Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this compare to the first day of the short squeeze of 2012-2013 ?

Dollar wise ?
Percentage wise ?

I don’t think that there was a clear single day that the rally started, but I do remember getting used to seeing it go up 5% regularly in 2013 and being disappointed if it only went up 1-2% in a day.

The day it started, IIRC, was at the NAIAS when Jerome announced that 2012 Q4 was 'profitable' and that Tesla would continue to grow 'Recklessly' (there was a language issue and he meant to say 'Relentlessly). It corresponded to a triple witch option expiry and the stock jumped and continued to go up. This was confirmed on the Q1 ER so early 2013 saw incredible short squeezing.

To get a true short squeeze you need not only a high short interest (like we have) but a company changing financial event that is unexpected. While evidence of hitting some model 3 guidance production will produce a nice bump in the SP and some squeezing of shorts I doubt we will see 2013 price appreciation, by percentage, again.

I can't believe I just did this, but I set a sell order at $360. I expect to get back in again in the 330s or lower at some point. We won't hit that today, but I expect it sometime in the next two weeks.
Pretty sound strategy based on recent trend, PPS seem to oscillate between $330 and $360. I would set the sell price a little below $360. We got close a few times but have not actually touched $360. But with TSLA and M3 ramp at its current stage, any week could bring new news, so it's only a matter of time before the $330-$360 pattern gets broken.

I can't believe I just did this, but I set a sell order at $360. I expect to get back in again in the 330s or lower at some point. We won't hit that today, but I expect it sometime in the next two weeks.

What if it never gets back to $330's?

Pretty sound strategy based on recent trend, PPS seem to oscillate between $330 and $360. I would set the sell price a little below $360. We got close a few times but have not actually touched $360. But with TSLA and M3 ramp at its current stage, any week could bring new news, so it's only a matter of time before the $330-$360 pattern gets broken.

I think the curse of $360 will be broken next time. I think twelfth time is the charm.

My SP prediction remains $500 by 5,000 sustainable weekly Model 3 production rate and $1,000 by 10,000 (instead of a time-based prediction).

Last edited:
The day it started, IIRC, was at the NAIAS when Jerome announced that 2012 Q4 was 'profitable' and that Tesla would continue to grow 'Recklessly' (there was a language issue and he meant to say 'Relentlessly). It corresponded to a triple witch option expiry and the stock jumped and continued to go up. This was confirmed on the Q1 ER so early 2013 saw incredible short squeezing.

To get a true short squeeze you need not only a high short interest (like we have) but a company changing financial event that is unexpected. While evidence of hitting some model 3 guidance production will produce a nice bump in the SP and some squeezing of shorts I doubt we will see 2013 price appreciation, by percentage, again.

That was a great day, but that was in 2014 and the stock had already tripled by the point, so I wouldn’t consider that the start.

Reactions: StapleGun

I think the curse of $360 will be broken next time. I think twelfth time is the charm.

My stock price prediction remains $500 by 5,000 sustainably weekly Model 3 production rate and $1,000 by 10,000.
I'm gonna go with baker's dozen. I'm hoping this will run up for a few more days into the $350s, at which point I plan to get out of some J19Cs, wait a few days for it to drift down a bit, and get back into J20Cs.

I think it'll break when it has a reason to break. If it runs up on hype again, it'll sink. Confirmation of the do-hickey from Germany installed and working properly would probably be enough to break it, and that's supposedly sometime this month.

I think we are all "hoping" it'll happen this month. But historically, we are always given the most rosy of pictures. We are hoping it arrives this month, then we are hoping it will be installed in short order, then we are hoping it will ramp quickly. It feels like a lot of hope for such a short period of time. This spike has been a blessing, I'd prepare accounts for that blessing to fade if we dont start seeing a bit of steak.

My SP prediction remains $500 by 5,000 sustainable weekly Model 3 production rate and $1,000 by 10,000, instead of a time-driven prediction.

It's possible. Although I'd prefer to gamble on the side of taking profits now vs allowing profits to disappear again. And I still see no concrete sign that the 2500 mark will be hit, or even approached, so I'm betting on a reset after Q1 delivery numbers come out.

Reactions: Tenable
It seems unlikely to me that the pattern of climbing somewhere between 7 - 27% with an average around 16%, and then dropping between 7 - 21%, with an average around 12%, is unlikely to suddenly end soon. Eventually, we will have a climb that will eclipse 27% by quite a lot, but probably not this month. I'm kinda hoping for a few more months of this pattern since I finally think I've got the hang of this.

Reactions: Tenable and gene
How does this compare to the first day of the short squeeze of 2012-2013 ?

Dollar wise ?
Percentage wise ?

I agree if your point is that the Model 3 getting out of the woods would be the biggest positive for Tesla since the Model S got out of the woods. Tesla is not nearly as undervalued as it was in 2013, so, price being multiplied by 4 in several months is all but certain not something we will see. Up 30-50% in a year or less we may see.

As to “squeeze”, I’ve been following Tesla closely since Spring of 2012- Tesla has never had a short squeeze and I doubt it ever will. They are extraordinarily rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.