Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning in my FanBoy status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks but I don’t really need your advice on to whom I should respond. I don’t consider The term fan boy incendiary and you really have no insight as to why the op posted at all. This person has been on the forum for a year and a half and has over 170 posts he/she doesn’t seem like a short term troll. Without searching the post history, which I haven’t and doubt you have either, I don’t have any notion as to the motives. My guess is that this person is just frustrated by some of the recent changes. I don’t believe the OP broke any forum rules so we don’t need moderators trying to suppress discussion.

As for the actual post; have others seen the backup camera lag on their vehicles? I noticed that myself over the last couple of weeks. I usually only look into the camera when I’m backing into the garage so it hasn’t been a big deal for me but it’s definitely a glitch I’ve notice recently that wasn’t there before.
Yes - the latest update seems to include video lag for the backup camera. Also a not very responsive outside temperature gauge.

Used to be a pseudo Fan boy of Tesla- no more. I believe in steady but forward progress I.e. iphone, Porsche 911. Tesla unfortunately in my opinion has stagnated over the past year to the point it is more dangerous to drive a Tesla. A few points (no particular order)

-Interface totally sucks- please don't re-invent the wheel. UIs should evolve from MS-DOS to Apple Mac. This new interface is made for programmers not for driving in the real world. Less time going thru menus means more time looking at the road and reduce risk of accidents.

-It feels that the screen is less sensitive than before, I find myself really pressing hard on the monitor for it to register.

-Lag on the back up camera is dangerous. I reset the screen, this improved the lag for one day. I can no longer solely rely on the back up camera when I reverse as I did for the past 3 yrs.

-Autopilot/self drive has gone backwards. No significant improvement and at times worse than backwards. I paid a chunk of change for full self driving 3 yrs ago, still no self drive. Could I ask for a refund?

In summary, two steps forward, one step backwards.
You mean one step forward and two steps backwards?

Interface - might help if you list out what you are trying to do while driving. Are you trying to change radio stations, search for music, navigate? Or are you trying to check your tire pressure or lookup your VIN. This will help give a little structure to your criticism.

FSD/autopilot - I don't disagree but this *sugar* is BETA and while falling for Elon's hype is forgivable there is plenty of guidance when you enable these features to set the right expectation and tone.

I find myself agreeing to 3 of your points.

-I really wanted to love the new UI. Personally I do like the look of it. However now it takes more clicks to get to the seat warmer. Also while I’m on autopilot, if I stare at the screen for 2 seconds I get a beep from the car.

-My backup camera (M3LR) has been very laggy lately. On top of that it also has a tendency to go black. I’m part of the recall. No parts no solution.

-autopilot has really degraded. I agree that it was much better 2 years ago. Example: I’m on autopilot going 75, I see track slowing down in front about 125 meters down the road. AP does not slow down with setting of 7 car distance. I tap speed limit sign to bring it down to 65 and the car wants to get very close and brakes hard to come to stop.

Another example of poor AP. Car is cruising behind a car with 7 distance. The car in front is changing lanes. My car came to a stop with tires squeal as it waited for car in front to complete lane change. I have an infant in the car and this could have caused an accident where I am to be rear ended.

Not sure what’s been happening but things have not been the best.
100% true here

you have to turn on the climate control just to get to the menu for the god damned seat heaters. that's a fail. can't even see the status of seat heaters without another tap.

the compass was "moved" because it wasn't in the way of ANYTHING, so now it is behind the navigate directions box. neato. winning?

Tire pressure is now in some submenu and monitoring it blocks the map. fail

Trip meters and efficiency meters now in submenu that blocks *sugar* when you want to monitor those things. what the hell? plus, it's all on a big page full of smaller font numbers? just wrong and not even close to better.

Why is this better? no, seriously...why is this better?

EVERYTHING that used to be glanceable and safe is now under a submenu. EVERYTHING useable and safe is under a submenu. good god that is a fail. (cell connection status, user profile, bluetooth status)

USB drives cannot be accessed once you choose a drive to start playing USB music. fail times 2. I'm restarting the effing computer while driving to get access to my other two drive partitions for music. just. plain. stupid.

i'll just wait for the next "improvement". maybe the stalk functions can be swapped. That will be fun.

