Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TSLA Volatility This Week

One other observation: the market is generally down today, an it's October options expiration day as well, you can expect the stock price may be somewhat manipulated today because of the low volume and the options expiration, don't make any rash decisions - today.

Options expire at close of trading today (really tomorrow); the volatility this week has been incredible. If someone, for example, had puts (or calls) with strikes at $27.00, $28.00 or (and?) $29.00, it could be very disconcerting. TSLA has been as low as $26.90 and as high as $28.83 this week. Any guesses as to which side of $28.00 it closes on today?

TSLA 12 10 19.jpg

One other observation: the market is generally down today, an it's October options expiration day as well, you can expect the stock price may be somewhat manipulated today because of the low volume and the options expiration, don't make any rash decisions - today.
+1 Very good point

And to all of you other kids preoccupied with potty-mouth talk, get out of here pronto. Now scat!:biggrin: (pretty clever double entendre, huh)

Cheers! =)

the stock goes up, the stock goes down, the stock will surely come back around...

I'm thinking if Tesla drops their target again then the stock may tumble pretty badly, beyond normal volatility ranges.
See, that's when I'd *buy*.

I have a price in mind, based on a back-of-the-envelope calculation: a future "typical" P/E ratio, an expected profit per car, an expected number of cars per year. Tesla's been selling for more than that price for some time, but it has been below that price a few times.

Value investing: compute your price and stick with it unless there's real fundamental news (like, an announcement that the factory is doubling production rates, an announcment that the cost of producing the car is 20% higher than expected, etc.)

- - - Updated - - -

There have been many studies by mathematicians that support the net result on any bet in the markets are ultimately random, when knowledge (in my opinion belief of expressed knowledge) is equal. Any sane person knows, that concept of equal knowledge no matter how legislated is absurd, there will always be people who get news first.

The other thing is that news can be widely available, and people can just ignore it. If you have been studying an industry and/or a company intensively you may well understand it better than most of the people and companies buying and selling stocks -- that is when you can make purchases or sales with *superior knowledge*, even when the raw information is widely available. The same can be true if you have a superior understanding of economics (John Maynard Keynes made a *lot* of money speculating in stocks), or if you have the ability to predict government policy changes.

Or technological changes.

I've been in that position a couple of times. I spotted the problems with financial institutions before the 2008 crash (by intensive reading of their financial statements, understanding of their business models and behavior, and figuring out that they didn't really know what they were messing with -- they still don't) and dumped all my financial stocks at the right moment. Sadly, I do not feel that I am in such a position right now, so I haven't been finding any "better than average" new investments.

I missed one extremely good opportunity because I second-guessed myself; my back of the envelope calculations on eBay should have led me to buy it very early, but I didn't. Now I trust myself when I spot something.

I spotted the problems with financial institutions before the 2008 crash (by intensive reading of their financial statements, understanding of their business models and behavior, and figuring out that they didn't really know what they were messing with -- they still don't) and dumped all my financial stocks at the right moment.
I too saw the crash coming and sold most of my stocks and had my parents do the same. Frankly it seemed so obvious I don't understand how so many seem to have been caught by surprise. Unfortunately the recovery was not as clear and happened much faster than I expected so I missed out on a lot of potential upside by sitting on the sidelines.

I too saw the crash coming and sold most of my stocks and had my parents do the same. Frankly it seemed so obvious I don't understand how so many seem to have been caught by surprise. Unfortunately the recovery was not as clear and happened much faster than I expected so I missed out on a lot of potential upside by sitting on the sidelines.

With me it was the exact opposite- had lots of real-eatate and stock holdings; did not see what the banks were doing and unfortunately my stock was largely in Apple producing a dilemma - how could a company growing net billions per quarter continue to lose stock value- so I held all the way down before selling! (idiot).
But maybe for the same reasons you list about financials- I couldn't understand how people could sit on the sidelines while it was obvious the market (and stocks like AAPL, still growing by billions in a great recession) would recover rapidly so I was back in pretty early (albeit with less due to losses). Rode most of it up again. I think it really just depends on your life perspectives, knowledge base of certain areas, and of course a lot of luck- both good and bad...

I think it is what you cited... for anyone who did not click link, the "this" in gg's post was a Bloomberg article that the National Automobile Dealers Association's newly elected chairman basically said that any lawsuits will be up to the states to pursue (basically indicating NADA does not plan to bring lawsuit). I think that is significant, especially coupled with Elon's comments yesterday re lawsuits.

I'll toss in some speculation that last night generally was seen as more favorable to Obama's re-election, and general randomness.

This! :smile:

Agree on randomness.

Plus a year ago, there was nothing but prototype and promise to start production next year. Now Tesla got favorable press, actual cars rolling off assembly line(a year ago some would not believed this would actually ever happen), service and supercharger networks expanding, new stores opening... And announcement of Model X.

And yet share price is below of what it have been a year ago!
There is no good reason for that. We destine to go up. $28 is a very low point. Not to mention $27.

Agree on randomness.

Plus a year ago, there was nothing but prototype and promise to start production next year. Now Tesla got favorable press, actual cars rolling off assembly line(a year ago some would not believed this would actually ever happen), service and supercharger networks expanding, new stores opening... And announcement of Model X.

And yet share price is below of what it have been a year ago!
There is no good reason for that. We destine to go up. $28 is a very low point. Not to mention $27.

+1, but as an explanation: meanwhile people have become much more skeptical about the future of EVs (much more because of Leaf and Volt than because of Tesla). Tesla's present situation cannot yet counteract that.

+1, but as an explanation: meanwhile people have become much more skeptical about the future of EVs (much more because of Leaf and Volt than because of Tesla). Tesla's present situation cannot yet counteract that.

