Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Two door handle replacements will cost me over $1100 - is there a cheaper way?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2014 Model S 60 has already been through one door handle replacement (left rear) for which the local service center didn't charge me anything even though technically my car was out of the 4 year/50000 mile warranty period.

Yesterday when I took the car in because the right (front and rear) door handles wouldn't open, I was told the cost of replacement would be a little over $1400 but they would waive the labor which would bring the cost down to $1100.

I read in this forum that door handles can be had for $200 on ebay so I checked it out and sure enough, there are pre-owned door handles available for under $200. Will a non-Tesla authorized auto shop be able to install these for me? Can someone recommend one in NJ (I live in central Jersey) ?

If the video above doesn't do it check with HSRmotors?

Jason Hughes‏ @wk057 Nov 16

Finally announcing the launch of my company's website, HSR Motors ! Competitively priced Tesla drive unit packages are getting ready to head out the door, along with other #EV related products. Stay tuned here and follow

While they specialize on the harder more important parts, they might have simple parts laying around from cars they are picking apart.

If the OP gets a used handle that he can be sure came from the revision... the swap is easy enough (couple hours your first time). I have one for sale that was a revision, I know this because it was swapped for me, and then I was in an accident a month later and got another one due to a change in door design. I'm sure there are similar situations.

Mine broke monday, i watched you tube videos. Took it out yesterday . The little gear broke. I got an entire unit off eBay. Its easy to do, you need 9mm , 10mm sockets, t35 torque bit, something soft to pop door panel off with. Took me about 30 minutes. Very easy if you watch videos .

Attachments

• 20171212_132205.jpg
    20171212_132205.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 341
speak of the devil.. finally got my S85D back after nearly 2 months at the body shop and -- you guessed it -- the rear drivers handle is stuck in "presented" position, and the door won't open.. which sucks b/c I place my briefcase/backpack back there while i'm driving.

Back to Tesla Service it will go :(

I got a very bright light and magnifying glass. Looked at why the gear broke. Seems a lot of water got into latch, caused a lot of corrosion.
The screws are rusted. I think some preventive maintenance of oiling the contact with the rod is in order for older cars, and if you are bored new ones. A little WD-40 Will work fine. I will pull other 3 and spray them with WD-40.