Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

True Story or Not?: "Frunk opened at 115mph and caused $20k damage on brand new P85"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if someone posted this, but here's some of the 17yo kid's posts from google's cache.
PriusMpg (OP)- While going just over 115 MPH my frunk opened up and ruined my car. I was on my way home from tesla plant ( Previosly known as NUMMI) and under 100mile on the odometer. That is just hilarious. gave me 20k+damage. This is a crease on both sides of the hood. The pano roof broke. and soon much more (my prius in the reflection laughing with revenge)
Someone replied that Tesla should replace the car.
Priusmpg- I wish but tesla just laughed while I cried off out of the production plant. I am going to hire a team of private investigators look into defective latches. My insurance is replace the car for me but that just means I have to wait another 3 months. Since the damage is great and the car is less than a day old and less than 50 miles on it. I'm just soo sad because I can't drive care free millage yet. My 128k is just sitting in some bank collecting interest that I can't have.
He then posted all caps
Priusmpg- HEY GUYS I GOT A CALL FROM THE MANGER AT TESLA FREMONT, TELLING ME TO TAKE THIS THREAD DOWN. I CHANGED SOME DETAILS. AND SOME OF MY POSTS. I CLEARLY JUST DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE FROM THEM OR MY INSURANCE.
**TO THE TESLA MANAGER READING THIS**
C'MON SERIOSLY?? ATLEAST FINSIH THE CALL BEFORE HANGING UP. MAKE STUFF THAT DOESNT CATCH FIRE. NO LONGER EVEN INTERESTED IN OWNING A TESLA BECAUSE OF THIS CALL.
These are just some of his posts at one point in time, because he changed/deleted many of them. It is an interesting look into the inner machinations of a mind screaming for attention....on a Prius car forum of all places.

Last edited:
PriusMpg (OP)- While going just over 115 MPH my frunk opened up and ruined my car. I was on my way home from tesla plant ( Previosly known as NUMMI) and under 100mile on the odometer. That is just hilarious. gave me 20k+damage. This is a crease on both sides of the hood. The pano roof broke. and soon much more (my prius in the reflection laughing with revenge)
Priusmpg- I wish but tesla just laughed while I cried off out of the production plant. I am going to hire a team of private investigators look into defective latches. My insurance is replace the car for me but that just means I have to wait another 3 months. Since the damage is great and the car is less than a day old and less than 50 miles on it. I'm just soo sad because I can't drive care free millage yet. My 128k is just sitting in some bank collecting interest that I can't have.
He then posted all caps
HEY GUYS I GOT A CALL FROM THE MANGER AT TESLA FREMONT, TELLING ME TO TAKE THIS THREAD DOWN. I CHANGED SOME DETAILS. AND SOME OF MY POSTS. I CLEARLY JUST DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE FROM THEM OR MY INSURANCE.
C'MON SERIOSLY?? ATLEAST FINSIH THE CALL BEFORE HANGING UP.
MAKE STUFF THAT DOESNT CATCH FIRE. NO LONGER EVEN INTERESTED IN OWNING A TESLA BECAUSE OF THIS CALL.
There are so many lies in the quote above, and they are so ridiculous ones that I fully agree with dms363, almost certainly frunk had never been opened, and the whole story is a product of imagination.

Well there has to be something that he did to cause damage to the test car.
Did we ever figure out if it was his car or a factory owned car (test drive car) that he supposedly trashed?

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure if someone posted this, but here's some of the 17yo kid's posts from google's cache.
He then posted all caps
Priusmpg- HEY GUYS I GOT A CALL FROM THE MANGER AT TESLA FREMONT, TELLING ME TO TAKE THIS THREAD DOWN. I CHANGED SOME DETAILS. AND SOME OF MY POSTS. I CLEARLY JUST DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE FROM THEM OR MY INSURANCE.
C'MON SERIOSLY?? ATLEAST FINSIH THE CALL BEFORE HANGING UP. MAKE STUFF THAT DOESNT CATCH FIRE. NO LONGER EVEN INTERESTED IN OWNING A TESLA BECAUSE OF THIS CALL.
These are just some of his posts at one point in time, because he changed/deleted many of them. It is an interesting look into the inner machinations of a mind screaming for attention....on a Prius car forum of all places.
These quotes sure make it look like it was his car, not Tesla's. I'm confused here

Later revelations showed that it was not his car, it was a demo/loaner.

A whole lot is fishy and wrong here.
One cannot open the frunk when the car is in Drive mode.
And alarms and lights are going off if you try to drive while the frunk hood is unlatched.
Adding to all that is the car was not actually his -- it was a demo/loaner.

This whole episode sounds eerily similar to Dr. from Wisconsin who lemonized his own car.
Yes, if one is corrupt and intent enough, you can probably sabotage and wreck havoc on any car.

Yes, if you have no values nor value anything, your cry for help can probably get some people's attention.
And then cry foul.
Where as the TRUTH is they just need emotional help.
A whole lot of emotional help...

What a piece of work.

'The change in postings in this thread was most interesting. People went from believing the story and 'this is a serious safety issue and there has to be a manufacturers defect, etc., etc...' to critical thinking to 'this dude is making it all up, it can't happen like that, etc., etc...' This happens in a lot of threads. People are quick to negatively judge and think the worst, then you get some critical thinking, then the truth. There's a lesson in there.

Frunk defect

The reality here is that there is a defect with the frunk. I own a Model S and it happened to me last week. Driving at 5:30 in the morning to the gym without realizing that one of the kids had mistakingly pushed the button on the FOB. Result: hood popped open at 40 MPH and I am staring at a $8,000 repair. Luckily no one was on the road however what happens if you are on the freeway and the hood pops open.

The reality here is that there is a defect with the frunk. I own a Model S and it happened to me last week. Driving at 5:30 in the morning to the gym without realizing that one of the kids had mistakingly pushed the button on the FOB. Result: hood popped open at 40 MPH and I am staring at a $8,000 repair. Luckily no one was on the road however what happens if you are on the freeway and the hood pops open.

I have a hard time believing this. Didn't someone research this and test it and find that this was impossible?

picsor[1].jpg

If you put the car into Drive with the front hood unlatched (not raised up, just unlatched), some people have reported that there is a warning in the drivers display and an audible warning as well, like when you drive with a door unlatched.

I know there are warnings if you drive with the rear trunk unlatched.

So it sounds like you missed the visual and audible warnings...