Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else concerned about possible upcoming expansion of Saudi investment in Tesla given the apparent assassination of a U.S. Green Card holding journalist likely by the Sauidi government? Twitter is full of activity right now about companies, media, and governments backing out of the Davos in the Desert event, which was rumored to be where a major Tesla announcement was going to be made.

Now what? Will/should Tesla walk from the deal? If not, does the stock (and company reputation) take a huge hit?

Let me know when there’s concrete evidence of who the assassin is and their personal motive.

No rush for me: I can't take advantage of the tax credit. Of course, the corollary is that I can't afford a Tesla either :(

I don't know what the split in the US is for those who can take advantage of the tax credit, but there is a common misconception around EV discussions that everyone has a large tax burden that will be offset by the credit. Not everyone makes that much money. :(

No rush for me: I can't take advantage of the tax credit. Of course, the corollary is that I can't afford a Tesla either :(

I don't know what the split in the US is for those who can take advantage of the tax credit, but there is a common misconception around EV discussions that everyone has a large tax burden that will be offset by the credit. Not everyone makes that much money. :(

Convert IRA money to Roth IRA money. Creates tax liability.

I'm really not sure how that would affect my taxes. I know that there's a 10% penalty for early IRA withdrawals, but that's the limit of my knowledge. I'll have to take a look.

But I'm not sure how many, if any, of the people I know even have IRAs. My general point is that many people can't qualify for any, much less all, of the EV tax credit so it isn't relevant to them.

• Informative
Reactions: dqd88 and wipster
Unless you already maxed your Roth for the year. I'm looking for creative ways to up my liability for the year as I funded my regular pretax IRA heavily at the start of the year until I realized that I wasn't going to get 7k in tax liability at that rate. Any ideas other then make more money (already on that)?

Sorry for getting off topic. At this point I am really glad that Tesla isn't being taken private with Suadi funds as the US has an automatic sanctions protocol if your government is found to have been whacking journalists. Would have made for a lot of uncertainty.

I'm really not sure how that would affect my taxes. I know that there's a 10% penalty for early IRA withdrawals, but that's the limit of my knowledge. I'll have to take a look.

But I'm not sure how many, if any, of the people I know even have IRAs. My general point is that many people can't qualify for any, much less all, of the EV tax credit so it isn't relevant to them.

If you make enough to afford a Tesla, you should have enough taxes to get the full rebate. Unless you are really good at avoiding taxes.

If you make enough to afford a Tesla, you should have enough taxes to get the full rebate. Unless you are really good at avoiding taxes.
my first post included the comment that I don't make enough to afford a Tesla. Stock is one thing, a vehicle is another. Theoretically, yes, I could get a Tesla. And I keep running through the math trying to find a way.

But I could be making a substantial amount more (enough to buy a Tesla) and *still* not be able to take advantage of the tax break. These discussions seem to be mostly by people who unquestionably make enough money to have large tax burdens so the reality of many buyers seems to be missed.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin and dqd88

That doesn't count as an early withdrawal. IIRC you can do one of those conversions per 365 days. If you move 20k over you basically add 20k to your income for the year.

I'm not too sure, considering the attention span with modern media is measured in days if you wait a couple of weeks just before the U.S. election and then announce it quietly it would probably be noted but a little.

when it comes to potential FUD re Tesla the attention is top notch... burning cardboard, $650,000 overdue tax payments... it’s as if there were an army of FUD tipsters handing them talking points.

There is convergence at end of quarter and divergence at beginning of quarter :)

upload_2018-10-12_7-44-15.png

Bloomberg has changed the model to a 13 week trailing average. It will avoid spikes and troughs due to erratic reported VINs from Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.