Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Until Elon gives us some positive news, it’s going to be a bumpy. Let’s hope they fix those codes soon.

The next wave of news from Elon is probably going to be about an update to the sabotage per his e-mail schedule. I don't expect update of "everything looking well for 5K", but rather that sabotage played a big role of how much damage was caused to Tesla as it wasn't revealed how much setback it caused.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/19/us-stock-futures-trade-tensions-in-focus-for-investors.html
Dow tumbles 400 points, wiping out gain for year, as Trump directs more tariffs at China

This is terrible for business, Tesla included. Cost of raw materials goes up, market for finished goods shrinks.
Why do I get the feeling he's just shaking down these Chinese elites for family emoluments?

Sorry about making a political statement here, but these tariff tantrums make no economic or even political sense. They are truly bad for Tesla.

I think it could go down to mid-BB in ~ 2 days, hit about $315-320, then bounce back up. I just converted all my J19s to shares yesterday, so gonna sit this one out and watch.

Also, perspective is important. Just yesterday I was regreting cashing out some shares at $360 on Friday to pay for a M3. Today, not so much, and who knows, by the end of the week I might regret it again.

Best to develop a discipline of sticking to an entry and exit plan. I kinda stuck to mine. I wanted to sell at $360, but changed my mind seeing that it might have hit the top, sold at $355, but sad to see it went beyond $360 again. But then again, the reason I sold was because I had an impression that there's going to be a dip coming soon after all this stock price going vertical, and rebuy at cheaper price before the 3 weeks come and burn a lot of shorts. If I end up missing the boat, I have plan B: buy AAPL and ride the waves... But it looks like I may be able to rebuy some TSLA and put some money on the side for AAPL.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
The next wave of news from Elon is probably going to be about an update to the sabotage per his e-mail schedule. I don't expect update of "everything looking well for 5K", but rather that sabotage played a big role of how much damage was caused to Tesla as it wasn't revealed how much setback it caused.

He never said that he was going to provide an update on the sabotage did he? He said he would send updates on the progress of 5k/week... (And there is nothing saying that the update emails will leak to us.)

I don't think this is a TSLA-specific correction or a "pullback" from its run. I think it's purely from the market pullback due to tariffs, amplified by TSLA being a higher beta stock.

If you read the sabotage letter, they mentioned that it only affected BIW production for a few hours.

There were two different disruptions:
The fire only impacted the BIW line for a few hours.
The changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System had undisclosed impact:
I was dismayed to learned this weekend about a Tesla employee who had conducted quite extensive and damaging sabotage to our operations. This includes making direct code changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System under false usernames and exporting large amounts of highly sensitive Tesla data to unknown third parties.

There were two different disruptions:
The fire only impacted the BIW line for a few hours.
The changes to the Tesla Manufacturing Operating System had undisclosed impact:

Given that he mentioned a production impact from the former (BIW fire), and didn't from the latter--I assume there was no direct production impact from the latter. Based on the Model3 parking lot thread, at least there doesn't seem to be a significant impact to production.

It's a day-traders wet-dr

@jeewee3000 What app/website are you using to see the volume detail?

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=NASDAQ:TSLA is one of my favorites to go in detail. (Add indicator -> volume)

But in a pinch Yahoo Finance has good detailed charts I think. Just hold your cursor over the volume bar you want to know the numbers on and it shows you in the top left corner.

Stockcharts.com is good for daily/weekly charts, not intraday.

Reactions: Tslynk67
Best to develop a discipline of sticking to an entry and exit plan. I kinda stuck to mine. I wanted to sell at $360, but changed my mind seeing that it might have hit the top, sold at $355, but sad to see it went beyond $360 again. But then again, the reason I sold was because I had an impression that there's going to be a dip coming soon after all this stock price going vertical, and rebuy at cheaper price before the 3 weeks come and burn a lot of shorts. If I end up missing the boat, I have plan B: buy AAPL and ride the waves... But it looks like I may be able to rebuy some TSLA and put some money on the side for AAPL.
Picking price target also depends on if you want to trade or invest.

I most invest, so I enter whenever I can, I don't care too much about short term price fluctuation when I enter. I exit whenever I need to (such as cash out to pay for the M3). This allows me to hold for long term and decouple entry and exit, so I only have to focus on picking one price target at a time.

If you want to trade, then you have to guess the price correctly on both the entry and exit (and add timing if playing options), that seems way beyond my skills, kudos to those who can do it.

Reactions: Thumper and wipster
Given that he mentioned a production impact from the former (BIW fire), and didn't from the latter--I assume there was no direct production impact from the latter. Based on the Model3 parking lot thread, at least there doesn't seem to be a significant impact to production.
I think most places would have hourly or daily disk backup that would include the code, and on longer time frame, off-site backup onto tapes. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to restore the code that was damaged.

I think most places would have hourly or daily disk backup that would include the code, and on longer time frame, off-site backup onto tapes. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to restore the code that was damaged.

Depends on what they did. If they caused the system to mislabel incoming inventory, then that will be a pain to back correct due to the need to manually update the ground truth data/ physical inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.