reason to set it above 1 in good driving conditions. Usually dial it back to 2 or 3 if it's raining, depending how bad... anything more than that you'll just be constantly cut off by other drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: Radlaw
Set the offset to -20 and TACC will engage at whatever speed you're going when you turn it on- which seems to make the most sense to how it ought to engage.

No offset and if you turn it on when going 30 in a 35, but the car thinks it's a 55, you'll be going 20 over before you can do much about it.

Car lengths I've not found a reason to set it above 1 in good driving conditions. Usually dial it back to 2 or 3 if it's raining, depending how bad... anything more than that you'll just be constantly cut off by other drivers.[/QUOTE

WOW .....what a Great tip....

My pet peeve is when in slow bumper to bumper traffic going 10-15 MPH on 45MPH dual lane road .....the CC sets at 51mp, and I want to keep it at 25mph. Standard. ICE the CC sets at current speed.

Great tip.