I am new to investing, but I would imagine the reason its not 30+ is because of the delays. While its out of Tesla's hands, delays are delays. So people are playing the caution game I think.

A valid point.

I am new to investing, but I would imagine the reason its not 30+ is because of the delays. While its out of Tesla's hands, delays are delays. So people are playing the caution game I think.

Morgan Stanley, after release of 2nd quarter 2012 TM report predicted that TM will deliver 230 cars in Q3 and 2000 cars in Q4. Tesla outperformed Q3 prediction by delivering "over 250" cars:biggrin::wink:

Generally delays are priced into shares already. But they do not matter much. I mean will TM produce #5000 car by the end of this year or that would be delayed by 3 months (end of March 2013) dose not matter because that would indicate problem with production, as an opposite to demand constrained problems companies usually face. And Tesla production rate/supply chain problems will be fixed eventually.

Basic fundamentals that affect price, will Tesla get 200 millions or 400 millions gross margins next year? Will they produce 15,000 or 25,000 cars next year? Will gross margin percentage be 10% or 25%?

Depends on how we look at it, worst case scenario (15,000 cars, $65k unit price on average, 10% gross margin) is ~100M, best case (25,000 cars, 75k unit price, 25% gross margin) is 468M.

Current delays in production rate could be compensated by increased production rate in second half of 2013. There would be more then enough time to do it. AS LONG AS THERE IS DEMAND.

Now we can estimate earnings. It is rather realistic to expect that TM would be able to get 150M in 2013. With P/E around 20 that would justify share price of $26.54. P/E around 40 would give us $50+, and P/E 10 will justify $13 price per share. You can do the math for 200M or 300M.

Anyhow, dividends wont happen - I would expect CAPEX for year 2013 to be around 250M. Plus R&D expenses still growing. Etc. But by looking at Q1 2013 report, investors will get the idea of what gross margin percentage realistically reachable for TM. And another huge question, is there a continuous demand for Model S? That would be answered(to some degree) by number of reservations tracked here, on TMC site...

Sure, this is still oversimplification, you have to look beyond 2013, and even beyond 2014 to properly estimate fair value of the stock. But most crucial question marks will be answered in several months time frame. That would be demand and gross margin questions, not production rate.

My back of envelope calculations say that we will hit Morgan Stanly and Maxim Group $50 price target after Q1 report release(April 2013). Lots of assumptions here, so more like educated guess :cool:

As for short term fluctuations, it is all randomness. This or that fund decided to sell out or buy half a mil or million shared today... Barely connected to published news, but sure news to a degree create some downward or upward pressure.

Just my humble opinion:redface:

PS. Positive cash flow in November was a very bold prediction Elon Musk made.

Last edited:
The markets were down today and TSLA was up . . . I don’t think it was randomness as the markets were down and bucking that isn’t, generally, randomness.

Many believe that TSLA is, at the moment, an execution play. The big uncertainty at the end of September related to TSLA’s ability to generate cash and meet its DOE loan covenants. Having a successful follow on offering that put over $220 million of cash on the balance sheet eliminated the cash risk; the amendments to the DOE loan covenants eliminated the other concern.

Now, the spotlight is on execution. TSLA has a backlog of unfilled orders for the Model S from extremely patient customers. (OK, patience relative to other industries, notwithstanding the chatter in the Delivery threads.)

Can TSLA start producing high quality vehicles in higher volumes each week? Can TSLA manage its suppliers and coordinate customer deliveries? The Fremont factory is massive so they aren’t space constrained. Can they train their workers and get the fit and finish of the bodies and interiors to meet the high standards for premium sedans?

The markets were skeptical but positive .. then TSLA dropped their guidance for Q4 at end of September. However, Elon reiterated the 20,000 Model S sales for FY2013 and said that 400 vehicles/week would be achieved in Q4.

Thus, the biggest uncertainty is, ‘Can TSLA manage its manufacturing process and can they demonstrate explicitly that they can produce 400 vehicles/week?’ There are multiple secondary risks, including TSLA’s ability to generate new reservations. And, possible cancellations of existing reservations. TSLA has already provided downward guidance on negative margins; cash flow should be largely be a function of customer deliveries, which depends on manufacturing. The focus is manufacturing and the speed of manufacturing.

TSLA pushed out its Q3 earnings release to Nov. 5 so they will have more of a positive story to tell and more certainty in telling that story. If manufacturing and customer deliveries are going well and trending nicely then the extra week will give additional confidence to the markets.

I believe the markets will react very favorably if TSLA confirms that it will meet the 400 vehicles/week production rate by December 31 and, in doing so, TSLA will meet the low end of their guidance of delivering 2,500 Model S vehicles to customers in Q4.

This will allow Elon to reaffirm the production of 20,000 Model S vehicles in FY2013. On the other hand, if TSLA is will not meet the production targets in 2012 then Elon will lose significant credibility in the markets. Anything that jeopardizes the 20,000 vehicles/year production rate will adversely affect the stock price. Probably quite violently, too.

Currently, things look positive and the markets are starting to adjust TSLA’s valuation, relative to the overall market, in anticipation of good news during the earnings call. Demand is strong and TSLA is manufacturing and delivering cars to customers. Production appears to be increasing slowly, but it is increasing.

As always, let’s see what tomorrow brings . . .

the thing is that i dont need more dumb moves, we already had enough dumb moves, now it shall be show time, i wanna see the baby go up and up. i bought a good amount of shares when it was under 20$ last year. So it could go up again, there is plenty good reason for it..

Status
Not open for further replies.