Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're preparing for that scenario, I suppose you should be equally prepared for the opposite scenario and put in a stop order to limit your losses. What if the stock plunges to $10 / share due to some unforeseen events? May seem unlikely to a lot of us folks, but it could happen. I don't know what your basis is, but you're sitting on about $90k worth of TSLA stock now. Would be unfortunate to see that lose $60k in value, or roughly the cost of a Model S.

I always have stop loss orders in place. Good advice for all.

I agree. My personal view is that the Q2 balance sheet is largely irrelevant unless there's an earth shattering catastrophe. Leading indicators are far more important and that means three things in the short term:

1. Rate of Model S production
2. Incidence of problems (or not) with the Model S
3. Growth of the Mercedes powertrain supply deal

Don't forget that Q2 results probably won't be released until probably the second week in August; there's plenty of time for news to develop around the Model S deliveries before then.

The Q4 balance sheet is probably going to be the opposite of Q2... with everything between Q2 and Q4 being rather independent of any misinterpretations of Q2.

The Q4 balance sheet is probably going to be the opposite of Q2... with everything between Q2 and Q4 being rather independent of any misinterpretations of Q2.

Q4 balance sheet will be a snapshot of how the entire year ends. Actually there is really no Q4 balance sheet, there will only be a 2012 balance sheet. Full year results will include H1 so will also reflect that performance.

If you mean that Q4 results could be the opposite of Q2 results, I agree.

Has anyone bought option contracts "just in case". I am long on 40 contracts for the summer - just in case...
Somewhere in this thread someone was explaining about options. WARNING: I could have the following all messed up: I think he was selling puts, with the notion that if the price dropped to X he'd want to buy shares. If the price fell, he'd get his shares at the price he wanted. If it didn't, he'd make a few bucks on the contract. I followed options prices for a bit, and did some research, and learned that it was all far too complicated for me. And the contracts are all in blocks of 100 shares, more than I wanted to mess with at a time (I own 200 altogether). And the brokerages won't even allow you to trade in options unless you convince them that you know what you're doing, which told me that they're probably even more complicated than I realized. I got my broker to send me a booklet about options. One glance was all it took to convince me that it was not for me. The person who was talking about them made it seem as though if you knew you wanted to buy shares at X price, you almost couldn't lose selling puts. But that just seemed too simplistic and I don't trust it.

I understand buying, selling, and limit orders. I'll stick with that.

But then, I'm not really a trader. I mostly own mutual funds, and except for occasional adjustments I just sit on what I have.

Morgan Stanley's time frame for price target is 12 to 18 months. They infamously cut their price target to $44 from $70 on December 8, 2011 and the stock dropped 37% that day.

They raised it by one dollar to $45 on May 9th, few weeks ago, but does that mean the time frame moved out another 6 months?

If so, then you're right, it would be mid- to late 2013 to reach $45 but I don't think I can wait that long. I need to sell to pay for my Model S, unfortunately.
I really don't know anything about this, but my gut guess is that any time they state a target price, it's for the same 12 to 18 months out.

I know there are folks who bought shares of Tesla back when they put in their Model S reservation, intending to sell those shares (ideally for a profit, hoping for a big profit) to pay for the car. I presume the theory was that once the car was in production, the share price would shoot up. But this is essentially a medium-term speculation with a pre-determined must-sell time frame, in a very volatile stock. My own philosophy is that stocks and stock funds (in my case almost entirely funds) are long-term investments with no pre-determined sell time, and bond funds are for shorter-term money. When the market is good (if that ever happens again :( ) I can move money, if needed, from stocks to bonds, to be converted to cash when needed. The volatile nature of stocks, and especially of TSLA, means there is significant risk that it will be down at the moment you must sell shares to buy the car. I wish everyone the best, but I would not have chosen that strategy.

If you're preparing for that scenario, I suppose you should be equally prepared for the opposite scenario and put in a stop order to limit your losses. What if the stock plunges to $10 / share due to some unforeseen events? May seem unlikely to a lot of us folks, but it could happen. I don't know what your basis is, but you're sitting on about $90k worth of TSLA stock now. Would be unfortunate to see that lose $60k in value, or roughly the cost of a Model S.
I always have stop loss orders in place. Good advice for all.
I can certainly understand that advice for someone sitting on $90K worth of shares. With my piddling 200 shares, if it goes down I'll take my loss (I've lost far more on other bad investments, though I'm quite comfortable overall). Then I'll assess whether I think it's down due to a real likelihood of collapse, or because of market issues or unfounded public mistrust, and if it's the latter, at $10 I'd buy another 500 shares.

+ 3% this morning - hopefully the start of a very good week. When do we officially hit short squeeze territory?

Not yet - I don't think. I've attached a diagram of a recent short squeeze that occured for sears holdings, Jan-Mar 2012.

@MileErlic

Attachments

• shld.png
    shld.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 110
Cramer remains bearish today...that's why the stock went up.....:biggrin:

Cramer has always hated TSLA, but from his comments on the company I have a hard time believing that he has much work on it. I remember watching the day he said not to buy into the IPO. Glad I had done enough work on the company to disagree with him.

I think he will come around. He loves Apple and loves companies that build stuff in America. I think a visit to Fremont would change his mind, not sure how to get him there though.

Don't look now, but we've broken above the 50-day and 200-day moving averages in one fell swoop. I think this move, coupled with our proximity to the Model S launch, means the sale on TSLA is now over. Hope you got your fill.

Now to figure out where to start raising cash again for the next sale. Gut says to hold on until $40 before selling anything, but that is a long way from here. Need to do some analysis.

When do we officially hit short squeeze territory?

Large volume action is the criteria for a short squeeze. That said, price will usually lead volume - it's the rise in price that causes short sellers to "cover" (which simply means buying stock). The squeeze happens when more people want/need to cover than are willing to sell the stock. Supply and demand in brutal action.

Here's what I thought a pretty good article on Short Squeezes that helps you understand why people short stocks, and why and when they bail: PROFITING FROM THE “SHORT SQUEEZE”

A reasonable place to watch TSLA short action is: http://shortsqueeze.com/?symbol=tsla&submit=Short+Quote%99. To get more details requires spending $30/month, but even the free summary information is useful. Short interest has increased almost 4% in the last half month, but trading volume has increased more, reducing the "Days To Cover" number to 18.5 (I think it was mid 20's before).

Unlike Puts and Calls, shorts don't have a predetermined life span. If they borrowed to short the stock then they're paying some interest, but that's pretty minor.

Don't look now, but we've broken above the 50-day and 200-day moving averages in one fell swoop. I think this move, coupled with our proximity to the Model S launch, means the sale on TSLA is now over. Hope you got your fill.

Now to figure out where to start raising cash again for the next sale. Gut says to hold on until $40 before selling anything, but that is a long way from here. Need to do some analysis.

Would be interested in results of your analysis. Thanks !

Cramer has always hated TSLA, but from his comments on the company I have a hard time believing that he has much work on it. I remember watching the day he said not to buy into the IPO. Glad I had done enough work on the company to disagree with him.

I think he will come around. He loves Apple and loves companies that build stuff in America. I think a visit to Fremont would change his mind, not sure how to get him there though.

The episode of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart where he tore Cramer apart is a classic. Showed him for what he really is which appears to me mostly show and little substance. He was recommending, like many others I guess, companies that went under in 2008 even right before they went under.

Status
Not open for further replies.