Have you all forgotten you bought a car with no buttons? If you want buttons for everything then buy a BMW. Holy cow. The complaints about having to tap a screen, wait for it, OMG not once but twice the audacity of that car with no buttons.

Might I suggest these for you all and you can place these all over your car.

Have you all forgotten you bought a car with no buttons? If you want buttons for everything then buy a BMW. Holy cow. The complaints about having to tap a screen, wait for it, OMG not once but twice the audacity of that car with no buttons.

I like buttons inside buttons.

we are on this forum - hence the 'pseudo fanboy' status for all. Having said that - a few points.

Is it wrong to pay good money and expect a working product on all fronts? No it is not wrong. OP pointing out some of those issues

Having said that:

When you buy a Tesla you accept being abused as you are cutting edge. I understand all complaints and whining.

Do I like that my panels are different shades of white? :)

Do I like that FSD beta runs stop signs and decides to stop in the middle of the intersection?

Do I like the phantom braking?

No - and I paid good money - however - I am a pseudo fanboy and tolerate.. I even tolerate Musk tanking markets (crypto/TSLA).

What other company do you get such excitement from?

Can't tolerate the heat in the kitchen - best you sell.

we are on this forum - hence the 'pseudo fanboy' status for all. Having said that - a few points.

Is it wrong to pay good money and expect a working product on all fronts? No it is not wrong. OP pointing out some of those issues

Having said that:

When you buy a Tesla you accept being abused as you are cutting edge. I understand all complaints and whining.

Do I like that FSD beta runs stop signs and decides to stop in the middle of the intersection?

No - and I paid good money - however - I am a pseudo fanboy and tolerate.. I even tolerate Musk tanking markets (crypto/TSLA).

Yup. The Model Y is a flawed product but still great. There are enough alternatives now if you aren't happy - you should sell it and get something else.

Having said that:

Everything except the recommendation to sell. All cars with character have issues. It seems to be part of the package and people like to complain about it.
Tesla still has a lot to learn about "the basics" that other automakers have refined over the last hundred years.

Wow people really get worked up here. To clarify I still love my Tesla. My points really were not directed toward the opinion experts here on this forum but to the company to see if some these issues could be addressed. Is it really a good thing that the backup camera now has lag, is it really nice to have many submenus now (I am sorry I am not a computer programmer, I try to keep my eye on the road as much as possible). Also I appreciate all the productive comments in this forum to help rectify some of these issues such as resetting the screen to help with lag (didn't work very long).

• Disagree
Reactions: hatch and WhiteWi
-Interface totally sucks
-It feels that the screen is less sensitive than before, I find myself really pressing hard on the monitor for it to register.
-Lag on the back up camera is dangerous.
-Autopilot/self drive has gone backwards.

In summary, two steps forward, one step backwards.

I have never been a fanboy. I'm a driver and look at my Y just like I would look at any other car: as a mode of transportation that needs to keep me safe and comfortable in my daily drive. In full disclosure, I am and have been a Tesla shareholder for 5+ years.

In technology, its often "two steps forward, one step backwards" and sometimes its "one step forward, two steps backwards" (as it is, in my opinion, with the new V11 user interface).

When looking at Tesla updates, the key thing to me as a driver is safety: does the software update help me avoid accidents. I feel that the changes Tesla is making makes the car more fun but less safe. Nice new games and pretty light shows but Tesla's new v11 UI requires a driver to look at the center screen and hit multiple buttons to make changes to their comfort or get driver information, which is making the car LESS safe. I have never trusted autosteer since it only works for me on well marked highways (where it works well) and the lane departure warning is not reliable.

Not sure I'd make a $220+ bet on being able to manipulate a few car settings with these buttons, when Tesla could easily remove the capability with an OTA update.

Problem is, they only support 8 buttons. At this rate, those 8 available buttons will be used up in no time! LOL