Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@elonmusk
true visionary super genius entrepreneur
He is all of that. However, this kerfluffle is of his own devising, too. He should have had the wisdom (different thing than "genius") to ask someone, "Is it helpful to shift attention away from our executing on Model 3 and our incipient profitability onto this mess over here?" And someone inside the Elon Distortion Field should have had the balls to say, "No."
Robin

But the problem will soon be who is going to buy them (50K+ models). They need to produce the $35,000.00 version to keep the orders going.

you’re incorrect, at this time.
they said an astounding ~half of the orders wanted AWD, which was way more than i expected.
in time, they will make the base model (which one should still assume some people will purchase options packages for EAP).

But the problem will soon be who is going to buy them (50K+ models). They need to produce the $35,000.00 version to keep the orders going.

That's wrong. The global automotive market for Tesla roughly consists of the following regions:
  • North America: 25% of demand
  • Europe: 25% of demand
  • China: 25% of demand
  • Rest of the World: the remaining 25% of demand
Tesla so far has sold the $49k+ versions of the Model 3 exclusively in the North American region. It can tap the European next, probably with very little effort, and some of China demand as well (more effort there because they have higher tariffs on imported EVs), plus the rest of the world.

I.e. Tesla has only scratched the surface of Model 3 demand so far.

Also note that even if Tesla depletes all preorders in the next 1-2 years, they'll then arrive at a market position where BMW and Mercedes have been for the past ~50 years: no preorders!

There is plenty of demand for the SR version but they won't sell many $35K only cars as many will buy the premium package and EAP. ASPs will be close to $45K going forward once the SR ships. Demand will only change when there's a serious competitor at this price point which is 2-3 years away at least. But then that market will be so much bigger by then so no one really knows.

Reactions: wipster
Tesla so far has sold the $49k+ versions of the Model 3 exclusively in the North American region. It can tap the European next, probably with very little effort...

Yes please!!!

As someone in Europe, it's frustrating to no end to hear people saying "There's no demand." Um, HELLO, there's a world outside America, and so far all we can do is sit and patiently watch and wait for the "nonexistent demand" in the US to stop eating up all the factory output ;)

This is really surreal. Model 3 production is exciting right now. Tesla looks set to beat 6,000 at the end of the month. There has been no sign of stopping since early July. Yet the stock is under attack. And, if Elon did the conventional thing here, he wouldn't have said anything about privatization at this point and we may have already been approaching $400.

I agree but the "short" mantra on this stat is that Tesla is producing but there are parking lots full of unsold vehicles......

I agree but the "short" mantra on this stat is that Tesla is producing but there are parking lots full of unsold vehicles......

I do think we need to quit talking about production... we know now concretely Tesla can build high quality M3's at an ever increasing rate. We need to start talking about sales and deliveries and highly satisfied owners. The way to prove the parking lot FUDsters wrong is to show both the full AND empty parking lots.

What's going to drive SP increases while we wait for the going private deal to work itself out is to show without a doubt just how popular these cars are. And it needs to happen soon, before the end of the 3rd quarter. Tesla cannot afford to let demand decrease due to the enormous amount of CRAP being printed about Elon right now.

out is to show without a doubt just how popular these cars are. And it needs to happen soon, before the end of the 3rd quarter.

Unfortunately the narrative is not in your hands or my hands. It is in the hands of FUDsters and scamsters running NYT, WSJ, LAT, BI, Chanos and others.

If they chose to ignore all the good things around production and quality and demand and only keep the string of negative stories in spotlight, there is nothing you can do about it.

Tomorrow if Business Insider decides to run a story based on 'two inside sources' about how Tesla employees run gambling, prostitution and drug rings and have no regard for quality, that will get picked up by other outfits like AP, Rueters et all and they will run that story to ground for two weeks. So if these guys decide they can keep at these stories for another 6 months, one a week. So even if Tesla hits 10k/week all AWD M3 by end of Q4, the news outfit can choose to conveniently ignore it.

Muskovites can cry and shout from your proverbial roof-tops - TMC, Elecktrek, Teslarati, Musk twitter accounts - all of that will be drowned by the noise these FUDsters make.

Sick!

Last edited:
Unfortunately the narrative is not in your hands or my hands. It is in the hands of FUDsters and scamsters running NYT, WSJ, LAT, BI, Chanos and others. Up and

If they chose to ignore all the good things around production and quality and demand and only keep the string of negative stories in spotlight, there is nothing you can do about it.

Granted, these sites have an advantage, but any of us can get an article posted on SA and Fred would be more than happy to post a verifiable story about demand and sales on Electrek, plus we could all post on Twitter. So it can be done.

Unfortunately the narrative is not in your hands or my hands. It is in the hands of FUDsters and scamsters running NYT, WSJ, LAT, BI, Chanos and others.

Tomorrow if Business Insider decides to run a story based on 'two inside sources' about how Tesla employees run gambling, prostitution and drug rings and have no regard for quality, that will get picked up by other outfits like AP, Rueters et all and they will run that story to ground for two weeks. So if these guys decide they can keep at these stories for another 6 months, one a week. So even if Tesla hits 10k/week all AWD M3 by end of Q4, the news outfit can choose to conveniently ignore it.

Muskovites can cry and shout from your proverbial roof-tops - TMC, Elecktrek, Teslarati, Musk twitter accounts - all of that will be drowned by the noise these FUDsters make.

Sick!
Glad you were able to respond to my response to your response to my post in your original response by editing it instead of posting a response...

Status
Not open for further replies.