Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think a repurchase is realistic. They probably ended q2 around 1.5-1.6 billion, which is too close for comfort in case of some unforeseen event. They'll be able to show cash growth in q3, and the sp would have recovered.

Trying to eke out that little bit with repurchase is not worth much in the big scheme of things.
Interesting, if they only bought any significant amount of bonds back on the open market now, while the bonds are discounted would be a double discount, not only less than 360 conversion, but also a discount to the original bond price. Cash will look bad after Q2 earnings, but by end of July when the 20,000 held back Q2 cars are delivered cash should be greatly improved. If practical it could be a major burn.

Anyone have any theories as to when the official Chinese factory announcement will happen? Think they will just roll that into Q2 ER to help soften the blow?

That is what I would like to know. A month ago we were told "very soon...."

So this is just pure speculation, but I think it’s a possibility that they don’t give the official announcement until August. It appears that the laws allowing full ownership don’t go into effect until Jul 30. It would make sense if they didn’t want to announce it until all the laws allowing it are actually in effect.

I’m adding this post (below) from the China thread where this was brought up. Again, *just pure speculation*.
View attachment 314059

The Special Management Policy for Foreign Investment in the Free Trade Zone (Negative List) (2018 edition) will be effective in 30 July 2018. Renewable energy auto manufacturer is excluded from the restrictions accordingly.

Is somebody able to confirm, if the following statements are true? To be honest, i've lost track a bit with all the trade war stuff, tariff changes and new proposed and implemented rules over the last few months.

1. There is no tariff on parts and material imported into the Shanghai Free-Trade-Zone (FTZ)
2. Cars built in the Shanghai Free-Trade-Zone and sold in China are subject to normal tariffs (as of today 40%)
3. A foreign NEV manufacturer (like Tesla) is allowed to set up a wholly-owned venture starting this year or in 2019 in mainland china and the FTZ.
4. A foreign ICE manufacturer (like most others) is allowed to set up a wholly-owned venture starting in 2022 in mainland china and the FTZ.
5. Tesla has set up a new company in the FTZ.

And do we know, if Teslas soon to be announced chinese factory is supposed to be in the Free-Trade-Zone or may they choose to build it in mainland china?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and wipster
I care because it affects the SP.

Or at least it seems to.

I wouldn’t persume anything about you, but you responded to my post and implied my questions were irrelevant due to what Wall Street et al think.

So I’d still like those questions answered; where exactly is Bloomberg getting those weekly M3 run numbers and how accurate were they for the final week of Q2 production?

That tells me (and you and Wall Street et al) if the source of the numbers is to be trusted or not moving forward for Q3 when trying to figure out if Tesla is going to be in the red or black - I’d think that is going to matter to everyone with money on the table, perhaps not.

So I’d still like those questions answered; where exactly is Bloomberg getting those weekly M3 run numbers and how accurate were they for the final week of Q2 production?

I thought those questions were rhetorical since this is not your first day here.

It is VINs reported to Bloomberg plus a bot search for VINs posted on the net. Run through an algorithm.

It is not perfect. Particularly for one week.

But it has been rather accurate for an entire quarter.

And it seems it is the best public number we have up and until Tesla releases monthly sales reports.

And it seems to move the short term SP. So it seems relevant to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.