Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

trunk opens half way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my back trunk opens only about half way with the keyfob and with the control screen... to open it 'all the way', it has to be manually pushed open (vertically)... initially i thought it was while in a garage space, but the same occurs in an open parking lot. is this normal, or a mechanical error? any way to override like the falcon doors? thanks.

This is hugely annoying. There is enough clearance in my garage for it to open fully, but it keeps resetting to the 50% position. I spoke to the service center about this and they said that it is a "safety" setting. Frankly, that's BS. This is a setting that is designed only to prevent further embarrassing episodes where early models had their doors bang into walls and other obstructions. It is not "safe" for me to keep banging my head on the trunk because it won't open. Get you act together guys.

This is hugely annoying. There is enough clearance in my garage for it to open fully, but it keeps resetting to the 50% position. I spoke to the service center about this and they said that it is a "safety" setting. Frankly, that's BS. This is a setting that is designed only to prevent further embarrassing episodes where early models had their doors bang into walls and other obstructions. It is not "safe" for me to keep banging my head on the trunk because it won't open. Get you act together guys.
same here, guess there isn't a fix for it yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: HabitualUser
Same issue here as PeteP. My garage has all the clearance to open all the way but the trunk will only open to 50/60%. Even after doing the manual opening and saving it. It will also do this outside of my garage (gps probably think I'm still inside). This seems like a fairly simple fix and it would be appreciated.

i agree petep - mine is the same... and even outside the garage in open air, it gets confused and opens half way despite programming as per the discussion above.

I recall from a different thread that if you hit this in the garage (with confusing obstacles that the car can't make sense of and errs on the side of caution) and then just back it out outside it keeps the same settings since you haven't moved the car a great distance it assumes that confusing obstacles might still be there.

My garage has beams and not a flat ceiling directly above the car, which confuses the heck out of the sensors. When I back out in the driveway it often still feels unsure and applies the limit.

Same here. The trunk only opens half way in garage despite there being lots of room. It's very annoying.
Tesla should let us open the trunk to whatever height we want, where ever we want. All other cars have let me and somehow I didn't destroy any of them.

in a situation like this, i just open the falcon wing doors to make sure they go all the way up. if they don't but i have enough room above the car then i override them to full height then hit the "full open at this location" button.

this allows the trunk to open to full height as well...

• Informative
Reactions: kevinof and beths11