Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on that NTSB description, veteran users of AP will understand exactly what happened:

1. Model X was following a lead car.
2. That lead car was in the "non-travel lane", finally realized their mistake, and moved over at 7 seconds prior to the crash. That's why the steering begin to shift left--it was trying to follow the lead car, but saw the lane markings and then stopped following the lead car.
3. Model X then sped up to driver's set speed as it wasn't following a lead car anymore.
4. When a lead car changes lanes, AP can take a little extra time for the radar to lock on a new target (and stationary targets will be disregarded). That's a time where the driver needs to be paying extra-close attention. Same issue with the firetruck. AP following a car, car changes lanes, AP car runs into firetruck.

Recommendations:

1. Driver must stay engaged.
2. Tesla should work on rapid acquisition of stationary objects in radar's path of travel.
3. CalTran needs to update their road markings and improve signage/safety in that area.

Note that this scenario (lead car changes lanes to reveal a hazard) is explicitly covered in the manual. While Tesla should work on it, I wouldn't be too concerned about restrictive action. He who follows not the manual may experience negative results.

Case closed.

This is the second time I've closed an NTSB Autopilot investigation early for them. I think they need to start paying me.

Last edited:
Regarding NTSB report, please go directly to the report (thx to @JRP3's post), instead of give clicks to SA.

The report basically stated all the facts that are already known. At the end of the report it says:

Probable Cause
The information in this preliminary report is subject to change and may contain errors.
It will be supplemented or corrected during the course of the investigation.

No determination of probable cause is included in this preliminary report.

From the business side it doesn't sound much different from my own thesis. The short squeeze stuff and eventual stock price theories I don't have any opinion on.

So far as I'm concerned TSLA will clearly head up above $500 as the ICE market collapses and various automotive companies fail, but that will introduce so much chaos to the market that I have no idea what things will look like. Probably a war or three, with all the factories taken over by governments to build battle-bots.
for that scenerio, read "Autofac" or watch the video treatment on Amazon Prime "Electric dreams" (things go sideways)

Anyone have weekly calls this week?

I was buying them a few weeks back, at the 300 dollar call strike. Thinking was, make a few bucks hovering between 280-300. After a few weeks though, I stopped as was losing money. As the 'shareholder' meeting has really never caused a pop in the stock since I have been following, I had no weeklies this week, and presumed as in years past, it would be a 'non-event'.

Surprised we are so volatile in both directions today, and that for a moment there we gave up all of the morning's goodies. Could be:

1. Profit-taking.
2. New short positions.
3. All we see for now until 5000/wk is confirmed.

If (3), we should see another runup with confirmation of production rate.

Q2 call will cause another runup as it adds credence to profitability and production rate.

Profit/cash flow confirmation at end of Q3 will cause another runup.

Continued improvements to cash/income at end of Q4 will cause another runup.

Reactions: EnzoXYZ
Last edited:
You should be able to transfer some of the shares to your taxable account as your distribution. (Obviously you would need other money to pay the taxes due, if any.)

Ah, basically the same as selling from the IRA and buying in the other account... (without risk of market movement)
Now, if I had a Tesla on order, I could do the IRA to Roth net tax free swap...

Anyone have weekly calls this week?

I was buying them a few weeks back, at the 300 dollar call strike. Thinking was, make a few bucks hovering between 280-300. After a few weeks though, I stopped as was losing money. As the 'shareholder' meeting has really never caused a pop in the stock since I have been following, I had no weeklies this week, and presumed as in years past, it would be a 'non-event'.

I expected this year's shareholder meeting to give the stock a nice boost. Therefore I uncharacteristically bought June 8 TSLA 295 calls on Tuesday afternoon. Still have them. About 40 minutes ago @option_snipper bought this week's TSLA 320 calls and next week's 330 calls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.