Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume another victim to the media's bullshit headlines. Most made it seem like Musk was gone. Maybe somewhere buried in the article it mentioned he's still CEO.
Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I thought there was still several months before he had to be replaced as Chairman. Correct me if I'm wrong. Was that in the earlier proposed settlement?

Reactions: SpaceCash
The funny thing is, you'd actually get more range in your Roadster that way ;) The "500 mile" Semi is only rated as such for when carring a 80k lb GVW. You'll get far more if your only cargo is a Roadster.

The really cool thing would be if you could retrofit a Semi into something equivalent to a huge Class A RV. A typical trailer is about 15m in length. Surely the Roadster is under 5m length. 10m living area, 5m garage, solar panels on the roof, rainwater collection.... ;)

ED: Whoa:

semi-luxury-mobile-home-32117 - Cavareno Home Improvment Galleries

semi-luxury-mobile-home-32117.jpg

ashton-kutchers-trailer-mobile-home-anderson-8.jpg

You'd need to extend the aero shrouds, but that'd be an impressive way to travel! Manufacturer is "Anderson Mobile Estates"

ED2: The more that I think about it, the more I can picture it being used more than just a way for retirees to travel in luxury. Picture, say, mobile restaurants that switch cities every week or two... hotels that drive into town when there's festivals on and in general go wherever the demand will be... things of that nature. The cheaper you can haul cargo, the more practical such things become. And with enough solar, and keeping trips down to a few hundred miles, it wouldn't even need megachargers. Combined with rainwater collection, all you really need is an occasional sewage stop.
YES>>>YES>>>YES! Today I want one. I'm just shy of 2 years till retirement and am going to sell everything I own and roam this great country in a class A rv. A Tesla RV would be a dream come true.

Sorry what were you saying again? :)

Umm...where’s the rest if it? The SP isn’t even $310. I’ll prick my ears a bit when the SP is level to pre-private tweet AND rising strongly from there based on Q3 numbers.

Until then, been here, done this for months on end. We’ve gained nothing. Tomorrow the shorts get free reign again.

1) Does it specify anywhere in the settlement who selects the independent chairman/directors?

2) Does the SEC confirm/determine their continued "independence" by reviewing the inter-workings of the Board?
2a)If so, how do you safeguard Tesla's intellectual property rights?

3) Speaking of which, IF the chairman/director's are truly independent ie, having no ties to/interest in Tesla's future profitability/growth, what is going to compel them to do the "right thing" for Tesla's growth vs other legacy industries?

Umm...where’s the rest if it? The SP isn’t even $310. I’ll prick my ears a bit when the SP is level to pre-private tweet AND rising strongly from there based on Q3 numbers.

Until then, been here, done this for months on end. We’ve gained nothing. Tomorrow the shorts get free reign again.
Things feel different this time. I definitely get you, but the hype feels like it's on a different level, and the numbers are looking to be reallllllly exciting. I bet we end the week above tree fitty

All, I just want to point out that I've seen a few forum posts where people's cars don't show up as delivered in the system and I'm experiencing this myself. It seems 'ops' is really swamped. If I'm correct in assuming this information is what they use to generate the report than I expect it to be later than normal. I wouldn't be surprised if we heard it was delayed past the normal 3 days.

That, or they go for a low-balled number that comes out earlier. It would be really cool if the stock price drops after a delay in releasing the numbers to give us one more buying opportunity.

Reactions: ZachShahan
As long as VW/Ford/Daimler/Toyota/GM are still making DOZENS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN PROFITS, selling gasoline cars, we're far from the end.

While technically true, there's three major flaws in this line of argument:

1)

The problem with ICE automotive are the profit margins, which are atrociously low at 6%, which makes them fragile to even small fluctuations in demand.

I.e. they are only making 'dozens of billions of dollars in profit', because they have an even higher revenue base.

A comparatively small drop in demand can cripple them - as it did around 2009 when every U.S. car companies went bankrupt, except Ford and Tesla, because consumers mostly voluntarily reduced their consumption due to economic uncertainty and deleveraging:

fredgraph.png

And that was a temporary drop in demand everyone knew would recover within a couple of years - while the EV related drop in demand is going to be permanent, it's never going to recover once gone. 90%+ of the customers who buy Teslas never buy an ICE car, ever again.

2)

But it gets worse: to ICE carmakers every EV sale made is a lost ICE sale. So by converting to EVs they lose the profits from their highly optimized ICE products unexpectedly early, years before expected end of life, reducing margins and forcing eventual write-offs.

This creates a catch-22 problem: they rely on ICE sales and profits for their valuation and for the continuation of their business, but by reducing ICE sales they lose valuation. There's a lag of at least 3-5 years before they can mass-manufacture the entirely new technology - during which time they are exposed to the drop in demand, drop in valu

3)

ICE carmakers are new to the EV world, it's a largely new industry to them, where they don't know how to scale up and don't want to scale up due to problems #1 and #2.

So even if they enter the "we have to build EVs" phase, just about now, they are in a fundamentally disadvantageous position not just competitively but from a fundamental business model point of view.

And they cannot just change the business model, unless they are willing to write off hundreds of billions of dollars of ICE equipment within the next couple of years. So the only path they have forward is an expensive, painful 'conversion' and dual-technology ICE/EV manufacturing process - which might or might not work out in the end, plus they have to hope ICE demand doesn't deteriorate.

We all expected today to be a nice climb and it has proven to be just that. Having the shorts limited certainly helped. What happens tomorrow now as they return, probably pretty fired up now? We may get delivery numbers before trading tomorrow. Even if those are positive, as we expect, the shorts are likely to attack pretty hard. If trading volume is high, that may not have much effect. It seems that we are going to need a high volume positive day to push up through the $310ish resistance. Thoughts?

In time, they may need to cut prices on gasmobiles to keep them competitive with EVs. Margin compression will not be kind to the old guard.

Indeed, and note that it's even worse than just 'margin compression', because global average margins are around 6%:

But even a 10% cut in the price (which would bankrupt 90% of the carmakers) wouldn't make them competitive with EVs!

The only basis the overwhelming majority of ICE models can compete on is availability and minimum price (affordability). Only 10-20% of the market can afford a $50k Model 3, but around ~50% will be able to afford a $35k Model 3.

Once that happens the highest margin ICE sales will convert to Model 3's and in 2 years SUV sales convert to Model Y's.

Last edited:
Production data could be released later today (4-5pm) or tomorrow morning (9am), it will be interesting to see the market reaction to that, because plugging those delivery figures into their existing models most analysts will have to increase their Q3 projections.

Yes, very interesting.

In addition to the TSLA investor's point of view, I am also very interested in seeing Q3 US sales for the other passenger car makers.

Now that it is unfolding in full view we must start to get some indication of which companies will be challenged in adapting to Tesla's Secret Master Plan. Everyone?

As far as I can see, the September numbers come out on Wednesday:
2018 U.S. Monthly Auto Sales Calendar And Selling Days For Every Month

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.