Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At what price? Why not sell some puts at that price point? You make a bit extra and there's a lot of premium in options right now. No lose situation.

I agree as I like the lower risk through trading options (naked puts and covered calls).

I wrote some Nov $28 and Nov $29 puts last week. Given the price drop this week, I decided to buy the puts to cover (closing both positions). Lost a bit on each. Turned around and wrote some Nov $27 puts and some Dec $27 puts.

The interesting part was that I lowered the put price by $2 and $1 (from $29 and $28 to $27) and collected cash on the trade.

Looking ahead, TSLA may drop after the Q3 earnings call (with the Q4 guidance), which could be another opportunity to write more puts/push out the puts.

If customer deliveries are delayed due to Frankenstorm, that will be OK as it isn't the end of the quarter yet and the production story will remain the same (regardless of delivery delays due to the storm).

One more thing I learned at the opening. Tesla has one employee who is targeting corporate/fleet sales. It sounds like it's a relatively new position, and the individual is the only one pursuing these opportunities at this point, but they would like to engage customers who want to enhance their green/cutting edge cred by associating themselves with Tesla.

Short Interest

The 3rd public offering increased the float by about 8 million shares (counting the "Greenshoe"); thus far relatively few of the new shares have been shorted. Volume traded in the first full week of November should be massive. "Be careful out there."

Last edited:
A rhetorical question, ckessel?

- Q3 earnings call on Nov 5th
- Election Day, Nov 6th with an anti-Tesla Presidential hopeful who has a chance of winning

Not rhetorical at all. When brian45011 referenced the 8 million new shares then in next sentence talked about massive volume, I wondered if there were some special laws/regulations around those shares and November would suddenly release them to be traded freely or some such oddity.

I didn't see any reason to think that first week would be any different than any other week. I forgot about the call, but I'm not sure I see much reason volume would be much different from the volume around previous calls. And even with those other calls and whatever volume occurred, the stock didn't budge much. Unless Tesla announces some devastatingly huge news, I don't see much reason for the stock to move. It hasn't moved much before (relative to it's normal high volatility swings), even when Tesla cut targets by 40%.

So, I am new to investing and I know this is a volatile stock which doesn't concern me much. I wanted to get some of your guys input on purchasing more shares. I will have income to buy more prior to the earnings call, but I see that it may be a bad plan since during the earnings call, or more specifically when the earnings get released, the price is likely to go down. How many think that I should wait until after the 5th? Yes I know you guys can't look into a crystal ball, but I like to ask experienced people before making my own informed decision.

With that note, how advantageous is it in general to wait for an end of quarter release for a business before investing in them? Is it always best to wait if the date is close, or are there to many variables to answer that?

EDIT: I am long on TSLA

I'm not adding any more shares before the call, unless I come across some major news that makes me change my mind. I'm holding what I have, so if the price goes up I'm happy, and if the price drops significantly I might add more, depending on what caused the drop. I've caught a falling knife a few times before so don't take my thoughts as expert guidance :wink:

I'm not an experienced investor but if you haven't already saved up enough money for the Model S, that might be a better use of funds.

It may, however I am going down a different track with my reservation. Earlier I was going to reserve in September, but I felt as though I should finish paying off all my debts before continuing to save up for a vehicle that is 3 times more then the one I own now. I do want to get the 85kwh vehicle, so I will wait till that time. Meanwhile, I have decided to invest in TSLA as I think they will go up next year which will catch me up to saving for the vehicle while paying off my debt. All that considered, I should be reserving Q2 next year without having to take on more then 20k in financing (I hope).

Anyway, that is the why of it. I already have a large position in TSLA (Well to my viewpoint, maybe not others) so I want to expand on it for now. So that is why. :)

Thank you JRP as well for your input. A neat thought. I am not as happy with my position, while I have quite a few shares already I would like to have more... I think I will wait until after the call as well. Better to be safe then sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.