TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Turo

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Quickturtle, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Quickturtle

Quickturtle Member

I'm curious what people's recent experiences here are about renting their cars out on Turo (haven't seen any recent threads on this). Is it a reasonable source of income or is the risk to the vehicle's condition too great? Does one have ways of controlling whether those who ride it are reasonable, or does the app provide little-no information on them?

2. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

I think it greatly depends on where you live. In SF might be pretty good! I personally planned on doing Turo but after a week with my car the thought of letting anyone else drive it seemed nuts to me. I know through TURO you can control who you rent it too but even if you made enough to cover your payment and then some all it takes is one accident and now your car is damaged and lost a good chunk of its value. No amount of money is worth that for me!

3. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

I dont know, simple things are tough to keep track of and inspect/monitor. If you are picky about the overall condition of your car, then it wont work
    if you tend to ignore minor scuffs/scratches, curb rashes, interior marks etc then sure it might work for you. Really depends on the individual IMO, you just cannot control everything and a curb rash is easy to miss on casual inspection until the car wash and you go "wait when did this happen???"

4. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Member

Wow, I'm cautious letting a valet park my car.

5. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

#5 Bebop, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    It’s been great. I did have 1-2 bad experiences (not damage related at all). I learned from those experiences and made some changes. But overall it’s been cool. For the most part, the people I deal with are people who respect the car and rules I set place. Turo does set a 30+ age requirment to rent out high end cars, Tesla cars being one of them. Though anyone who is 25-29 can rent but with a $1k refundable deposit at booking. No one under 25 is allowed to rent.

Another key aspect is to trust your instincts and do not be afraid to question someone. I’m very picky in terms of who’s requests I accept and that is a big part of the success I have had in terms of lack of any damage. I’ve denied plenty of requests. You don’t have to accept every single request. The app does provide SOME info but it’s all on you to do due diligence.

I’m at an advantage because I have the whole car wrapped in a clear bra. That has been absolutely worth every penny for me personally (for my own driving) and from renting out the car. If you don’t have at least the front half of your car wrapped in film, I’d be hesitant to rent out the car.

I would imagine you being in San Francisco it would work out pretty well. Where you live really matters too. It’s worth maybe doing one or two bookings worth to see if it’s for you/if you like it.

One time I rented out my car to someone who actually works at Fremont. They flew in to Chicago for holiday. Out of that I got a hookup for a private extensive Model 3 production tour next time I’m in the Bay Area :) So you never know who you might deal with.

6. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

I rented a MS from Turo recently for a road trip. The trunk was bent from the previous owner who couldn't judge the size of the car.

That said, I cleaned and washed it before returning it and treated it like it was my car.

If you're really attached to your car for whatever reason, I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise, just have to be aware that damage can and probably will happen on a car of this size.