Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wasnt expecting so much of a pull back from the 360s. bought back my 357.7$ call, thinking it was going to keep rising. should have known to hold tight.:mad:
If it offers some solace, I also rode some weeklies upwards on the climb to 364, then cashed out at 60% gains. When it dropped below 361 I got back in, just to see us ride further down.

I'm holding a bit longer however. I think these "dips" can lead to covering and a surge back above 360.

Reactions: LordAstinus
If it offers some solace, I also rode some weeklies upwards on the climb to 364, then cashed out at 60% gains. When it dropped below 361 I got back in, just to see us ride further down.

I'm holding a bit longer however. I think these "dips" can lead to covering and a surge back above 360.
i still have a good bit of shares back from 264$ that im holding on to, so i wont cry too hard.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
AFAIK, but correct me if I'm wrong, cobalt is mainly coming from DRCongo, which is a bit of a sh*t sandwich when it comes to human-rights...
Cobalt is mostly a byproduct that comes along with mining for nickle and copper. Stopping it's use would only drop the price and possibly cause it to be tossed aside as waste material.

How does replacing Cobalt in batteries with Nickel help the planet?

Nickel is found in more places and in higher quantities. Interestingly enough Cobalt is often found in Nickel deposits (along with some copper too), but not always in significant (process-able) amounts. You average mining grade for Cobalt would be like 0.7-0.3% while Nickle is more like 1.8-1.0%, off the top of my head. So you typically have to move 4 times more dirt to get the same amount of Cobalt as Nickle, and that's if you can find the stuff. So it's better environmentally to use Nickle on a tonnage basis and it can be sourced from countries that mine it with the environment in mind like Canada.

And don't get me started on activists protesting North American companies being in areas like the Congo so we don't, and then China just comes along and partners up with the government and does 10x more damage. /rant

Am mining engineer if you didn't guess. :p

Cobalt is mostly a byproduct that comes along with mining for nickle and copper. Stopping it's use would only drop the price and possibly cause it to be tossed aside as waste material.

Agree with a lot of that. Though there are definitely unique deposits, like in the Congo I think, where it would drop the overall economics to the point where they stop mining the ore overall.

Reactions: neroden and JRP3
Status
Not open for further replies.