Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trip meters not updating in 0.1 increments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Over the last year or so, I've been keeping track of my daily commute metrics (consumption in Wh/mi and total kWh, distance, speed, ambient temps, etc.) which involved taking a photo of my trip meter at the end of each drive. I also do that for longer trips, but since those are variable lengths I have not noticed the below issue until I resumed work this week.

In the past, meaning before the holiday break in late-December, I was able to take a snapshot (photo) of the trip meter with the same distance traveled every day of my commute. For example, 21.5 miles is always the same distance between home and work, so having the identical distance would give a more meaningful idea of the variance in consumption since it was based on the same road traveled. The trip meters all updated every 0.1 miles very consistently - they would sometimes skip a 0.1 increment, so 0.2 miles would be added after displaying 21.4 and end up at 21.6, but that was fairly rare (<5% of the time).

However in the last couple of days, I've noticed that the trip meters "skip" a bunch more distance, making it very difficult for me to reproduce a consistent log of my commute. Just this morning, I saw the "Since Last Charge" jump 0.4 miles while the "Current Trip" didn't move at all and stayed at 21.2 miles. The "Trip Meter A" also jumped in increments between 0.4 and 0.5 miles, and not at the same time as the other two...

It would be much easier to explain in a video, but has anyone else noticed this? I was on a conference call this morning so I couldn't take a video, but will try it this afternoon on my way home.

I have run into this during some trips. I have a video posted in another thread here that shows me driving for over 1 minute, yet the "since last charge" stayed at 103.3 miles.

This was pre-7.0. I filed a case, and Tesla asked me to confirm that it still exists post 7.0, but I haven't seen it "stick" since my energy and trip meters were wiped after my collision with a deer.

Ouch, sorry to hear about your deer collision...

Well I was able to capture the issue in a video on my commute this morning (sorry for the shaky quality, but I made the table below to make it easier to follow).

I was driving around a steady 65mph with AP engaged. Note how the trips all increment at random times in various increments!

Trip meter \ Time0:000:040:140:270:440:480:541:041:091:221:231:261:33
Since last charge59.259.259.259.259.259.959.959.960.660.660.660.660.6
Trip meter A7.78.78.78.78.88.89.19.19.19.19.39.710.3
Trip meter B26760.326760.426760.526760.826761.426761.426761.426761.626761.626761.626761.626761.626762.4
Current trip17.417.718.118.118.518.618.618.618.919.019.019.419.4

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my video:

Note the since last mile is stuck on 103.3. It would sometimes go 10 miles or so before then starting to take jumps. The one thing I noticed, though, was that it never added *all* the miles. Let's say I drove 15 miles during this "stuck" behavior, the trip meters might only increase 10 or 12.

One quick note: the odometer was always incrementing properly and covered all the miles, this was limited to the trip and "since last charge" meters. Also note that this was pre-7.0 behavior, I haven't caught it doing this on 7.0 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I've completely stopped trusting my Trip Meter A (the one I reset on a regular basis).

For the last few weeks it's been behaving erratically as shown in my OP, and more recently (in the last week or so) the Wh/mi number just doesn't make any sense. I've been resetting it just after starting a drive, but it doesn't agree at all with the Current Trip reading (forget about distance driven...)

This morning was the worst. I drove my regular commute route, which is a total of about 21.5 miles, and reset the Trip Meter A at some point to get latest readings. After exiting the freeway, the meter A read 48 some odd miles! I had barely driven 10 at that point. I'm on 7.1 (2.11.54) by the way.

What the heck is going on with the firmware??

Ok I've completely stopped trusting my Trip Meter A (the one I reset on a regular basis).

For the last few weeks it's been behaving erratically as shown in my OP, and more recently (in the last week or so) the Wh/mi number just doesn't make any sense. I've been resetting it just after starting a drive, but it doesn't agree at all with the Current Trip reading (forget about distance driven...)

This morning was the worst. I drove my regular commute route, which is a total of about 21.5 miles, and reset the Trip Meter A at some point to get latest readings. After exiting the freeway, the meter A read 48 some odd miles! I had barely driven 10 at that point. I'm on 7.1 (2.11.54) by the way.

What the heck is going on with the firmware??

This is really interesting and bizarre, Marc.

Like you, I've been recording trips for over a year. I had not yet noticed this, but I have three days worth of data collected and not yet entered (meaning I haven't even looked at it) so once I enter it I'll report back if I see anything odd like you do. Also I'm still on an older firmware version. I haven't been updated beyond 7.1 (2.9.154.)

The snapshot below is the strongest evidence as to how obviously off the numbers are.

I reset the Trip Meter A just as I was starting to drive, so it should have identical distance and consumption numbers as the Current Trip meter.

I've proven in prior posts in this thread (and a video) that trip distance has been off by a lot, but this captures the essence of why I don't trust the consumption numbers anymore. How can the Wh/mile figures be so drastically different??

image.jpeg

The snapshot below is the strongest evidence as to how obviously off the numbers are.

I reset the Trip Meter A just as I was starting to drive, so it should have identical distance and consumption numbers as the Current Trip meter.

I've proven in prior posts in this thread (and a video) that trip distance has been off by a lot, but this captures the essence of why I don't trust the consumption numbers anymore. How can the Wh/mile figures be so drastically different??

Truly strange!

I have entered my most recent data now, and I, for whatever reason, do not have anything like that in my snapshots. All the wh/mi figures and distance figures match up as they always have. Again, I am on an older firmware version.

There are a lot of problems with the trip meter... The speedo seems to be dead-on with GPS confirmed speed, yet the trip meter reads 1.6% high mileage. Let's not forget about highly underestimating consumption, regardless of reading too many miles. I assume at a minimum it's some mathematical error with integration.

Update: installed 7.1 v2.12.126 this morning, and my afternoon commute seems to indicate this has been fixed.

I had the trip meter screen on display the whole drive back (20+ miles) and every time I glanced at it the Trip Meter A and Current Trip was always 0.1 miles apart (I reset Trip Meter A shortly after leaving the office).

The Wh/mi consumption numbers are also in agreement, which is great to see!

IMG_0520.jpg

The way the odometer/trip/energy measuring works is kind of interesting. The 17" screen unit (CID) does everything based on reports from the motor(s)/BMS about speed and power consumption. If the CID lags out, is reset, or whatever... this data isn't properly tracked. You can prove this by doing a reboot on the CID with the steering controls, then doing a 0-60-0 launch and stop (or similar obvious energy usage event) while it reboots (basically about 5-10 seconds after the screen goes black). Mileage and energy will not be tracked while it reboots, and the readouts will have no idea about the launch anywhere in the energy graph, trip meters, odometer, etc.

*shrugs*

Maybe they'll make it more robust eventually.

The way the odometer/trip/energy measuring works is kind of interesting. The 17" screen unit (CID) does everything based on reports from the motor(s)/BMS about speed and power consumption. If the CID lags out, is reset, or whatever... this data isn't properly tracked. You can prove this by doing a reboot on the CID with the steering controls, then doing a 0-60-0 launch and stop (or similar obvious energy usage event) while it reboots (basically about 5-10 seconds after the screen goes black). Mileage and energy will not be tracked while it reboots, and the readouts will have no idea about the launch anywhere in the energy graph, trip meters, odometer, etc.

*shrugs*

Interesting, thanks for the info Jason. I wonder what made it so screwy in previous 7.1 versions...

*shrugs*

So basically if I'm dragging around the nav where it's several seconds lag to update, I'm missing all that energy consumption? Explains a lot.