Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turn up heating to use less energy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was doing a 130 mile journey this morning, and I popped up the range window towards the end of the journey to see what % I had used in which area etc, and it suggested I turn UP the cabin to 22°C (I had it set on 18°C) to save 0.x% of energy. It was 5°C outside, so I don't see how making the cabin 22°C instead of 18°C would save energy?

It wasn't sunny, so can't imagine it was actually needing to cool the cabin at the time.
I wonder if it's something to do with removing excess heat from the motors/battery at the end of a journey, and dumping it into the cabin just before you stop prevents having to run the cooling fans as much when stationary?

Reactions: cmy4x4
I was doing a 130 mile journey this morning, and I popped up the range window towards the end of the journey to see what % I had used in which area etc, and it suggested I turn UP the cabin to 22°C (I had it set on 18°C) to save 0.x% of energy. It was 5°C outside, so I don't see how making the cabin 22°C instead of 18°C would save energy?
Maybe the car is American and got confused between Fahrenheit and Celsius?

I had the same suggestion yesterday on the motorway. 37F outside, HVAC set on 67F and it recommended me to up it to 72F in order to save 0.1% on the trip. It was so absurd that I went with it. The HVAC-related consumption went up pretty quickly indeed. It has to be a bug.
Another message I got said I could have saved 5% by driving slower than 68 mph. Speed limits here are around 80-82 mph on the motorway. It's pretty useless, I hope they remove some of these "recommendations".

Reactions: GtiMart
The speed recommendation is correct though. Speed limits are maximums, not minimums, you can still do it. You could also choose an alternative route if you wanted to. You don't have to follow any of the recommendations but they help us understand where the energy is being spent and what we can do to help. Except that "raise temperature" one obviously :)

Reactions: cappo3
The speed recommendation is correct though. Speed limits are maximums, not minimums, you can still do it. You could also choose an alternative route if you wanted to. You don't have to follow any of the recommendations but they help us understand where the energy is being spent and what we can do to help. Except that "raise temperature" one obviously :)
That's what I fear most, that people will actually start doing that... 😅 You can do so many things to save energy, some can make sense, some others really do not!

C7843047-67A3-4F66-AA33-1948FC52D404.jpeg

The first tip seems like an obvious bug to me. I don’t see how both of these tips could be true simultaneously.

Both zones were set to 68 F. This was at night with outside temps in the 40’s.

Another data point on this 2023 Model 3 RWD LFP - Driving 140 miles in 3F with the real feel of -20F (quite windy) I had the heater set to 66F (auto), seat heater was auto and the steering wheel heater on. Gave the same message indicating save 0.1% if I set the cabin temp to 72F.