Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More solar panels to provide all electrical needs for GF1 and sell power back to Nevada and California grids?

Using 627,264 off the shelf 350W solar panels at a 50% density and ~30 degree pitch placed over a square mile in Sparks, NV gets you a 220MW array with 40MW seasonal averaged 24 hour output. Or one gigawatt hour a day.
It would be impressive! (157 times the size of Ta`u's 1.4MW array)

@Cherry Wine
View attachment 350123
2lslol

Just not CRS-7 or AMOS-6 ;)

2h2 hours ago
Ihor Dusaniwsky Retweeted jon

$TSLA short situation is such a unicorn, I couldn't hazard a guess at what price would start a short squeeze ... but I do know that when and if it happens you'll see millions of share exiting in a stampede and $TSLA's stock price will resemble a SpaceX rocket launch

Always wanted to watch a rocket launch one day ....

Last edited:
Tesla can buy water rights.

Brackish water can be desalinated. Why don't we desalinate water generally? Because it costs an order of magnitude more than freshwater. But look above at how much freshwater costs in bulk. It's only too expensive relative to existing freshwater sources, and too expensive for farming. It's by no means too expensive for drinking. Current prices for desalination in the US are $2,50-$5 per... you're expecting the word "gallon", right? Nope. Thousand gallons. A quarter of a cent to half a cent per gallon. There's a gigantic brackish lake (Pyramid Lake) just to their north. The salinity is only 1/6th that of seawater, so desalination would be far cheaper. Tesla could afford to divert water into three streams - freshwater to itself, freshwater back to the lake, and concentrated brine to dessication (potentially with mineral extraction) - and actually help decrease the salinity of Pyramid Lake towards historic levels.

Tesla can afford desalination.

From my limited understanding of the economics of desalination my understanding was that other than what are significant upfront costs, the ongoing primary cost driver is ENERGY. In the many if not 10's of kWh per 1000 gallons of cleaned water either through membrane desalination or thermal (don't know the specific term). The energy INPUT costs are the primary driver. Wouldn't being in a desert and owning a solar power company be a significant advantage in that respect?

Firstly, 'not customer' is misleading: the 'entity' language was introduced in Q4/2017, i.e. has been there for almost a year - it covers both customers and other corporate entities Tesla does business with.

Secondly, if the fact that Tesla is owed more money than before and they still managed to generate 1.3 billion dollars in cash from operations is the worst shorts can find in the Q3 10-Q then that's actually very bullish: praise by omission.

I'd also like to note the sudden ironic switch of shorts being very worried about Tesla not as a debtor, but as a creditor! :D

I think I can add something useful that closes the lid on this particular line of nonsense from the shorts.

A Tesla spokesperson clarified to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday that the 10% "entity" was just a bank.

As was somewhat logical given the push to deliver cars and the mere fact that Q3 ended on a Sunday, one of Tesla's partner banks hadn't quite delivered all the cash for cars that had been financed and sold in the last days of Q3.

Here's the reference. Three takeaways from the 10-Q report that Tesla just filed - Los Angeles Times. Kudos to the LA Times (for once!) for printing the clarification. Also, kudos to Tesla for actually engaging with the LA Times. Maybe they'll start to have better coverage.

25k RWD the last week?
am i reading that correctly?
lemurs?

Yep. IMHO, people shouldn't read too much into the surge; they had to increase their RWD buffer because suddenly they went from selling mainly AWD vehicles to mainly RWD vehicles. Since they'll want to have a buffer X days ahead in time, they suddenly had a big need for more RWD VINs.

Production actually seems to have been tapering off in the past several weeks. But IMHO, this is a very good thing. When production rates drops, that generally means they're modifying the lines to increase production rates. You usually get some nice production-rate uncorking after these sort of dropoffs :)

What I'm most excited about is that Tesla registered some more European VINs. But of course, I would be, wouldn't I? ;)

Some quick thoughts about the truck Elon talked about in the Recode podcast:

1. I don’t see where Tesla would get the batteries for a high-volume truck in the next few years. 3 & Y should soak up most of GF1’s production, with Semi, Roadster, and TE using any spare capacity. As such, Tesla’s first Pickup almost has to be high-price, high margin, low volume.

2. As a low volume project, it can’t command a lot of CapEx. It should be able to share batteries & motors with 3/Y/Semi. It also needs to share production space— either with the S/X production line, or with the Semi production line.

3. I have no idea if it’s technically feasible, but I’d love to see it made on the S/X line. It looks like the line can produce 30k vehicles per quarter (120k/year) but Tesla is 18650 battery limited to ~100k per year. If Tesla could produce 20k/year Crazy CyberPunk Trucks (using 2170 batteries) on the S/X line, they’d more fully utilize their production capacity & increase margins on all three vehicles.

