Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning in my FanBoy status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used to be a pseudo Fan boy of Tesla- no more. I believe in steady but forward progress I.e. iphone, Porsche 911. Tesla unfortunately in my opinion has stagnated over the past year to the point it is more dangerous to drive a Tesla. A few points (no particular order)

-Interface totally sucks- please don't re-invent the wheel. UIs should evolve from MS-DOS to Apple Mac. This new interface is made for programmers not for driving in the real world. Less time going thru menus means more time looking at the road and reduce risk of accidents.

-It feels that the screen is less sensitive than before, I find myself really pressing hard on the monitor for it to register.

-Lag on the back up camera is dangerous. I reset the screen, this improved the lag for one day. I can no longer solely rely on the back up camera when I reverse as I did for the past 3 yrs.

-Autopilot/self drive has gone backwards. No significant improvement and at times worse than backwards. I paid a chunk of change for full self driving 3 yrs ago, still no self drive. Could I ask for a refund?

In summary, two steps forward, one step backwards.

Used to be a pseudo Fan boy of Tesla- no more. I believe in steady but forward progress I.e. iphone, Porsche 911. Tesla unfortunately in my opinion has stagnated over the past year to the point it is more dangerous to drive a Tesla. A few points (no particular order)

-Interface totally sucks- please don't re-invent the wheel. UIs should evolve from MS-DOS to Apple Mac. This new interface is made for programmers not for driving in the real world. Less time going thru menus means more time looking at the road and reduce risk of accidents.

-It feels that the screen is less sensitive than before, I find myself really pressing hard on the monitor for it to register.

-Lag on the back up camera is dangerous. I reset the screen, this improved the lag for one day. I can no longer solely rely on the back up camera when I reverse as I did for the past 3 yrs.

-Autopilot/self drive has gone backwards. No significant improvement and at times worse than backwards. I paid a chunk of change for full self driving 3 yrs ago, still no self drive. Could I ask for a refund?

In summary, two steps forward, one step backwards.
1. I don’t mind the UI. Yes it could be better and I understand why people are upset that some features take an extra tap. I probably wouldn’t have even thought twice about the changes if it weren’t for reading all the post about how dangerous the new UI is. But I live in Denver and drive in cold weather frequently. Somehow I have managed not to die and keep my butt warm.

2. Never had this problem in my 2018 M3 or 2022 MYP

3. I’ve seen vast improvement since I got the M3. I don’t see any difference (bad) in my MYP that doesn’t have radar compared to my M3

But to each their own.

Last edited:
Did you get the FSD beta? Our MX is in the program but our MY is not. I've seen improvements with the beta. FSD non beta has also received improvements. Wasn't long ago NOA didn't exist. Stopping at red lights and stop signs was new along with green light chime. Purchasing FSD on a subscription is new and really made it a no brainer. I can no longer recommend purchasing FSD for $12,000. That's a lot of cash. I don't use it much on the MY anyway.

The OP in this post is making a complaint that boils down to: "I dont like the UI, my screen lags sometimes, and I am not happy with autopilot".

These are not controversial stances in an of themselves, but the OP also specifically uses the word "fanboy" to "generate discussion".

Said another way, this is a bait style post, designed to generate a lot of back and forth, even though the points they make are ones others have made here. I would suggest anyone considering replying think about that fact for a moment. "That Fact" being that this post was specifically designed to get a rise out of people.

The OP in this post is making a complaint that boils down to: "I dont like the UI, my screen lags sometimes, and I am not happy with autopilot".

These are not controversial stances in an of themselves, but the OP also specifically uses the word "fanboy" to "generate discussion".

Said another way, this is a bait style post, designed to generate a lot of back and forth, even though the points they make are ones others have made here. I would suggest anyone considering replying think about that fact for a moment. "That Fact" being that this post was specifically designed to get a rise out of people.
Thanks but I don’t really need your advice on to whom I should respond. I don’t consider The term fan boy incendiary and you really have no insight as to why the op posted at all. This person has been on the forum for a year and a half and has over 170 posts he/she doesn’t seem like a short term troll. Without searching the post history, which I haven’t and doubt you have either, I don’t have any notion as to the motives. My guess is that this person is just frustrated by some of the recent changes. I don’t believe the OP broke any forum rules so we don’t need moderators trying to suppress discussion.

