Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not purely TSLA related, but I received my "finalize email" tonight, and have finalized. The estimated delivery window is "February / March 2013". I only reserved on July 2nd, and my reservation # is P10010 so they seem to be really pumping up production... I am getting the 85KW, but non-performance. Just an FYI, I think they will make 20K deliveries in 2013 without any issue. Very happy with my long TSLA position as well, glad it's in my IRA, so I can leave it grow.

Cash flow positive

Twitter / elonmusk: Am happy to report that Tesla ...

Sorry everyone who sold today. This is big. Gapworthy

That's fine with me. If my only problem is that the stock rockets higher and I only have 85% of the position I wanted, that's a high quality problem. I need more problems like that. Elon could have just as easily announced more delays today. Raising cash was the right move, I'd do it again.

Last edited:
Here's the update from my broker.

10:04 AM EST, 12/04/2012 (MidnightTrader) -- Tesla Motors (TSLA) shares are down 1% following a report by the Washington Times claiming the company may be under investigation. According to an article in the paper, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is cracking down on Tesla for using foreign parts in the construction of its vehicles. Specifically, ICE wants to know whether or not Tesla was using its foreign trade zone status to bypass federal loan requirements that companies accepting funding must use domestically produced parts. In 2010, Tesla entered a $465 million loan with the U.S. Dept. of Energy.
Price: 34.28, Change: -0.34, Percent Change: -0.99
MidnightTrader - Stock News, Earnings Alerts, Pre-Market, After-Hours, Trading Ideas (C) 1999-2012 MidnightTrader, Inc. All rights reserved.

Two things that confuse me about that article. 1) Aren't almost 100% of the components in a Fisker produced abroad? I could swear the car is produced in Finland. 2) I did read somewhere that indeed Tesla does not qualify under NAFTA. I couldn't get a clear answer on why, however, I suspect it has to do with the battery being sourced from Panasonic. I asked someone at Tesla about it, and they basically said it didn't meet the technical minimum. I don't believe this was a secret? Where is the problem?

Another (article?) that seems very oddly written.
Elon Musk Says Tesla Has Stopped Burning Cash - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

As an investor, I definitely agree that he should have issued a real press release instead of tweeting it. However, there is nothing wrong with him making the announcement that way (I think?), and frankly, it's been his style all along. Consistency is a good thing.

Part of me wishes that the media would "Report" on what is happening at Tesla, rather then "Make mention" of things that will satisfy what the public wants to hear.

What scares me is that the left leaning media are very pro Auto Unions, and the current status quo in the industry, partly because that's how their audience thinks. Until this perception changes, I don't think we will start seeing many newspapers giving much attention to Tesla, simply because it's not what people want to hear.

My bet is they are playing it safe in what they report, and are appealing to what they perceive as their base. Also, they don't want to call Tesla a winner until they report being "Profitable" to avoid being wrong. You're never wrong if you overgeneralize :p

Then again, a reporter is obviously never wrong, since even if the facts are incorrect to the point of being slanderous, they can simply say they had a bad source. Malicious intent is very difficult to prove. Sadly "Most" contemporary "Newspapers" are in the business of "Selling" news rather then "Reporting" facts :(

Even though being "Cash Flow Positive" is a monumental achievement, I don't think it will get much coverage. However, It's always possible that I am wrong.

Interestingly, as an investor who believes in Tesla, I am thrilled that people underestimate Tesla. It gives so much more upside for the stock once the shorts are "Proven" to be wrong :)

Only problem I see happening is if the ICE and NADA aren't found to have a valid case :(

If this happens, I will lose all faith in our legal system. Not only would a victory for the ICE be ironic, it would also be a terrible blow for free enterprise :/

I'm an independent pragmatist :/

Last edited:
Two things that confuse me about that article. 1) Aren't almost 100% of the components in a Fisker produced abroad? I could swear the car is produced in Finland. 2) I did read somewhere that indeed Tesla does not qualify under NAFTA. I couldn't get a clear answer on why, however, I suspect it has to do with the battery being sourced from Panasonic. I asked someone at Tesla about it, and they basically said it didn't meet the technical minimum. I don't believe this was a secret? Where is the problem?

Another (article?) that seems very oddly written.
Elon Musk Says Tesla Has Stopped Burning Cash - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

Here's my analysis on the issue.
The paper is Washington times
The probe was started last year
DOE refuses to crack down on it.
GM also has foreign parts
The paper is not Washington Post nor WSJ nor Barron's.
There's a barrage of similar news in the usual channel pointing to the same article the pattern indicates it's paid by traders.
There is a market maker with a huge short on TSLA jan 35 options. This was expected. But waaaay too weak. I was expecting something bigger.
It worries me that Elon is commenting on cash flow during the quiet period. Anyone know if what he did was not against the rules?

Some blurbage from the article. In short, I'm not sure why it's even come up as it doesn't sound like Tesla's loan has any such limitations to investigate:
The Energy Department watchdog office ultimately declined to join the probe, telling ICE that the federal loan to Tesla came about through a federal appropriations bill — not under Mr. Obama’s stimulus program.
While lots of taxpayer money was at stake either way, the difference in the funding source meant that the Tesla loan “does not have the same buy American requirement,” investigators from the Energy Department’s inspector general told ICE, according to records.

Here's the buy American provision for the DOE. Which I think the article is trying to leverage to create fear. Because nothing like a government crackdown can create the amount of fear needed. notice how it says "applies only to Public works and infrastructures".

Buy American Provision

This Web page contains guidance for financial assistance recipients regarding Buy American Recovery Act provisions under projects funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and administered by the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE).The Buy American provision in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (section 1605 of Title XVI), provides that, unless one of three listed exceptions applies (nonavailability, unreasonable cost, and inconsistent with the public interest), and a waiver is granted, none of the funds appropriated or otherwise made available by the Act may be used for a project for the construction, alteration, maintenance, or repair of a public building or public work unless all the iron, steel, and manufactured goods used are produced in the United States.Please check this page regularly, as the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy will provide updates as further guidance is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.