Well, I don't think they are going to build Y in Fremont, at least not only in Fremont. They're not going to build 10k/week+ in Fremont. I think they need another NA GF for Y+Pickup at minimum, possibly two if they can't do some production at Fremont. Those GF's will get their own cell lines with enough capacity to feed them. GF1 only has to feed Fremont (3, S/X after switch to 2170, anything else that gets built there) and GF1 (TE, anything else that gets built there).

Building the pickup on S/X line is a bad choice, at least without a major overhaul to the S/X platform (which arguably they're due for anyways), and even then I don't think there's really a good argument for sharing S/X/pickup. Just because other makes share SUV and truck lines doesn't mean you can easily build a truck on the S/X platform. Certainly if they did share a platform, S/X should switch to 2170 before or at the same time, not be running a mix - and then your argument to make a paltry tends of thousands of high priced trucks to take up slack in the production capacity (due to cell supply) would be solved by just building more S/X anyways.

What I'd like to see is that GF3 (China) and GF4 (Europe) move ahead on their own schedules, financed through local debt (like China), first doing GA of Model 3 and possibly Tilburg style assembly for S/X, and planning ahead to have the cell capacity lined up not only to bring up 3 production but also Y production at each location.

Separately, in parallel, I'd like to see construction for GF5 and possibly GF6 (if Fremont/GF1 can't handle the added production) somewhere in North America, someplace where housing workers isn't such a problem - perhaps targeting someplace where some existing manufacturers will be failing so that it's easy to pick up labor. GF5/6 should be georaphically spread apart - perhaps one in the rust belt, the other in the south. These will produce Y and pickup to start with, perhaps Semi. These may have to be built from cash (rather than debt) unlike GF3/4, so likely have to start one at a time. I would get Panasonic to install 1-2 lines ASAP and start with making TE cells and growing TE output. Once almost ready to start Y and/or pickup production, switch one or more cell lines to vehicle chemistry for a short while (perhaps a week or two?), then switch back to TE. This brief output will be enough to do initial start of ramping, and once you get close to needing a whole cell line's output, switch it over to vehicle output again, and have Panasonic install another pair of lines. The new lines may not even go to TE initially, depending on timing, may already have switched to pure vehicle output from the cell lines and need more.

Ideally, Panasonic cell line installation should stay ahead of the product curve and TE should consume the excess, which ideally should cover the costs (even if margins aren't great compared to vehicles) of the Panasonic lines, so that less cash is needed overall. As production ramps, switch cell lines as needed, and keep adding more cell lines. Eventually TE production will be plentiful once lines are ramped at all GF's as the total cell production capacity should be well beyond vehicle needs.

TL;DR : Pickup and Y should be high volume, and probably need at least two North American production locations (GF5 and either GF6 or what's left of Fremont+GF1), necessitating at least one if not two new NA GF's to be built. I think that by intelligently building cell lines ahead of production and using them for TE that a good portion of the costs can be covered, reducing the need for cash from Model 3/S/X sales. GF3 (China) / GF4 (Europe) should be largely funded by local debt and thus not impact this (but I assume Tesla still can't get favorable debt financing because Wall St and must use cash for NA growth). S/X line under-utilization will be fixed when they move to 2170 cells from GF1, and S/X are not good truck platforms. Semi may be built at any of the above locations, Roadster likely only at Fremont. At the rate of cashflow generation they're getting from Model 3 I don't think any of these are a problem in terms of costs, only in terms of timelines (time to build the building that houses the machine to build the machine ... ) if they want to get to volume production of any of Y/pickup/Semi in 2020. If they can get the buildings built in the next 6-8 months I don't see why they can't at least be doing initial start of production at the 10's or 100's per week range of Y/pickup/Semi by end of 2019, assuming they've been planning ahead and really learned from Model 3 this time (like they claimed to have learned from X, and S before it...).

Tesla patent addresses panel gaps using clever clamping assembly

Uh, oh, does that mean No more panel gaps ?
What will the bears complain about ?

If I were a bear I could complain about a no panel gap between the bottom trim of our M3's driver's window and the trim of its "mate" on the rear door. Indeed, they chafed and marked up the edges where they meet. A Tesla wrangler, or ranger, I don't know what they are called, came to the house to install the license plate holder for the front. I asked him about this. He promptly grabbed the piece, and installed it more forward and said he would order replacements for both since they were damaged, and come out to install once the order is filled. His hands were great clamps. No charge.

The driver's door is measurably easier to open now.

Status
Not open for further replies.