TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Transferability of reservations to immediate family

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by commasign, Apr 1, 2016.

1. commasign

commasign Active Member

I have an S and an X so I have two priority spots and therefore placed two orders for Model 3. I asked the sales person specifically whether I could title the cars to my sister and/or parents and they said yes, immediate relatives are the exception to the non-transferable rule. Anyone hear similarly? It makes sense. Rule is designed to prevent sales of reservations, but there are plenty of legitimate family reasons why one might want to title the car to one's spouse, sibling, parent, child, etc.,

2. DieAbetic

DieAbetic Member

According to the reservation agreement you can transfer with prior written approval by Tesla. I'm guessing they would be OK with relatives, but then I heard other rumors that due to some law it can only be a transfer to a spouse in california. I'm not sure if that is true, but you should be able to call Tesla and find out

• Informative x 1
  3. commasign

commasign Active Member

You might be referring to the California DMV title transfer use tax exemption which is defined as "if the seller is the buyer's natural or legally-adopted parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, spouse, or between a brother and sister, if the sale is between two minors related by blood or adoption." If Tesla follows the same definition, it should be no problem to title it to my parents, but may have some issues if I want to title it to my sister (unless I title it to my parents first and then they title it to her later).

4. AnalysiZ

AnalysiZ Active Member

My experience with this is that, as long as there is no reason for suspicion of profit, Tesla will try to help you....
    The official policy is NOT to transfer, and of course with a lot of paperwork for them it could be done but...
    The easy way will be you paying for the car, and ask for registration in the close relatives name...

But policies and workarounds (just as the design of the dashboard ;)) may change in the time it takes to deliver you Model 3...

5. CarlosSWeiner

CarlosSWeiner New Member

In my state of MA, you can sell a car to a family member and they won't have to pay sales tax a second time. So just accept delivery and then have your family member pay you back, then register it in their name.

6. GDNTX

GDNTX New Member

My partner (same sex) is the one actually probably going to buy the car, but since he wasn't available on preorder night - I'm the one that signed up and registered, I didn't think to use his name. I'll be part of the process as I'm the one obsessed with Tesla, but I don't expect any problems from them when we both show up.

7. MlTaylor619

MlTaylor619 New Member

There seems to be some confusion on this. I asked about this specifically at the local Tesla store and was told, NO, because it unfairly offers non-owners an advantage in the queue.

8. commasign

commasign Active Member

A unilateral no doesn't make sense. What if I reserved a car but want it titled to my spouse? Or father that lives with me? Or father that doesn't live with me? Or sibling that lives with me? Or sibling that doesn't live with me? Where do they draw the line for the definition of immediate family?

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

What does "immediate family" have to do with? Has Tesla officially said anything about "immediate family"?

10. Drivin

Drivin Member

Tesla owners who have an advantage in when their order is processed should not be able to transfer their place in line to a non-Tesla owner.

11. montreid

montreid Member

I would support the opposite. Friends+Family (F+F) - in person referrals are the strongest and best customers. There will be some that would want to profit in selling their status, but excluding the faithful who want their F+F to experience Tesla and not allowing them to leverage that preexisting relationship is not smart business IMHO.

12. StraightDave

StraightDave Member

You buy the car and sell it to a family member or friend. A friend of mine wants to buy my Model 3. He is going to give me the options, I'll purchase the car, then sell it to him. He's paying me a little extra if I agree to do this. He has time to wait for the Model 3 and I don't think I can wait two or three years so I'm seriously entertaining his offer.

13. bredi

bredi Member

I asked the same and got the same response.

Its a reservation, not a law. If anything, its Tesla's "Law" to change, adhere to or approve on a case by case basis. Its a contract we agreed to. But a contract is a guideline. If both parties agree to change it, they can.

14. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Quietly and politely ask.....It will not be a problem.