Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade journal AutomotiveNews.com is adding an image to its Fact Checking story.

Maybe this obsession with what was just a TMC joke is from someone who figures it to be some kind of payback for the outing of Montana Skeptic.

Except of course in this case, the consequence would be an overflowing of @Fact Checking's real world letter box with all kinds of job offers. :)

Unlikely: at this point they could easily have bought protective CALL options to cover that eventuality (the $920 notes require about 25k contracts - the January 2019 expiry alone has 221k open CALL options) - and maybe even more than that to nicely profit from any move beyond $360.

That's a much easier and a much more standard approach than to keep the stock price under $360 for the next earnings call, for the probable Moody's upgrade after the earnings call, and the probably S&P 500 inclusion mid next year, for which even more arbitrageurs might be buying after the next earnings call ...
Yes, I'm fairly sure Hedge writers use standard hedging options rather than stock market manipulation tricks.

Maybe this obsession with what was just a TMC joke is from someone who figures it to be some kind of payback for the outing of Montana Skeptic.

Except of course in this case, the consequence would be an overflowing of @Fact Checking's real world letter box with all kinds of job offers. :)

It's part of the reason people should be more careful about what they joke about in this thread. It becomes a source of FUD for those looking to spread FUD. If it gains enough traction that Musk is supposedly posting here under another name, does that trigger another investigation?

Keep in mind that this forum has outside attention, and not all of it is positive.

On the off chance you really are just misinformed on US taxes, the opposite is true. Not only does the US upper class pay the overwhelming majority of the taxes, the US tax system is one of the most progressive in the world:

imrs.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-least/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ef8af537c0cf

American taxes are unusually progressive. Government spending is not

The fact that so many people think this isn't the case is testimony to the power of the media to control the narrative.
Isn’t that only true for short term capital gains?
Isn’t that only true for short term capital gains?
Short term and long term cap gains are reported on individual 1040's as income. Short term is taxed as ordinary income and long term is taxed at the cap gains rate.

I'm gonna sell 20% of my TSLA shares when SP is above 360. We had a nice steady run-up from the $250 zone. There'll be a huge bull vs bear fight with bloody FUD coming and I expect the SP to drop back to $330 - $310?
Everything is going too good to be true.
After that, I assume Elon will send tissues instead of short shorts to the bears, because a lot of tears are going to be shed :p

(based on my own pure paranoia - not fact(s) )
Or 360 will trigger a mini short squeeze. It's gonna happen at some point.

NON-moderator warning:
I followed your Tw-links - PLEASE ALL NOTE that a bunch of those so-called "Verified Elon Musk" comments are not his - they're coming from "alovelikepi".

Caveat lector, all.

(If those are gone it means that Twitter's scam-sweep is working.)
Whenever I see those, I report them as spam. The more who do so, the faster they'll get nuked. Looks like Twitter recently added a second set of options which among other things includes flagging an account as fake!

Not necessarily. Don't things like buying and holding real estate or something inherently non-productive also give the lower capital gains tax rate? That's not exactly investing in building a factory or creating jobs, it's just a tax write-off.
Hell even stock market investment isn't investing in a company in a useful way, unless you're buying shares directly from a company (i.e. during an IPO or similar), you're not necessarily doing anything to provide value to the company whose stock you trade. Sure, if the stock goes up and you make money, it means they can sell more shares to gain money too, but that dilutes the shares and also they can't always just issue more shares infinitely.

Hell even stock market investment isn't investing in a company in a useful way, unless you're buying shares directly from a company (i.e. during an IPO or similar), you're not necessarily doing anything to provide value to the company whose stock you trade. Sure, if the stock goes up and you make money, it means they can sell more shares to gain money too, but that dilutes the shares and also they can't always just issue more shares infinitely.

Very true. However, if you couldn't sell the stock, there would be no financial reason to buy it in the first place. Thus, by buying after IPO, people create the tangible value that allows the IPO to happen in the first place.

Very true. However, if you couldn't sell the stock, there would be no financial reason to buy it in the first place. Thus, by buying after IPO, people create the tangible value that allows the IPO to happen in the first place.
Yeah, not arguing there is no value in it. Just that buying stock itself does not in any way directly assist the company it represents (unless you are buying a LOT of it, enough to move the needle - and even then, in theory, fundamentals should matter more in how the market values it). Buying stock allows you to participate in the mechanism that influences the perceived value of the company which in turn affects it's ability to raise capital, but there's no trickle down voodoo happening (not that there ever is, really - nearly always whatever should trickle down just goes into the pockets of those at the top instead, vs actual raising of capital via various means) in which your stock purchase from the market pays for some new intern's wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.