Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a rumor floating around that Tesla is delaying some deliveries that were originally planned for August by a month or so. This is just a rumor at this point, but with how much the stock has been up, it seems like a good opportunity to take profits. I took a tiny bit off the table yesterday as soon as I heard the rumor just incase the media picked it up and ran with it.

I'm not certain that this is what is driving the stock down today, I just know it is why I sold some shares, so it is possible.

I saw the drop this morning and just assumed there was some profit-taking going on. I also put in a limit order to pick up more if it drops further. I'm long, so not looking to sell.

I saw the drop this morning and just assumed there was some profit-taking going on. I also put in a limit order to pick up more if it drops further. I'm long, so not looking to sell.

I'm long too. The shares I sold amounted to less than 10% of my total position. Just thought if I was nimble enough I might be able to buy back in cheaper. I might even put that money back to work by the end of the day if nothing further comes to light about delays. Elon was at the movies last night...doesn't seem like things are spiraling out of control if he's got time to go to the movies.

Yep.

And I also believe it's just some profit taking this morning, TSLA is very visible on all speculator's screens since a few days. Expect wilder and wilder swings.

As for the rumor, I don't think the market reads the TeslaMotorsClub forum...

Which is why we have the advantage: we hear it first. The question is, will it stay contained, or will someone in the media pick it up (not necessarily through the TMC forum). I'm hoping we'll get confirmation from someone today that their car is still on track. I consider this rumor very suspect at this point.

Not that I put any value in what they have to say, but the Motley Fool gang also seem to have gone from BUY TESLA IT'S GREAT to IT GOT THE DREADED ONE STAR RATING...

Motley Fool is not a uniform top-down set of analysts, and in addition many of the writings we see are coming from bloggers (like us), not people who actually work for them. They encourage a variety of thoughts and opinions, and there have been cases where one of their services was recommending a stock while another was effectively shorting it. So Motley Fool is really just a microcosm of the general trading population.

5.5% drop as profit taking after a 20% runup? I doubt it. Why is there no conviction on Tesla as a stock? The price should be way higher using any future valuation model. What happened to resistance? This is nuts. Tesla has been ignoring the market movement for the past week. Why should it start reacting to it now. I don't buy that as an answer.

5.5% drop as profit taking after a 20% runup? I doubt it. Why is there no conviction on Tesla as a stock? The price should be way higher using any future valuation model. What happened to resistance? This is nuts. Tesla has been ignoring the market movement for the past week. Why should it start reacting to it now. I don't buy that as an answer.

You are an impatient little monster are you?

This is the post starting the "delay-gate"

I was initially told early August (MVPA shows 8/1/2012) for Sig #2 (standard Sig, not SSL) but now it's "last week of September". I'm told the delay is because of quality control issues.

It makes sense he will not get his car on 8/1... he's got a regular sig #2. SSL #000001 will be delivered that week.

Sounds like a non-issue to me. You guys are too nervous ;)

All I know is I'm officially pissed. Nothing about this stock makes sense. If Tesla is successful next year (Which seems very likely), the stock deserves to be $100+ yet it's floundering around the 30 area, and experiencing so many freak drops. Rises make sense. These bouts of "Uncertainty" (Which I believe are manipulation of some kind, really piss me off. I will not sell, still, I am pissed. Here is some fun math that I'm using. 20000 x 65000 x .25 + 5000 x 120000 x .25 +200million for power trains 200mil for EV credits = 870 000 000 (20) = 17,400,000,000. Something isn't right here. I suppose producing a product that clearly has demand isn't good enough to justify a stock rise? Where are analysts? I'm not just talking about the stock dropping at the moment. I'm wondering what the deal is with the short interest increasing, and no comments from analysts emerging. Doesn't MS who has a price of $50 only expect 2k cars to be delivered? When it's becoming increasingly likely they will deliver 5k cars, the estimate must go up - Right?

No one knows. It's the stock market. Most of the analysts didn't see the market collapse coming either so that their advice for what it's worth. I believe they've set a target of about $40 so $60 off of your projected target.
I'd still recommend getting out of the stock market. This much anger over a single stock can not be healthy.

Wait, you weren't pissed before too? If you truly believe in Tesla stock, don't watch it from day to day. The market is not rational and you should expect it to be. If Tesla does well over the long term, so will your stock so there is nothing to worry about then. Only reason to watch stock daily (if it angers you this much) is if you are trying to day trade and make a big profit quickly.

Last edited:
Outstanding opportunity to add some Tesla to your mix. Traded out yesterday at the middle of the high (definitely not at the peak). I was mad at myself for taking profits at a lower price point. Today certainly changed that view point. Today, I was able to purchase at a much better price waiting for the next rise.

All I know is I'm officially pissed. Nothing about this stock makes sense.

Do you come up with these each time, or do you just recycle previous postings? If the stock's behavior doesn't make sense to you, you should get out. Really.

You want sense? It's super-easy to play devil's advocate. I'll psudeo-quote a bear case:

Tesla is selling a so-called premium performance car without the luxury. The cruise control isn't adaptive. You can't get a heated steering wheel. You can't get Park Distance sensors. You can't even get door pockets. The so-called panoramic sunroof has a big black bar cutting it in half, while the rest of the topliner is a light beige, so it stands out like a sore thumb and blocks the rear passenger's view. The rear window looks like porthole through the rear view mirror, and the view through bottom half is very distorted. Despite all the cargo space, rear seat passengers taller than about 6' will be hitting their heads, and it's not super easy to get in or out of the back seats, especially if you're elderly. The rear windows don't even go down all the way. Despite having up to 85,000 watt-hours of electricity on board, you can't even connect a 110 volt inverter to run a laptop. The car is aimed at people who are used to solid performance and luxury, and they expect to get that for paying between $70K and $100K.

Now, let's look at the company. They have a brand new assembly line they've just built. It's got new technologies assembled in new ways building a car that itself has new technologies. They're planning for a production ramp up from 1 car a day to about 100 cars a day in 6 months. They are spending way more than they're taking in right now, and are literally betting the company on the success of this one model. They're not letting most reviewers do more than a 10 minute spin around the block, and the most any reviewer has had seems to be about an hour, with no track testing nor performance measurements. After a big hoopla over the first 10 cars being delivered, there's been no indication of subsequent cars being delivered. Things like a carbon fiber spoiler and diffuser are being replaced with different materials since they're not holding up during test drives.

And, this company is where you're putting your money? And, that makes sense?

So, stop whining. Cali, you should get out of the stock since you don't understand what the very real challenges are for Tesla. Take your profit and be happy - you're not suited to invest in Tesla because you don't understand the risks.

Note to all: I myself am bullish on Tesla and fully support the company. I'm just not willing to wear rose tinted glasses.

Interesting article. He seems concerned about Tesla's cash reserves. But wouldn't cash flow and cash reserves improve dramatically once deliveries ramp up?

I didn't find it interesting at all. Indeed, I tuned out after the second paragraph. Anyone who has to congratulate themselves and bolster their ego that much before even getting to the meat of an article is about as interesting as watching paint dry. AND full of 'it'.

In terms of the 'rumor' that delivery is going to be delayed because of quality control issues, then I say: That's better than having a recall. It seems Tesla is damned if they do and damned if they don't. That's fine by me too. I can see the forest for the trees, so it concerns me not. Indeed, I say carry on as you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.