Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Twitter and the Chief Twit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk says some really dumb things, to be blunt. It's fascinating to see someone who is clearly intelligent choose to speak out publicly in such careless way. There is no doubt he has moved farther to the right. Possibly far right.

Having said that, I think he is also unfairly judged and his comments are often taken out of context. We hear sound bites and formulate an opinion. I actually think he is someone with whom you could have a productive conversation. That's if you can get him to step out of his own echo chamber. He clearly lives in his own little reality but I think we all do to some degree.

Reactions: Js1977
Elon Musk says some really dumb things, to be blunt. It's fascinating to see someone who is clearly intelligent choose to speak out publicly in such careless way. There is no doubt he has moved farther to the right. Possibly far right.

Having said that, I think he is also unfairly judged and his comments are often taken out of context. We hear sound bites and formulate an opinion. I actually think he is someone with whom you could have a productive conversation. That's if you can get him to step out of his own echo chamber. He clearly lives in his own little reality but I think we all do to some degree.
What does "far right" actually mean, though?

Reactions: Obie
I don't know if you're trolling or being sincere. Far right = radical conservatism on the proverbial political spectrum.
I’m not trolling, why would you go on the offensive like that? l just don’t quite understand what “radical conservatism” means.
I’m quite a conservative kind of person. At which point would my conservatism be considered radical?

I’m not trolling, why would you go on the offensive like that? l just don’t quite understand what “radical conservatism” means.
I’m quite a conservative kind of person. At which point would my conservatism be considered radical?

Let's see... do you support book banning? Christian Nationalism? White-washing of history? White supremacy? Do you believe in any fascist ideologies? Do you embrace authoritarian rule? Do you think January 6th defendants are patriots? Do you believe in conspiracy theories surrounding populist ideas, such as those about DEI, Critical Race Theory and so forth? Do you believe in eugenics? Do you think "I like this guy" when you see Hitler or Mussolini on TV?

If not, you're not a far right radical.

Look, I have a lot of conservative friends. We get along great. You'll spot a radical when you see one, trust me. This goes both ways by the way. Radical Left is just as destructive and delusional as the Far Right.

A conservative? From Shrewsbury? Surely not :eek:
Hahaha! Touché! 😄

(although I doubt I would vote for Daniel Kawczynski even if I were allowed to vote in UK general elections).

But it's a serious question, though. The words "extreme", "far" and "radical" are used quite often these days, applied both to the left and the right, and I am not sure what they actually mean other than being used just to convey a pejorative connotation.

EDIT: @MikeChicago answered as I typed this. I'll have to read a bit into some of those definitions and make up my mind. I don't know what Christian Nationalism is.

Authoritarianism, though, is most certainly not exclusive to the right. And the "liking Hitler or Mussolini" would be a bit of a giveaway, yes, but I doubt even Musk does 😉

Last edited:
He needs to lay off the ketamine
I wrote on TMC forums about 2 years ago that I thought that Elon Musk had a mental illness unrelated to the autism spectrum. At the time, I got seriously down voted. I don't know whether overwork and drug use are either the cause or the effect, but Musk's behavior continues to trouble me, both as a car owner and a stock holder.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Hahaha! Touché! 😄

(although I doubt I would vote for Daniel Kawczynski even if I were allowed to vote in UK general elections).

But it's a serious question, though. The words "extreme", "far" and "radical" are used quite often these days, applied both to the left and the right, and I am not sure what they actually mean other than being used just to convey a pejorative connotation.

EDIT: @MikeChicago answered as I typed this. I'll have to read a bit into some of those definitions and make up my mind. I don't know what Christian Nationalism is.

Authoritarianism, though, is most certainly not exclusive to the right. And the "liking Hitler or Mussolini" would be a bit of a giveaway, yes, but I doubt even Musk does 😉
I think he is more of a Libertarian than a far right Republican. I also think he’s a more complex individual with a broad spectrum of opinions and views. I don’t think he is a radical, although he has said some pretty alarming things.

He seems to have a difficult time expressing himself, especially when confronted. It’s possible he is on the autism spectrum.

Reactions: KennethS
I think he is more of a Libertarian than a far right Republican. I also think he’s a more complex individual with a broad spectrum of opinions and views. I don’t think he is a radical, although he has said some pretty alarming things.

He seems to have a difficult time expressing himself, especially when confronted. It’s possible he is on the autism spectrum.
Ah the good old days when being a Libertarian was considered bat s**t crazy. 🤣

Think you are coming up against the fact that this is a thread in the UK part of the forums. What the US populous considers left (Dems) is probably aligned with centrist or even (for some policies) just to the right of the political spectrum in the UK. Although there is definitely a shift further and further right going on at the moment.

Just a note. primarily for those in the US, this is the UK subforum in case you hadn't realised. Nothing wrong with the debate while it's informatiuve and constructive, we just need to be mindful that some terms have different connotations over here. A republican here tends to be more anti monachy rather than conservative. A trump over here also means something completely different. Or maybe it's just me that constantly has to map US terms to ours.

Although there is definitely a shift further and further right going on at the moment.
I think this is debatable. More taxes, more government interference, more regulation... hardly right-wing values. I'm not commenting on the increasing authoritarian vibes because those are not exclusive to the right nor the left side of the spectrum and both Labour and Conservatives seem equally keen.
Quite frankly, I don't really see a huge difference between the two main parties in the UK.
But, as I alluded to earlier on, I'm not allowed to vote here so I'm keeping my head down and going along for the ride. It's certainly being bumpy at the moment!

The Overton window isn't static. For example, Thatcher was seen as right wing in her day, now you have a Labour party committing to policies that would make her blush.
And Maggie also effectively closed the mines, if only she’d known the green argument back then, and here we are with the Tory’s opening one, even it’s meant for steel production, and Labour are against it albeit for different reasons

It’s all a bit off topic, but interesting so long as nobody objects. I’m not sure many will stray onto the thread expecting help on why their range isn’t what it says on the website.

Reactions: init6
The Overton window isn't static. For example, Thatcher was seen as right wing in her day, now you have a Labour party committing to policies that would make her blush.
IMG_0939.png

???

• Funny
Reactions: MikeChicago