Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The KSA issue, if there's even substance to the rumor, is a true sophie's choice in my opinion. Either path -- that is, creating distance between KSA or not subsequent to Khashoggi's likely murder (let's call it what it is) -- is full of pitfalls. Ironically, could be yet another black swan event in a year already chock-full of them.

To understand this problem, perhaps try Trolley problem - Wikipedia

Except the twist here is that somebody already flipped the switch and the trolly has already done its damage.

Tesla's choice is to either
  • a) Point at the person that flipped the switch and say "I will not associate myself with that person", or
  • b) Take a bunch of that person's money to make the world better.
To me (b) is the obvious choice. Its benefits are:
  • You make the world better.
  • You put money in Tesla's coffers to help make the world even bettererer.
  • You take money away from the bad guy and give it to the good guys.
3 big wins in my book.

FD520618-066A-4D01-8DF4-E0A88E932631.jpeg
Neal Boudette is looking for some DM stories about Model 3. I suggest people DM him

View attachment 343184

Mark Matousek is also looking for owner stories. I hope I helped legitimize Zach’s Pravduh tracker just a bit here :)

I don't think I understand your point here. Are you arguing that people shouldn't care about Saudi Arabia kidnapping/torturing/murdering a journalist because people don't care about China's human rights violations? Or are you arguing that people should care more about China's human rights violations?

I say it is massive hypocrisy to call for a boycott of KSA while extolling the PRC for environmental leadership.

There is confusion about government subsidies. Some are to make it possible for people to do what would otherwise be impossible. Public housing and food stamps are an example. Most government susidies and tax breaks are to shape behavior. It is not so much that the government wants to help anyone buy an EV, the government thinks that more EVs on the road serve a public good. The tax credit is there to shape behavior, not to save you money.

Only 120k? The US has 2.2 million prisoners, which is more than 6 times as many prisoners per capita as China. If you want to get specific, they also tend to be of a particular ancestry. Talk about a glass house.

Perhaps it's best to not mix politics with business.

You believe China's Communist Party statistics?

One country has due process the other does not.

On sends people to re education camps for being of a particular religion without any trial at all the other does not.

Mod: I know you didn't start this, but please continue only on the Market Politics thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
My view on the matter is:

Pulling out of the deal (if it exists) might send a political message but add significant harm to the planet.

Staying in the deal has environmental benefits that far outweigh the drawback of the "political message" it would send.
If a deal does exist we could just keep it on the DL for a while... no need to rush it. Maybe postpone it or roll it out in a softer way.
As sad as this murder is (if it's true)... nearly every country has blood on their hands. Certainly the US is no exception. We have to move forward regardless.

Einhorn gonna get forced out:

Greenlight Capital's (David Einhorn) Q3 2018 Letter - Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) | Seeking Alpha

Over 25% losses this year

Gm down -6.2% this week
BHF down 5.7%
MYL down 8.7..

Finished selling his only horse: AAPL

Tesla rebound will end his fund. Guaranteed.

Dude is getting crushed. FINISH HIM.
Even CNBC said of his recent Starbucks position "I don't know why we still cover his activities, his record is pretty bad"
Then again, they give Mark Speagel plenty of coverage without applying the same standards. :D

Except the twist here is that somebody already flipped the switch and the trolly has already done its damage.

Tesla's choice is to either
  • a) Point at the person that flipped the switch and say "I will not associate myself with that person", or
  • b) Take a bunch of that person's money to make the world better.
To me (b) is the obvious choice. Its benefits are:
  • You make the world better.
  • You put money in Tesla's coffers to help make the world even bettererer.
  • You take money away from the bad guy and give it to the good guys.
3 big wins in my book.

I personally agree with you, but this is a utilitarian point of view, and people tend to be (incoherently) ethically kantian ;-)
Joking aside, in these hours and day Saudi Arabia is becoming toxic, people ar withdrowing deals and conferences, so timing is not on our side.

This could be still played well by Tesla, with a good message to explain why continue the deal: unfortunately we're not that good with PR...

Reactions: replicant and MikeC
Status
Not open for further replies.