Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TSLA Market Action: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that it's a good opportunity (added some calls this morning) but I don't think it's one of the best windows over the "past few years". This is primarily because of the current macroeconomic climate and the uncertainty around Q4 deliveries. If there were ever to be any softness in Model 3 demand, even temporarily, it would be now. I've been saying this a lot over the last month or two, but I think bull expectations are still too high for Q4. There could definitely be a surprise to the upside, but I think we end up around the same level as last quarter (which the street will interpret as a miss). Despite MAYBE low-ish deliveries, I think Q4 earnings and cash flow will still be quite good and Q1 will be sensational if they can get meaningful deliveries to Europe.

actually, part of the reason I think this is one of the better windows of the past few years is that the overall market has pulled back.

several times over the past two years when I’ve recommended buying here or IRL to friends I’ve had to add the caveat that the overall market was reaching a run of time that would be unprecedented to continue without a 20% or greater pullback... so while Tesla was cheap, if that pullback hit, TSLA ould almost certainly initially go down with the market.

well, we’ve gotten out of the way the question of breaking century long precedent re bear markets.

now, it does remain to be seen whether the trade war/govt shutdown/interest rate hikes were just the transient concern triggers of this current selloff, or the beginning of a major hit to the real economy (ie a recession). I think the odds are considerably more likely the former than the latter, but, it is an unknown.

Last edited:
With today's 7% fall, TSLA is now down 2% via the otherwise-useless "year to date" metric. CNBC was happy to bring up this particular graph today, natch.

TSLA is a catapult winding up. By January 10th or so we will have a full picture of what the Tesla Model 3 has done to the other ICE manufacturers in the USA... we will see their total 2017-2018 declines, as well as Tesla's 2017-2018 climb. TSLA will respond accordingly.

If you bought today... congratulations :)

As factory production switches to focus on European demand, it will allow more information in the Model Y to come out. The anticipation rally will begin.

</bullish_post>

I believe Elon’s response was specifically related to such pre-December orders. I imagine this is a very limited group at this point (based on my own experience, pre-December orders in my area seem to be getting delivered).

Yes, considering my person experience:
1. 11/28 - ordered L3MUR
2. 12/05 - Car built - Can I take delivery?
3. 12/12 - Accepted delivery in Florida

I would have to say that the number of outliers who ordered by 11/30 but won't see their car delivered by 12/31 can't be more than a few hundred at worst. Even 1,000 customers who fit this criteria would only be $3,750,000 out of pocket for Tesla, which is rather inconsequential when you are profiting BILLIONS per quarter. Gotta luv the FUD. :rolleyes:

Ever since I started investing in TSLA (2012), I’ve had 5 big worries:

- A major recall of the S would bankrupt the company (didn’t happen)

- The X would be too complicated, become a maintenance nightmare and bankrupt the company (didn’t happen)

- The 3 would be some weirdmobile, resulting in no demand (looked like it might happen, but didn’t)

- The 3 would Osborne sales of the S/X, coupled with delays would bankrupt the company (didn’t happen)

- The 3 would not be ready in time, resulting in 2 idle factories (Fremont and Giga), bankrupting the company (almost happened, no longer a concern)

I just don’t see any more worries at this point, outside of a Fremont earthquake. Worldwide demand for the 3 is easily 7k/week. It’s a big world, and they don’t even advertise... and it’s an awesome product.
Great list. I've been invested in TSLA almost as long, and have worried about all of those scenarios (except for the weirdmobile one ;)).

Two things I would add are Sales & Service and Model 3 quality/reliability. I don't think that either could bankrupt the company, but they could certainly damage the brand, impact sales, and weigh on profits.

The problem with Sales & Service isn't that some people have a bad experience while some people have a great experience -- it's that the bad experiences reveal things that shouldn't ever happen in a well-oiled machine. The communication is the biggest issue most people have, and it would seem to be the easiest to fix. That and the months-long parts delays in body shops (any theories why this is still a problem?).

On Model 3 quality/reliability, I'm mostly talking about drive unit issues, paint, fit/finish, bumpers falling off, trunks filling with water, etc. The last two are probably rare, but still. A few weeks ago, I mentioned paint being a consistent issue and was "disagreed" with heavily, even though I provided several examples. Now the "Engineering Explained" video is making the rounds and the guy (2.2M followers) had ... several paint issues. Another bull on Twitter (@teslamodel3fan) had/has the white bumper paint mismatch on her brand new MR 3 which seems to be worse *after* taking it to the SC. Providing weeks worth of loaners can't be cheap ...

The way people lose money in the stock market is by:

1. freaking out and getting scared off,
2. getting greedy when we get a nice run,
3. over leveraging (which amplifies your emotions during a bad bet).

Tesla is now making money, they are expanding on all cylinders. This doesn’t sound like bad news to me. Although there are worries about the macros, US GDP is still up (3.4% vs 2% average).

When Trump was inaugurated the Dow was at about 19,800 points, it’s around 22,000 today. I think the market is over reacting and will recover in 2019.

Great list. I've been invested in TSLA almost as long, and have worried about all of those scenarios (except for the weirdmobile one ;)).

Two things I would add are Sales & Service and Model 3 quality/reliability. I don't think that either could bankrupt the company, but they could certainly damage the brand, impact sales, and weigh on profits.

The problem with Sales & Service isn't that some people have a bad experience while some people have a great experience -- it's that the bad experiences reveal things that shouldn't ever happen in a well-oiled machine. The communication is the biggest issue most people have, and it would seem to be the easiest to fix. That and the months-long parts delays in body shops (any theories why this is still a problem?).

On Model 3 quality/reliability, I'm mostly talking about drive unit issues, paint, fit/finish, bumpers falling off, trunks filling with water, etc. The last two are probably rare, but still. A few weeks ago, I mentioned paint being a consistent issue and was "disagreed" with heavily, even though I provided several examples. Now the "Engineering Explained" video is making the rounds and the guy (2.2M followers) had ... several paint issues. Another bull on Twitter (@teslamodel3fan) had/has the white bumper paint mismatch on her brand new MR 3 which seems to be worse *after* taking it to the SC. Providing weeks worth of loaners can't be cheap ...

Fully agreed. I really would like to see Elon focusing on quality/reliability and end to end customer delivery experiences soon after production capacity is at consistent ~7k/week.

Costs from damaged brand reputation from initial quality issues and costs to fix issues post delivery can seriously hurt future sales and profitability.

I hope they are ramping service center capacity in time to provide satisfactory services to the exponentially increasing number of tesla owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.