As for the actual post; have others seen the backup camera lag on their vehicles? I noticed that myself over the last couple of weeks. I usually only look into the camera when I’m backing into the garage so it hasn’t been a big deal for me but it’s definitely a glitch I’ve notice recently that wasn’t there before.

Good. Nobody should be a fanboi.
Nothing about OPs points, but I agree that no one should be a fanboy. I have very limited brand loyalty. I get cars that meet my needs at the time I need them.

I like my MY, but on my next purchase I'll take my experiences (good and bad) into consideration when making a decision on what to buy next. I dont plan replacing my other car for at least 6 years (and hope not to replace the MY for 9yrs). The landscape will surely be different then. I may get a Tesla, I may not.

Agreed and this isn't an airport so no need to tell us about your departure. Good bye. Hyundai is actively accepting applications for fan buy's.

I find myself agreeing to 3 of your points.

-I really wanted to love the new UI. Personally I do like the look of it. However now it takes more clicks to get to the seat warmer. Also while I’m on autopilot, if I stare at the screen for 2 seconds I get a beep from the car.

-My backup camera (M3LR) has been very laggy lately. On top of that it also has a tendency to go black. I’m part of the recall. No parts no solution.

-autopilot has really degraded. I agree that it was much better 2 years ago. Example: I’m on autopilot going 75, I see track slowing down in front about 125 meters down the road. AP does not slow down with setting of 7 car distance. I tap speed limit sign to bring it down to 65 and the car wants to get very close and brakes hard to come to stop.

Another example of poor AP. Car is cruising behind a car with 7 distance. The car in front is changing lanes. My car came to a stop with tires squeal as it waited for car in front to complete lane change. I have an infant in the car and this could have caused an accident where I am to be rear ended.

Not sure what’s been happening but things have not been the best.

Eh, if you don't like it, then sell the car. Easy as that. Or if you still like the other aspects of the car and want to keep it, maybe take it into service and see if they can remedy the situation? Since what you are saying is mainly software based, I guess that they can't help, but maybe find another solution.

All cars have their issue, but the difference with the Tesla is that it's tied to more of an EV movement as opposed to just buying a regular ICE car. Thus the fanboi-ism. I suggest you Turo other EVs for a bit and see whether those fit your needs. I totally agree that there are some nuiances with the Tesla, but after driving other cars, I am SO happy to be back in my Model Y, phantom braking and all.

Good luck man.

The term fanboy carries a hint of derogatory tone, describing a sort of immature and blind affection, hence the "boy" part. For those who truly believe in something, they won't mind being called a fanboy, myself included. But I don't think the OP is a true fanboy. He likes Tesla for the conveniences it offers, and perhaps even the fashionable idea of environmentalism, but does he truly believe what Tesla and Elon stand for? Would something this trivial change his worldview? Yes, V11 update is not perfect; yes, some firmware updates may have caused the backup camera to have a delay (not confirmed by any stretch of the imagination); and yes, FSD is still 5 years out at least, but are these worldview-shattering discoveries? A company that's still in its infancy compared to its competitors, and yet at the same time revolutionizing an entire industry, cannot have setbacks?

For the record, I don't care too much about V11, and I'm not a fan of all of the promises Elon makes but I understand perhaps why he's doing it. I hate the fact that he doesn't think too much about what he says or does that could trash his company stock (or maybe that's something I actually like, haven't decided lol). But the only way I would stop being a so-called fanboy is when he no longer believes what he's doing.

I've noticed this issue as well with the v11 software rollout. Hopefully will be addressed in a future update. Actually curious if newer Model Ys with the AMD processor are experiencing any lag.