Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, I don't think there will be anything in the Q3 shareholder letter or conference call to make a Missouri Short change his or her mind.

Given that the shorts have only increased in recent weaks, I don't think so either. However, if it is as Elon suggested, and the potential to short is more or less exhausted, then they can't drive the price further down.

I'd guess the share price will at some point start going up, due to other investors' increased confidence, first, long before the shorts give up. Though not necessarily next week already.

Big sell off for profit taking or did someone get an advanced copy of the earnings sheet?

tsla.PNG

Hello People. New to this website, and a bit of an investor in Tesla. I also dabble in Apple and found this comment on a website I use, Nanseninvestments.com. This is not an advertisement for that website, and I have nothing to do with it, I only post it as a reference for those interested in elaborating. If I understand this correctly, is it possible that the tremendous short interest is actually a sign of extraordinarily high naked call volume?

Most of you are aware that when you own a call spread you always have short calls as part of that spread. It is important to be aware there is always the possibility of having those short calls assigned if they are in the money. When short calls are assigned, you will have to sell the stock to the holder of those call options and if you do not already own the stocks, you will have to short sell the stocks and end up with a short stock position. If you do not have the cash margin to hold the short stock position, your broker would automatically liquidate the short stock position immediately in the open market. Of course your account would receive full value of the short calls that were assigned. You would then have the option to hold onto the long calls by themselves or sell them in the market. You could also continue to hold the long calls and go into the market and sell some more OTM call options. It really is no big deal. I never worry about it and it rarely happens.

- - - Updated - - -

I would edit my comment to add this post, however, I don't seem to have the right permissions. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I an not very well versed in how options work, aside from the definition of and method for using Calls, and Puts, and an understanding of what a naked put and naked call is. I have no understanding of the mechanisms involved in how these things work, aside from that Hedge Funds and institutions tend to be the issuers of puts and calls, as they tend to have the highest volume positions and tend to use these things as mechanisms for hedging. Could the insanely high short interest be a sign that some major institutions are engaged in very high selling of naked calls to produce a short squeeze or something completely different? With 27% of the float (Or about 27million shares) owned by Elon Musk, about 7% or 7million shares owned by other insiders, and around 37million shares or 35% (owned by institutions) and about 18million or about 15% owned by mutual funds (Who don't usually short as a matter of practice) and 15% held short by retail investors or funds too small to be forced to report. It is possible and likely that half of the institutional holders have hedged their long positions, and that retail holders are either long naked calls with the expectation of tremendous gains,

In short, is is possible that the institutional holders are 50% hedged? In short, is it possible that via straddles, (Where they sell go long and short) funds have sold calls against half of their positions and puts against the other half? Is it possible that the 15% held via retail is actually much higher via derivatives? In short, conceivably, 8-9% of the retail that is long may have sold puts and also purchased calls from institutions?

My overall question in simple English. Is it possible that due to some sort of accident or abuse of international rules on the selling of naked puts, (Which I think are illegal in the USA?), the institutions have screwed over the retail investors that have purchased naked puts resulting in the short interest rising to insane levels? Basically, the institutions are short as a hedge, and have hedged by selling puts to retail investors which may be shorting under the assumption that Tesla will drop to 0. Basically, the short interest is not retail (as that would cost way too much to have sustained this long), with the risk not justifying the return. It is institutions taking advantage of the interest for calls and puts among retail investors?

I have no clue if what I've said makes sense. Anyone with a better understanding of options care to shed some light on this?

@thedrinkerofkoolaid:
Even though it's a little bit difficult to exactly follow your train of thought, I think I get what you mean and what you are asking. And it's not a stupid question and I would love for some of the people here with a lot of insight to comment on it. I have myself struggeled with the fact that it would seem that the short interest i >50% of what we could call the "actual free float" - i.e. the number of shares outstanding which are NOT owned by Mr. Musk, other insiders, big institutions and big mutual funds. I wouldn't know though if it's correct to assume that "mutual funds don't short by principle" but I would think that in realilty it's quite unlikely that mutual funds would take a big short position in such a volatile stock. So I have asked myself the same question that you are asking: Who is actually shorting the almost 30 million shares that are shorted? Are these shares shorted for the reason you would normally think, or is it a kind of artificial situation (like the one you are describing/implying)? None the less, the short interest is hughe and if (when) the time comes that the stock climbs higher these positions will need to be covered.

So I have asked myself the same question that you are asking: Who is actually shorting the almost 30 million shares that are shorted?

I am going to jump in here with my shorting conspiracy theory. I won't be offended by scoffing, or pointing out something basic I'm ignorant about.

it is very possible to me that the shorting has been done by a group entrenched in the existing oil/ICE standard.

as one possible example, the 6 supermajor oil companies are said to have earned $1 trillion dollars over the last decade. earned, not revenues.

there are other possible groups (OPEC, or more generally, oil producers, sovereign wealth funds of these countries, even individuals worth billions from these industries... in places like the middle east, Russia, south america..., even the behemoth automakers).

taking the 6 supermajors as an example. if you earn something like a $1 trillion in a decade, what is there really to lose in shorting say 20 million shares of Tesla. if you lose $15 per share shorting, that's $300 million... or 0.3% of a year's profits, 0.03% of a decades profits.

clearly they have an economic interest in ICE not giving way to an alternative tech, and clearly such a loss is nominal... but how would shorting be an effective way of protecting turf for these companies?

consider the past couple of months for Tesla. Everyone knew they might have enough cash to get to profitability, but it was close. Elon even allowed that a secondary was in consideration during the last quarterly call (though I think he emphasized this was more about optimizing investment in Model X and G3 than fear of running out of cash in Model S launch).

anyway, we all know the fact is there has been a secondary.

by shorting and putting downward pressure on the stock price, the offering price of the secondary was lower than it might otherwise have been.

that cost Tesla some cash on hand, but it could have been worse.

Fisker Karma has had their government loan frozen for not meeting milestones. beyond lowering the secondary price, shorting could have made it difficult to get a secondary at any kind of palatable price, or perhaps not even at all. consider the clear Tesla bashing we have seen in various reporting, blog posts, and even from the Republican nominee (though in his case bashing might be too extreme a word). My point is if the tandem of a low stock price from shorting and attempts to paint Tesla as "Solyndra on Wheels" had a large enough impact, Tesla's DOE loan could have been frozen as well (by blocking the path to a secondary). Tesla's loans has covenants, which include financial ratios... I imagine ratios of cash and loans outstanding are part of these covenants.

so even if it was unlikely for all the dominoes to fall your way, if you're prime goal was protecting your profits, and you make $100 billion a year, wouldn't you risk several hundred million dollars to potentially pull out the lifeline of the $450 million loan Tesla has? doing so could end Tesla, or certainly put any kind of Gen3 considerably further out into the future. even falling short of such a direct hit, such a short position investment to hurt Tesla and negative press could put major clouds over the company in public and slow down the opening of public consciousness to their coming product (if "swiftboating" works in politics why not business... it's really about tarring public perception).

another piece. even short of the loan being frozen on Tesla, an interested party would have another payout based on shorting combined with negative press. it could be part of a broader push to characterize battery powered cars as liberal, fantasy fluff. this could pave an easier path to a new administration revoking the $7500 EV credit. again, while this wouldn't necessarily kill Tesla, it would certainly slow down the adoption of EVs. this last pathway of a conspiracy is consistant with Romney calling Tesla a loser, and criticizing the government supporting the fostering of new technologies by direct assistance to companies (the loans which he called an investment).

I'll give one final reason for the idea of a conspiracy. shorting a stock is risky. when you go long you can lose your investment. when you short, there's no limit to your potential losses (I guess as much rope as your broker offers to hang yourself). I understand that Tesla could fail, and that draws the attention of shorts. at the same time, if Tesla does succeed, it could be spectacular success- a tremendous disincentive to short (think Elon's "Tsunami of pain," "very unwise" comments). based on normal motivations and risks regarding shorting it just doesn't make sense that Tesla would be the most shorted company in the market. this would be consistant with an abnormal motivation for shorting.

anyway, I realize this is a super long post, but I just thought I'd throw this out here as we eagerly look forward to Monday's call... and, oh yeah, an election too.

Last edited:
SteveG3, I love conspiracy theories and do think that there's some meat to yours!

One other impact that I can think of if TSLA stays in this zone for a long time: attrition of key employees. Elon himself has said that, much like many other Silicon Valley companies, Tesla employees do not get great salaries but get good stock option grants. Tech firms around here cannot hold onto good engineers for too long if the stock doesn't do very well during a typical 1-4 year vesting cycle even if employees believe in Tesla's mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.